Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: NBC David Gregory breaks the law on TV?

  1. #1
    Regular Member Lord Sega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Warrenton, Oregon
    Posts
    317

    NBC David Gregory breaks the law on TV?

    NBC David Gregory held up a 30 round "a high-capacity magazine" during Meet the Press.

    LINK

    Now, my first thought is you have to prove this was taped in Washington DC, but that would be fairly easy to confirm.

    If that is the case, David Gregory broke the DC ordinance for possessing "a high-capacity magazine".
    If charged & convicted, $1000 and/or 1 year in prison ($5K and/or 5 years if second offense).

    Someone already started a White House petition to have charges filed on "journalist" David Gregory for whipping out an ILLEGAL 30 round magazine on national television. LINK
    Not that the petition will do anything, but maybe a call to the DC Chief of Police would.
    "Guns are not the problem … crazy is the problem” ... “We cannot legislate our society to the craziest amongst us.” - Jon Stewart
    “I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." - Tolkien

  2. #2
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Can you prove that this was in fact a 30 round magazine? No? Until you start stacking rounds in it or until you disassemble it all you have is that it "looks like it is" and that he said it was.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Gil223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Weber County Utah
    Posts
    1,428

    Gregory Should Try Mastering The English Language...

    “Here is a magazine for ammunition that carries 30 bullets,” Gregory said on “Meet the Press.”
    There is no "magazine for ammunition that carries 30 bullets".

    First of all there is no "ammunition that carries 30 bullets", other than that ammunition used in a shotgun - and those are technically "pellets" as opposed to "bullets". Not even sabot-flechette-loaded shotgun rounds hold 30 projectiles (20 or less seems about average).

    If (and that's a big IF) he was accurately describing the magazine he was holding, it would be a "magazine that holds 30 rounds of ammunition".

    He probably thinks that that "magazine for ammunition that carries 30 bullets" is only used in "assault rifles", too. Gregory, like most of the media personalities, has his head firmly implanted and locked in position. Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

  4. #4
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,350
    Why are you calling for a free man to be wrongly oppressed by the same unconstitutional laws that we so strongly oppose?
    Last edited by DreQo; 12-24-2012 at 10:51 AM.

  5. #5
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,272
    Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    Can you prove that this was in fact a 30 round magazine? No? Until you start stacking rounds in it or until you disassemble it all you have is that it "looks like it is" and that he said it was.
    That is all that is needed for a conviction. Remember that anything you say can be used against you in a court of law.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  6. #6
    Regular Member Lord Sega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Warrenton, Oregon
    Posts
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by DreQo View Post
    Why are you calling for a free man to be wrongly oppressed by the same unconstitutional laws that we so strongly oppose?
    Yes, we strongly oppose, but the law is on the books at this time, and if you or I can get busted for having one, he should be also.
    Equal under the law, even if the law is stupid. Let him (with NBC's lawyers & money) argue it's unconstitutional, if he wins then we all win.
    "Guns are not the problem … crazy is the problem” ... “We cannot legislate our society to the craziest amongst us.” - Jon Stewart
    “I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." - Tolkien

  7. #7
    Regular Member hjmoosejaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    N.W. Pa.
    Posts
    406
    Yeah, let him face the same music we would have to. These people think they're above the law. Like these Hollywood types that talk against our gun rights, but pay armed bodyguards to protect them and their kids.
    watch your top knot !

  8. #8
    Regular Member Redbaron007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    1,637
    If the DC gestapo don't at least look into it, they definitely show their bias.

    My guess, nothing will be done.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

  9. #9
    Regular Member Lord Sega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Warrenton, Oregon
    Posts
    317

    Update...

    Apparently, while mocking the NRA's suggestion to put armed guards in schools, David Gregory sends his own kids to a school that has armed guards.
    Gregory is not the only one. AND for a small school, they have at least 11 security personnel, plus Secret Service due to the President's kids being there.

    LINK

    ----------

    Side note, back to the possession of the 30 round mag. I kind of doubt that Gregory went out and bout the magazine himself, so if someone else (intern?) bought it legally in another state, brought it across state lines to DC, then handed it to other NBC staff members (transfer), who then handed it to Gregory (another transfer)...

    An aggressive prosecutor in DC could probably nail multiple persons on several charges on possession & transfer of that 1 mag at $1000 and/or 1 yr jail each.
    Last edited by Lord Sega; 12-25-2012 at 03:47 PM.
    "Guns are not the problem … crazy is the problem” ... “We cannot legislate our society to the craziest amongst us.” - Jon Stewart
    “I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." - Tolkien

  10. #10
    Regular Member Lord Sega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Warrenton, Oregon
    Posts
    317

    Another Update...

    SNIP “NBC contacted [the D.C. Metropolitan Police Department] inquiring if they could utilize a high capacity magazine for their segment,” Gwendolyn Crump, a police spokeswoman, said in an email. “NBC was informed that possession of a high capacity magazine is not permissible and their request was denied. This matter is currently being investigated.”

    I can understand calling the LEOs to clarify the law beforehand, but how do you ask for permission to break the law?
    And after being told it is illegal, NBC and David Gregory break the law anyway?

    LINK

    Again, it is one of many stupid laws on the books, but if you or I can be busted for this, David Gregory needs to be busted (and he can't claim ignorance).

    I would love for this anti to argue that it is unconstitutional. Let him and NBC's lawyers & money get the DC law voided in court.
    "Guns are not the problem … crazy is the problem” ... “We cannot legislate our society to the craziest amongst us.” - Jon Stewart
    “I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." - Tolkien

  11. #11
    Regular Member Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Seattle,WA, , USA
    Posts
    266

    Angry David Gregory,future criminal?

    And to add salt to the mix, NBC had asked the cops if it was OK to use the mag on the interview and were told 'no'.

    http://www.politico.com/story/2012/1...lip-85497.html


    "NBC was told by the Washington police that it was “not permissible” to show a high-capacity gun magazine on air before Sunday’s “Meet the Press,” according to a statement Wednesday from the cops."

    Still - this IS DC, and if journalism isn't King, it's at least prince.
    Wait to see the outcome.

  12. #12
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    That is all that is needed for a conviction. Remember that anything you say can be used against you in a court of law.
    No, an actual law would also have to be broken.

    I can talk about how I went 200 mph on the freeway in my Ranger all day long but charges cannot be brought against me just because I said I did. I actually had to.


    How many people in California has 30 rd magazines turned into 10 rounds to be legal? Is it not possible that this claimed "30 round magazine" could have been only 10 rounds?

    After they got the go ahead from the ATF they probably did in fact have a 30 round.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

  13. #13
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,272
    Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    No, an actual law would also have to be broken.

    I can talk about how I went 200 mph on the freeway in my Ranger all day long but charges cannot be brought against me just because I said I did. I actually had to.


    How many people in California has 30 rd magazines turned into 10 rounds to be legal? Is it not possible that this claimed "30 round magazine" could have been only 10 rounds?

    After they got the go ahead from the ATF they probably did in fact have a 30 round.
    You really need to talk to an attorney, thousands of people are convicted of crimes every year based solely on their own admissions. This is why it has been said so many times never talk to the police, and the same goes for talking to reporters, or making comments that are recorded. You obviously have not been paying attention. And yes if you admit to driving recklessly YOU can be charged with a crime solely on your admission.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  14. #14
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Ca Patriot View Post
    We are a nation of laws. As such, we must follow the law and everyone must follow the law.

    We in the gun community are working to change laws which is the acceptable way to go about things.

    However, just because some of us dont like the law doesnt mean we can allow certain people to break the law.

    In addition, we certainly cant allow certain people who are spending lots of money and using national media to turn more of us into criminals and further erode our freedom and liberty to be immune from the very laws they champion.

    Gregory must face prosecution.
    This small phrase "nation of laws" is so often misconstrued, its no wonder that then false logic that "everyone must follow the law" is so pervasive.

    We are a nation of laws not in the sense that free people must be restricted by the laws of the nation, we are supposed to be and were designed to be a "nation" of laws in the sense that our government is supposed to be restricted and governed by law and our constitutions.

    This is how our founders were also able to believe that unconstitutional laws or laws that go beyond the enumerated powers of the government are null and void. This is why we have the right to nullify laws we don't like.

    This is what Madison meant when he stated we are a nation of laws not men. English rule was increasingly contrary to English common law and the constitution of free men because it was way too subjective to the whims of the King and aristocrats in other words the rulers were not restricting themselves legally.

    So when you then look at that in a proper context we can absolutely "allow" people to break the law especially when we don't like it. And why I will probably never be a juror, because if they did any research on me and found out my views of nullification the prosecutor and judge will not want me there.

    Disclaimer: I am not encouraging or promoting breaking the law, but simply discussing it on lawful/constitutional groundwork.
    Last edited by sudden valley gunner; 12-27-2012 at 08:21 AM.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  15. #15
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    You really need to talk to an attorney, thousands of people are convicted of crimes every year based solely on their own admissions. This is why it has been said so many times never talk to the police, and the same goes for talking to reporters, or making comments that are recorded. You obviously have not been paying attention. And yes if you admit to driving recklessly YOU can be charged with a crime solely on your admission.
    I understand what you're trying to say, but it does not work that way. Even in our modern twisted society.

    If I hold up a 30rd magazine that has been converted to hold a maximum of 10rds and claim that it is a 30rd, then it would be a long uphill battle to get my convicted.

    The only evidence that they have is me trying to impress a point with a prop. That'll go far against my prop that shows I didn't have what I claimed I had.

    It would also be easy to prove that my Ranger is incapable of doing speeds in excess of some high dollar sports cars.

    So, no it does not work that way. Still.
    Last edited by 09jisaac; 12-28-2012 at 11:51 AM.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran MSG Laigaie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Philipsburg, Montana
    Posts
    3,135
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    That is all that is needed for a conviction. Remember that anything you say can be used against you in a court of law.
    The statement of rights is familiar to most Americans, even those who have never had any contact with the criminal justice system. It includes two components. The first are commonly known as the “Miranda warnings”.

    1. You have the right to remain silent
    2. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law
    3. You have the right to talk to a lawyer and have a lawyer present with you during questioning
    4. If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be appointed for you if you so desire
    5. If you do choose to talk to the police, you have the right to end the interview at any time

    Remember Tom Hanks in "Dragnet"? "You have the right to remain stupid....". So he broke the law, so what. They will say "Oh, sorry, won't do that again." and then release them
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

  17. #17
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,272
    Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    I understand what you're trying to say, but it does not work that way. Even in our modern twisted society.

    If I hold up a 30rd magazine that has been converted to hold a maximum of 10rds and claim that it is a 30rd, then it would be a long uphill battle to get my convicted.

    The only evidence that they have is me trying to impress a point with a prop. That'll go far against my prop that shows I didn't have what I claimed I had.

    It would also be easy to prove that my Ranger is incapable of doing speeds in excess of some high dollar sports cars.

    So, no it does not work that way. Still.
    It does work that way~~most convictions are based on foot in mouth syndrome, I suggest you search for the thread with the video on keeping one's mouth shut. Besides the video of his holding up the magazine the police have in his own words, easy conviction, if they would go after him.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,929
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    (snip)
    So when you then look at that in a proper context we can absolutely "allow" people to break the law especially when we don't like it. And why I will probably never be a juror, because if they did any research on me and found out my views of nullification the prosecutor and judge will not want me there.

    Disclaimer: I am not encouraging or promoting breaking the law, but simply discussing it on lawful/constitutional groundwork.
    +1

    Everyone is anxious to (figuratively) hang Gregory, yet if it were a vet, or a blue collar father of three, we'd all be outraged over the unfairness of it all. We can't have it both ways.

    I personally lean more towards the non aggression principal, and see it as a victimless crime for which no one should be prosecuted, even this idiot. It sets a precedent that we accept someone being punished for such action, and I can't support that.

    Of course, it would be sweet to ride the vicarious gravy train of vindictiveness to see Gregory held to the same standard as the rest of us lowly peons. I just can't accept the message it sends, that it's okay to punish someone for something we think shouldn't be a crime simply because we don't like the individual.
    But at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what we all think; he'll either get a slap on the wrist or get off scott free. We've got no say in the matter because we aren't the elite.

    However, I do think if we DID have any influence on the circumstances, I would prefer to go the jury nullification route. Imagine if we as a society refused to prosecute Gregory for this "crime", and in turn, everyone else who was charged with this non crime was also not prosecuted. We could end stupid laws and go directly to the last chapter of the Prohibition.

    Imagine Gregory's rage and indignation that the very law he supported, was NOT supported by the common people, and was in fact repealed by their refusal to obey and prosecute, like good little mindless sheep. It would take the "I'm in control!" right out of his hand.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    ripley wv
    Posts
    144
    If you hoestly believe anything will be done to this man. I have ocean front property here in WV I will sell cheap. Your dreaming if you think anything will come of this. Should charges be filed? YES, Will charges be filed? NO........IMHO
    I am not a gun nut, nor am I a nut with a gun
    I simply rufuse to be a helpless victim, I may be unable to stop myself from being a victim but at least I wont be helpless

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    ripley wv
    Posts
    144
    I hope im proven wrong.
    I am not a gun nut, nor am I a nut with a gun
    I simply rufuse to be a helpless victim, I may be unable to stop myself from being a victim but at least I wont be helpless

  21. #21
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,272
    Quote Originally Posted by eamelhorn View Post
    If you hoestly believe anything will be done to this man. I have ocean front property here in WV I will sell cheap. Your dreaming if you think anything will come of this. Should charges be filed? YES, Will charges be filed? NO........IMHO
    I don't believe anything will happen, a investigation will be claimed, and probably silently disappear after time. If he is charged I do believe the network attorneys will claim first amendment privilege by a journalist.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hampton, Va, ,
    Posts
    623

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    The mag he had is protected under the 2nd amendment ... right?

    So lets point it out that he violated an unconstitutional law !

    Then the guy may understand that the 2nd amendment offers him some protection too ...

  24. #24
    Regular Member Uber_Olafsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    585

    NBC David Gregory breaks the law on TV?

    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    The mag he had is protected under the 2nd amendment ... right?

    So lets point it out that he violated an unconstitutional law !

    Then the guy may understand that the 2nd amendment offers him some protection too ...
    Also lets point out that if it would have been your average joe they would have been arrested and this investigation would not even be happening.

  25. #25
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Ca Patriot View Post
    Gregory admitted that it was.
    Claimed.

    For all we know it was not an illegal magazine. It could have been an illegal magazine turned into a legal one and then used as a prop.

    After they got the go-ahead for the ATF though, I would not believe this to be true.


    Of course nothing is going to happen form this, but it shouldn't. Just because we do not like the man does not mean we should throw him under the bus for breaking a law we do not think is right anyways.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •