Thread: NRA question

NRA question

Do you think the NRA was Right, should there be armed guards in schools?
    http://www.mlive.com/opinion/kalamaz...ml#incart_2box

NRA question

No. Costs too much. More government. More government spending. I think there should be armed staff who volunteer to be armed, remove schools from PFZs, and have secured weapons safes strategically placed throughout. For the price of an armed guard for a year, you can buy a lot of weapons and safes!
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

NRA question

Now a private school can spend $ as they see fit...assuming none of their $ comes directly from taxes.
    Last edited by TheQ; 12-23-2012 at 04:18 PM.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

I think if their shield program involves using volunteers, implementing better policies, and just overall making sure schools are prepared for an active shooter like they prepare for fires I believe will be great. With proper training, firearms or not, volunteers can make schools safer.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    No. Costs too much. More government. More government spending. I think there should be armed staff who volunteer to be armed, remove schools from PFZs, and have secured weapons safes strategically placed throughout. For the price of an armed guard for a year, you can buy a lot of weapons and safes!
    +1000

Now a private school can spend $ as they see fit...assuming none of their $ comes directly from taxes.
    So if a private school recieves money for a school lunch program or a state voucher system for low-income children they shouldn't be able to hire an armed guard?
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    So if a private school recieves money for a school lunch program or a state voucher system for low-income children they shouldn't be able to hire an armed guard?
    If they have the money, sure. But rather than spend money on armed guards, who's training is dubious by the way, why not recruit volunteers from among the parents of children that attend said school? They would be more highly motivated, not to mention free.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

NRA question

These people shoot up places guns are not welcomed mall schools etc.people can kill with a 89cent bic lighter no need for ar-15 if these scumbags know guns will be there more likely they will its all about time they can get what that want done DONE .this is why they never shoot up police stations etc.This is just another way for the government to control the American people.if they make it hard to sell used guns that fall into bad hands will help the rest is garbage.

I hope you joined the conversation in the article on Mlive.

NRA question

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    I will stand by my statements.

^ This. Train teachers to carry and safely use firearms if something ever happens. I guarantee at least a few teachers in most schools would volunteer right away for it. Hell, at least a few teachers in schools probably have CPLs and firearms anyway, so why not.

There are plenty of parents and grand-parents that would take part in this. I am one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheGreek View Post
    ^ This. Train teachers to carry and safely use firearms if something ever happens. I guarantee at least a few teachers in most schools would volunteer right away for it. Hell, at least a few teachers in schools probably have CPLs and firearms anyway, so why not.
    I know at least 2 teachers at my sons' school have CPL, and the principal is getting his. They were all bummed out when SB59 was vetoed.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Banned
    The NRA should just point out that most state laws require the kids to be there and then they assume the responsibility for their safety.

And highlight that in Sandy Hook, they identified issues but took inadequate steps to address these security issues.

The town of Newtown, CT has zipped their lips on this subject and refuse to answer questions on this matter.

Teachers don't want to confront people so they don't. I have walked the halls of public schools testing to see if I would get confronted -- generally, no I don't. Security is a joke in our schools.

I think the staff should be allowed to have cpl and be armed.