• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Was robbed of $300 in Dalton, GA!

Tanner

Hey yall! dont get to go to the feeding events as much as I would like. Figured I would give you a quick update. It's a very very long story but yea i was relieved of $300 of my hard earned cash! Really i cant wait for 2012 to be over! Hands down the worst year of my life and this was the cherry to top until my phone turned into a $600 paper weight. All things considered I am in good spirits and looking forward to visiting family in PA.
ps. would be nice if truck drivers had the same permit that repo guys have!

1245A Defender

Well,,,

I know , its a long story, but...
did this just happen in the last 1/2 hour???

Tanner

user-online.png

1.gif

Join Date May 2012 Location Chesterfield, Virginia, United States Posts 413

merry xmass to you and everyone els as well! Thank you guys for the support, showing me the light in terms of our rights, and exposingme to some of the best restaurants in VA. Again to every one happy holidays!​

" you shut your mouth when your talking to me " - wedding crashers

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Sorry Tanner. It happens.

Look at it this way, 2012 is almost over and 2013 is guaranteed to be..............worse!:lol:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Actual robbery or strong-arm tactics of some government agency? Your description could be of either event.

Sorry to hear about your loss. What ever you do, do NOT cheer up! During a string of not-so-good stuff happening some joker said to me: "Cheer up. Things could be worse." So I cheered up and by golly he was right - things got worse!

Let us know when you get back in the area - we'll set up a meet.

stay safe.

scouser

Hope otherwise you're ok Tanner, Grapeshot and skidmark were only asking about you on Saturday

davidmcbeth

Banned
Don't worry, its only money ... in a couple of months that $300 will be worth 3 pennies ... so look at the bright side ...

Happy Christmas !

scouser

Where was your gun?

Jim, he's an over the road truck driver, it was probably at home. Although there is nothing in Federal Motor Carrier Regs prohibiting the possession of a firearm in a commercial vehicle, a lot of companies have their own policy that drivers can't have firearms in the vehicle. I've been lucky myself that I have had some bosses who have taken us drivers to one side and said to us that although the policy exists he wasn't going to ask us if we have one, wasn't going to search the vehicle and consequently didn't want to hear about any.
Also, what would someone like Tanner do if he had to perform pick ups or deliveries in MD, NJ, CA etc? Wouldn't that state then be his destination and thus deny him the protection of 'just passing through'?

Last edited:

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Jim, he's an over the road truck driver, it was probably at home. Although there is nothing in Federal Motor Carrier Regs prohibiting the possession of a firearm in a commercial vehicle, a lot of companies have their own policy that drivers can't have firearms in the vehicle. I've been lucky myself that I have had some bosses who have taken us drivers to one side and said to us that although the policy exists he wasn't going to ask us if we have one, wasn't going to search the vehicle and consequently didn't want to hear about any.
Also, what would someone like Tanner do if he had to perform pick ups or deliveries in MD, NJ, CA etc? Wouldn't that state then be his destination and thus deny him the protection of 'just passing through'?

Didn't realize he was a truck driver. Guess the answer about the pick ups really depends on what stops he's making. From here to GA should be fine for carrying though, with the correct permits (aside from company regs)

scouser

Didn't realize he was a truck driver. Guess the answer about the pick ups really depends on what stops he's making. From here to GA should be fine for carrying though, with the correct permits (aside from company regs)

The thing with over the road trucking is when you go to work you don't know where you'll be going as you'll be out anywhere from a week to a month, you can go up and down the east coast more than once in that timeframe

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

I'm not sure Tanner has a permit...which is sad. That is one of the few situations where I'd encourage someone to get one.
I'd make fun of him....but he takes it in stride.

Tanner

yea like I said it is really a long story but it was actually 6 guys who robbed me. only reason it dident get physical was because my trainee walked around the corner of the trailer as soon as things went south. they already had the money so they split as one guy grabbed our attention. these guys definitely knew what they were doing. Scouser explained it well though. swift does have a no weapon policy. however.... i always carry at least one pocket knife at all times. I prefer a gun but its to tough considering what i do. My knife was open and in hand in my coat pocket. really i walked into the situation. every instinct told me that something is was off wich is why i was ready with the knife. What I didn't expect was for all of them to be in on it. will definitely be the last time i ignore my instinct like that though. and i look at it this way! I paid $300 for a great adrenaline rush. even though i kept a clear head during it afterwards was when the adrenaline really started to make a physical effect.
To Pauls comment about it getting worse! I live life with that understanding so I try to avoid thinking that it could be worse so im not shocked when it does.
LOL scousers comment about the fmcsr not having any restriction on firearms takes me back to my debut into this forum! and lets clear it up once and for all. The only restriction in the fmcsr that applies to firearms is a restriction preventing ORMD ammunition from being transported on any transit bus (greyhound) where there is also a firearm being transported. It does not have anything to do with trucks. however as scouser pointed out we are at the mercy of any locality we run through. since I train new drivers and at one point drive team it would be impossible to keep up with local law. after we can drive from Syracuse,ny to Salt Lake City,ut in 2 1/2 days.
But on a positive note! less than 4 hours until Paul comes to our homes and puts gifts under our trees and coal in our stockings!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
When you really reach the point that you think that life sux, consider that the alternative is really no alternative at all. Pain is mother natures way of teaching us to enjoy the good moments even more. Life my be hard at times, but it can be oh so sweet too.

Hang in there Tanner and come home soon.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
When you really reach the point that you think that life sux, consider that the alternative is really no alternative at all. Pain is mother natures way of teaching us to enjoy the good moments even more. Life my be hard at times, but it can be oh so sweet too.

Hang in there Tanner and come home soon.

+5

Come back soon Tanner and don't sweat the small stuff.

sidestreet

Expensive lesson eh, bro...,

Here's hoping you don't need a refresher course, and a Christmas wish/prayer for a happier, healthier, safer, and more prosperous New Year!!! I know it's hard tryin' to find/make your way home sometimes, but don't let that stop you.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 v. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

paramedic

I'm not sure Tanner has a permit...which is sad. That is one of the few situations where I'd encourage someone to get one.
I'd make fun of him....but he takes it in stride.

Administrators, please archive this, print it up, frame it, have it bronzed, and sent to the library of congress....Peter actually said encourage and permit in the same post.....

See, I told you I would keep up with VA posts....We do Love you Peter...Merry Christmas.