• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Yay or Nay? Carry in Public School used as a church?

richarcm

My cousin is a Pastor at a "church" that is held in a public Elementary school in Amelia.

Carry? Yes or no? :)

VApatriot

No, carry is not legal. Unfortunately, a designated school never stops being a school, even when non school-related activities are taking place.

Cite: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.1

§ 18.2-308.1. Possession of firearm, stun weapon, or other weapon on school property prohibited.

B. If any person possesses any firearm designed or intended to expel a projectile by action of an explosion of a combustible material while such person is upon (i) any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds; (ii) that portion of any property open to the public and then exclusively used for school-sponsored functions or extracurricular activities while such functions or activities are taking place; or (iii) any school bus owned or operated by any such school, he shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...a public Elementary school in Amelia.

Carry? Yes or no? :)

Depends.

If you are a good guy, then it would be seriously enough illegal that you should not do it.

If you are a bad guy intent on evil, then the penalty would pale in comparison to the other acts you have in mind, and you can ignore this law.

gearup

No, carry is not legal. Unfortunately, a designated school never stops being a school, even when non school-related activities are taking place.

Cite: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.1

§ 18.2-308.1. Possession of firearm, stun weapon, or other weapon on school property prohibited.

B. If any person possesses any firearm designed or intended to expel a projectile by action of an explosion of a combustible material while such person is upon (i) any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds; (ii) that portion of any property open to the public and then exclusively used for school-sponsored functions or extracurricular activities while such functions or activities are taking place; or (iii) any school bus owned or operated by any such school, he shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony.

That may not be true. I am in the process getting an AG opinion on dual use property.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
That may not be true. I am in the process getting an AG opinion on dual use property.

An AG opinion is just that an has no legal force.
Until there is a court ruling I say no. Christmas in lockup can't be much fun.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Keep firmly in mind what happened when someone asked for the AG's opinion whether or not a private organization renting public propertty could impose a "No Firearms" ban on the park. For those that forgot - we got screwed.

Unless you are absolutely sure of the answer you are posing, and that it is phrased so that the AG has but one way (the way we want it to be) to answer the question, you are jeopardizing all of our rights. There is plenty of case law out there, that the AG will surely cite, saying that being a school is not dependant on the presence of students/teachers.

Tell your cousin to go find a different hall to rent.

stay safe.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Besides which, there are two legal systems at work, and the Lautenberg "Gun Free School Zones Act" relates to the real estate at which the school actually congregates, not the school (which is a collection of people, not a place), itself. And local law enforcement do have all enforcement authority with respect to the criminal laws of the United States (though lots don't know it, and even more are in places that don't want to have to pay for enforcement of federal laws).