• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

examiner.com - OpenCarry.org demands end to 'make-believe gun-free zones'

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.examiner.com/article/opencarry-org-demands-end-to-make-believe-gun-free-zones

SNIP

In the wake of the Sandy Hook Elementary School murders, OpenCarry.org, a national gun rights group with over 30,000 registered members, has called for abolishing what it calls “make-believe gun-free zones.” In that organization’s press release, John Pierce, co-founder of OpenCarry.org, says it’s time “to dismantle the network of make-believe gun-free zones that attract and assist the sick people who attack the defenseless.”

. . .

since9

Campaign Veteran
Good start. Two more resources for your efforts!

I've been spending a good deal of time writing and calling various members of Congress, obtaining their feedback, especially their "Yeah, but..." responses, and incorporating key info and responses to those, as well. I've tried to incorporate a rational answer to every possible objection.

Here are the results, in three easy blog entries. PLEASE use/reference them in your letters to the President, Congress, local and state executive and legislative officers, as well as mainstream and non-mainstream news media.

Our RIGHT to Keep and Bear Arms is Fundamental to America – It’s an Inalienable Right - RYOC.US

Gun Free Zones – Fact vs Fallacy – A Letter to Congress and the President - RYOC.US

Sandy Hook Elementary School Massacre - RYOC.US

While you're at it, please use the following blog entry to remind your civil servants how important it is to the current and future health of our nation for them to stop playing politics for a moment and remember their Oath of Office to support and defend the CONSTITUTION. Our elected officials are far too easily sidetracked by supporting and defending one pet program after another, if not their continuation in office, often at the expense of the Constitutional requirements MANDATED by the Constitution itself.

The Oath of Office – Why It’s So Critical to the Health of our Nation - RYOC.US

Thank you.

- since9

Last edited:

ddy1954

Another resource for your efforts

I cam accross this interesting article concerning "Fake Gun Free Zones"; the part I found most interesting was the reference used was an article in the Connecticut Law Review, written by David B. Kopel, and published December of 2009, almost two years to the day before Sandy Hook. If those in power would read this article and give the NRA recommendations a fair consideration another tradegy like Sandy Hook may never happen.

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1369783

Z1P2

Mass murders will always happen ddy1954, there's not really anything you can do to prevent 100% of them.

MattinWA

I found this stat twice

more than 50% of crime is stopped by citizens, and two-thirds of that by an armed citizen.*

OncE used to describe mass shootings, once used to describe crime in general.
I would argue that more then 50% of crime is not stopped at all, and much crime goes by unnoticed by the general public at all.
Do these stats include unreported crimes? Unsolved crimes? White Collar crimes? Prostitutions are stopped by armed citizens?

Surely both stats cannot be true in both instances.
Is there clarification. Surely a list of these mass shootings and the outcomes all put in one place would be more effective then a twice used blanket statement with no supporting evidence. A link to such a page would not be hard to put into the original story, and would quell the nay sayers

I'm on your side in this fight and I agree with 2amd rights not being infringed... At all

But come on...
"more than 50% of crime is stopped by citizens, and two-thirds of that by an armed citizen" simply cannot be true.

I like your third story, the sandy hook one. It was a little more detailed

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

I found this stat twice

more than 50% of crime is stopped by citizens, and two-thirds of that by an armed citizen.*

OncE used to describe mass shootings, once used to describe crime in general.
I would argue that more then 50% of crime is not stopped at all, and much crime goes by unnoticed by the general public at all.
Do these stats include unreported crimes? Unsolved crimes? White Collar crimes? Prostitutions are stopped by armed citizens?

Surely both stats cannot be true in both instances.
Is there clarification. Surely a list of these mass shootings and the outcomes all put in one place would be more effective then a twice used blanket statement with no supporting evidence. A link to such a page would not be hard to put into the original story, and would quell the nay sayers

I'm on your side in this fight and I agree with 2amd rights not being infringed... At all

But come on...
"more than 50% of crime is stopped by citizens, and two-thirds of that by an armed citizen" simply cannot be true.

I like your third story, the sandy hook one. It was a little more detailed

So much of the crime isn't criminal.

I would say the statistics are skewed because they are reporting cops stopping state crimes not personal attacks. I will bet you the overwhelming majority of violent crime that is stopped is stopped by private citizens.

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
So much of the crime isn't criminal.

I would say the statistics are skewed because they are reporting cops stopping state crimes not personal attacks. I will bet you the overwhelming majority of violent crime that is stopped is stopped by private citizens.

Which is why statistics are so hard to come by. A crime that isn't committed isn't typically reported. Plus there are many instances of violence, whether offensive or defensive that are simply never reported.

I know that I tend to get into the mindset that if something isn't on the internet, or reported somewhere, it didn't happen, which is of course ludicrous. But I don't think it's an uncommon mindset in our society. The statistics that are available are through government reporting structures; municipal, state, fed, etc. A comprehensive view of violence in the country is, IMO, impossible.

Which is why of course it is necessary to always be prepared.