• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Really? woman fired for being too pretty? Someone needs glasses

FreeInAZ

Wrong woman dude... ;)

abc_gma_attractive_employee_jt_121223_wblog.jpg

This one is not vomit inducing like the mug shot you linked above. Photo is actual woman involved in this mess.

Last edited:

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Yes...I was going to suggest that the OP got the wrong woman: There are probably lots of women named "Melissa Nelson" out there (search Google Images using that name for starters).

But even if he did have the right woman, mugshots have got to be the most "unflattering" pictures one can have taken so I wouldn't base my appearance rating soley on them. Besides, consider these 2 old sayings:

"There's no accounting for taste" (akin to "Love is irrational").

and

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

One thing I've learned in life is that no matter how "unattractive" someone looks, there's someone out there who actually LIKES it...which (as stated) is related to "Love is irrational." Have you ever seen couples that seem they do not AT ALL look "equal" in the "looks" department? Meaning that one is very attractive and the other just the opposite?

So there's HOPE for everyone...which is a good thing for some of us!

Last edited:

markand

I think the issue with this woman is that the relationship with her employer, the dentist, 20 years her senior, was becoming too personal. The dentist was sending her texts that, while not all that risque by today's standards, were too personal for what should have been a professional relationship. The real kicker was that the dentist found her attractive and the dentist's wife didn't like that.

I doubt that being fired for being "too hot" is going to be much of an impediment for her future employment prospects.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
True what you say about this case.

I was just addressing the tendency of people to make negative comments about someone they see as UNattractive. Who they are internally -- as a person -- is dismissed based on appearance, not to mention how they feel being told they're "unattractive" (but guys REALLY use worse words, don't they). It's not cool to be insensitive like that. Most of us looking in the mirror are hypocritical calling anyone else unattractive!

This especially impacts women as men aren't held (as much) to the same physical standards. Men can make up for unattractiveness with money, prestige and/or power. I suppose the same goes for unattractive women as well.

Still, IMO both situations are unfortunate, even though it is a sad reality.

Maybe always HAS been that way.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Well to be honest. Now that I've been through the ringer a couple of times in life. I will take a plain girl with a heart of gold over a smoking hot girl who can make a broom fly any day of the week. :D

EMNofSeattle

So, she was fired without cause so she can collect unemployment insurance while looking for a new job, something tells me she'll be just fine

Most states are "At-Will" for employment, unless this lady was under a union contract she can be fired for any reason except in violation of anti-discrimination laws.

Frankly if I were her I'd a just filed for UE insurance and started looking for new work instead of taking it to court. people have been fired for stranger reasons I'm sure.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Nowadays though, I don't think ANY reason is required to fire someone!

In most states, its always been that way .. at-will employment. eh, I don't like your shoe laces ..

Seen Packer fan fired in Chicago for wearing a packers tie (of course this is a justified reason IMO)

sudden valley gunner

I may or may not have let people go even when they are hard workers because they simple didn't fit in with the rest of the crew. Getting along at work creates a safer, better, more productive job site.