Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bloomberg Gets Told.. BY AN ABC REPORTER!

Bloomberg Gets Told.. BY AN ABC REPORTER!

That. Was. EPIC!

And a woman too haha (No offense intended to any women, they just tend to know less about firearms. I fully support women sporting firearms and definitely encourage it)
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Hahaha, what a doofus!

Apparently he hasn't heard of a G18.

I don't hunt (although I love the meat!) so hunters correct me if I am wrong but most hunters I know would consider it a bad kill if it takes more than 1 round?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Hahaha, what a doofus!

I don't hunt (although I love the meat!) so hunters correct me if I am wrong but most hunters I know would consider it a bad kill if it takes more than 1 round?
    I think it'd be a miracle if you threw 3 bullets down range at the same deer and still managed to kill it.

Hahaha, what a doofus!

Most deer or any game for that matter are killed with one shot,but sometimes it may take a second shot to dispatch the animal, very rarely 3. Its the ethical thing to do. Nothing upsets me more than to wound and lose an animal, but it happens. I wish bloomberg would just disappear, what a tyrant!!

tis true, typically 1 shot is all that's needed. occasionally though the deer or other large game will make it's way on the run if the first shot isn't placed well enough, then you have to track it, and usually you'll end up finding it downed somewhere but still alive and need to finish it with a 2nd shot. and on rare occasions you never find it.

also to note, .223 and 5.56mm are rarely used for deer hunting because they are NOT LETHAL ENOUGH.
    .223/5.56 are meant for small game (aka varmint), not anything 150lbs or larger

Actually I hunt with a single shot .223 and have no problem harvesting deer with it. I also know that this year a friend's boy took his first deer and used a .223. I also know of many urbanites who come down to the country and seem to believe "spray and pray" is the only way to hunt. Look I'm not saying multiple shots are not sometimes required for an animal on the run, nor am I knocking someone who empties a mag. shooting through heavy brush I have done both, but these "hunters who only fire their guns the day before season( if that, actually saw a guy who paid a guy to laser bore sight his gun and then hit the woods without ever firing it himself) need more practice. I know my gun well, I know how it shoots under every condition and sometimes I have to pass on shots due to the limitations of it. That knowledge comes from practicing and using my firearm, and includes all my firearms, not just the ones I hunt with, but the ones I use for protection as well.
    AUDE VIDE TACE

Quote Originally Posted by SavageOne View Post
    Actually I hunt with a single shot .223 and have no problem harvesting deer with it. I also know that this year a friend's boy took his first deer and used a .223. I also know of many urbanites who come down to the country and seem to believe "spray and pray" is the only way to hunt. Look I'm not saying multiple shots are not sometimes required for an animal on the run, nor am I knocking someone who empties a mag. shooting through heavy brush I have done both, but these "hunters who only fire their guns the day before season( if that, actually saw a guy who paid a guy to laser bore sight his gun and then hit the woods without ever firing it himself) need more practice. I know my gun well, I know how it shoots under every condition and sometimes I have to pass on shots due to the limitations of it. That knowledge comes from practicing and using my firearm, and includes all my firearms, not just the ones I hunt with, but the ones I use for protection as well.
    While I have no problem with anyone using a singleshot to hunt with, I do have a disagreement with your choice of caliber. In my opinion, and in many states it is illegal, deer should not be hunted with any of the .22's, i.e., the .222, .222 magnum, .221, .22 fireball, .22 hornet nor the .223/5.56, etc.. I don't think a .243 is sufficient for most full grown whitetail nor for mulies, though it may well suffice for Pacific Blacktail.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Re: Bloomberg Gets Told.. BY AN ABC REPORTER!

Good for her, if nothing else she at least did her research!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks,

Tom

----------------------------------
    Springfield XD-40 Service
    Taurus PT-111 Pro (3rd Gen)
    Desert Eagle .50AE Mark VII

Quote Originally Posted by OldCurlyWolf View Post
    While I have no problem with anyone using a singleshot to hunt with, I do have a disagreement with your choice of caliber. In my opinion, and in many states it is illegal, deer should not be hunted with any of the .22's, i.e., the .222, .222 magnum, .221, .22 fireball, .22 hornet nor the .223/5.56, etc.. I don't think a .243 is sufficient for most full grown whitetail nor for mulies, though it may well suffice for Pacific Blacktail.
    Finally someone at least mentions that there are many different size deer in various parts of the country. There are also many places in the country where the only shot you will get will be less than 75 yards on a deer that weighs less than 100 pounds.

There is no firm yes or no on whether the .223 is good for deer or not. It might be fine in your part of the country. The most important thing is to use the right bullet. The cartridge got its bad reputation because a lot of people were using varmint or target bullets that were disintegrating or not expanding at all, and working with limited effectiveness. With a proper big game bullet, the .223 will properly deliver its 1200 ft.-lbs.

Funny how a lot of people who swear you shouldn't use a .223 rifle don't have an issue with using a .44 HANDGUN. You also realize there are still people taking deer with arrows, too, right? You simply work within the limitations of what you are carrying. If we spent as much energy telling poor hunters HOW to use a .223 to hunt as we did telling them it is a bad choice, there'd be a lot fewer problems.

I use a .308 or .30-06 in NV because the ranges are long on a lot of the available shots, and the mule deer aren't tiny. But when I go to Texas, where my friend's land presents us a fixed 70-yard shot on a 100# whitetail, the .223 is very popular because it is very effective under those limitations.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Finally someone at least mentions that there are many different size deer in various parts of the country. There are also many places in the country where the only shot you will get will be less than 75 yards on a deer that weighs less than 100 pounds.

There is no firm yes or no on whether the .223 is good for deer or not. It might be fine in your part of the country. The most important thing is to use the right bullet. The cartridge got its bad reputation because a lot of people were using varmint or target bullets that were disintegrating or not expanding at all, and working with limited effectiveness. With a proper big game bullet, the .223 will properly deliver its 1200 ft.-lbs.

Funny how a lot of people who swear you shouldn't use a .223 rifle don't have an issue with using a .44 HANDGUN. You also realize there are still people taking deer with arrows, too, right? You simply work within the limitations of what you are carrying. If we spent as much energy telling poor hunters HOW to use a .223 to hunt as we did telling them it is a bad choice, there'd be a lot fewer problems.

I use a .308 or .30-06 in NV because the ranges are long on a lot of the available shots, and the mule deer aren't tiny. But when I go to Texas, where my friend's land presents us a fixed 70-yard shot on a 100# whitetail, the .223 is very popular because it is very effective under those limitations.
    I agree, I own a 30-30 and two 243s and the 243 from what I have witnessed is far superior than the 30-30. I LOVE a 243 for deer,makes insides turn to jelly,not much recoil and they dont go far at all if hit right. I think range is the key. I wouldnt shoot past 250yds with a 243,but my shots are 100 or less. 223 also will drop off qucker than say a 270 but is still deadly in its range.

I have an uncle who is known for unloading his whole shotgun at deer and still having them get away or having to wait until they bleed out. One year the deer was so wounded that it couldn't make it over a fence and he had to slit it's throat to put it out of its misery (got tangled in the barbed wire fence). So having extra rounds can always help...

Back on topic... nice to see a reporter correct his intentional misinformation.

Banned
    Sounds like Bloomberg is OK with me hunting deer with my mortar .. 1 shot, 1 kill .. every-time

Bloomberg is an idiot ... and his NYC folks keep on voting him in; NYC could fall into the ocean I would not shed one tear.

9/11

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by OldCurlyWolf View Post
    Seriously?
    What makes you a ballistics expert?
    My preferred round is a 22-250, the same .224 diameter projectile you question as capable. Kinda funny how all but one deer dropped in its tracks with that round, the only one that didn't was a buck on the run that leaped and face-planted into a slide for a few yards.
    I have had to track down deer taken with my 30-06, but not with my little .224 52 grain projectiles.

Quote Originally Posted by wethepeople View Post
    Most deer or any game for that matter are killed with one shot,but sometimes it may take a second shot to dispatch the animal, very rarely 3. Its the ethical thing to do. Nothing upsets me more than to wound and lose an animal, but it happens. I wish bloomberg would just disappear, what a tyrant!!
    I absolutely agree it's the ethical thing to do. Most hunters I know would be upset at themselves for not minimizing the suffering an animal would undergo or tainting the meat with adrenaline. Thank you for the clarification as I am not a hunter and have a hard enough time gutting fish I catch. (weak stomach).

By my place there is a summer cottage/campground mostly occupied by Metropolitan Canadians, I hit a deer one time with my car, happened to have a .22 rifle in the trunk, and put the deer out of his misery, broken collar(?) bone, should have seen the outrage of the Canadians and the weeping of the woman folk, threats of them calling the police. I didn't know if it was because I was able to carry weapons with me or the killing of the deer or the combination of both that made them irate. I called the Sheriffs office first to head off any misconceptions, the deputy told me thanks I just saved his fellow deputies from filing extra paper work.

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    I think it'd be a miracle if you threw 3 bullets down range at the same deer and still managed to kill it.
    Haha, I'd probably have better luck just tossing the ammo box at my prey......I am definitely not proficient at long range targeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutczak View Post
    Seriously?
    What makes you a ballistics expert?
    My preferred round is a 22-250, the same .224 diameter projectile you question as capable. Kinda funny how all but one deer dropped in its tracks with that round, the only one that didn't was a buck on the run that leaped and face-planted into a slide for a few yards.
    I have had to track down deer taken with my 30-06, but not with my little .224 52 grain projectiles.
    You don't have to agree. But in many states hunting deer with your 22-250 will get you a fine, maybe some jail time and you will lose your rifle.

Personally I won't use anything smaller than a .257 Roberts.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Aren't the police in NY routinely shooting people multiple times? They must be pretty lousy shots. Bloomers is unfit to make decisions for himself, let alone anyone else.

I'm not a hunter, but as I understand it things vary quite widely from state to state. Here's what Kentucky requires for deer hunting

LEGAL FIREARMS EQUIPMENT

Any caliber centerfire rifle or centerfire handgun. But, firearms

may NOT be able to hold more than 11 rounds (10 in magazine and one in chamber), may NOT be fully-automatic (capable of firing more than

one round with one trigger pull), and may NOT be shooting full metal jacketed or tracer bullet ammunition.

Shotguns, no larger than 10-gauge, shooting slug ammunition (includes saboted bullets) ONLY.

Muzzleloading rifles, handguns, or shotguns shooting round balls, conical bullets, or saboted bullets.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bunnspecial View Post
    I'm not a hunter, but as I understand it things vary quite widely from state to state. Here's what Kentucky requires for deer hunting
    I like to hunt cows ... they are crafty creatures but their meat is tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I like to hunt cows ... they are crafty creatures but their meat is tasty.
    "I prefer to buy my meat in a grocery store. that way no animals are hurt or killed in the process"

Quote Originally Posted by John Canuck View Post
    Aren't the police in NY routinely shooting people multiple times? They must be pretty lousy shots. Bloomers is unfit to make decisions for himself, let alone anyone else.
    There was a Q&A on another site with an NYPD officer and he talked about their range qualifications. I can't remember the details, but I have more range experience than many of their officers and I've fired maybe a thousands rounds ever (out of a handgun). Maybe a little more, maybe less. But basically it would have covered for a number of years because they only have to fire a hundred, two hundred rounds. Something like that, and qualification is easy. Like Texas CHL easy.

Centurion

Many things can happen to a bullet in flight to the target

Hahaha, what a doofus!

I recall three deer I killed with more than one shot. One was running coming my way through trees 30 yards away. I shot twice, thought I was on both times. When we field dressed the deer, it only had one entrance hole. On further examination we found two exit holes.

One was through woods near the top of a ridge, 90 yards away. I shot, saw the deer still there, shot again. Again, only one entrance hole in the deer. This time I found where the first bullet had nicked a log 20 feet in front of the rifle, and had never touched the deer.

The third one was running at about 150 yards through woods. My son was with me. I shot, the deer kept running. I whistled, and it paused, mostly behind a tree. I shot again, no reaction. I shot a third time, and it started running. My son said he saw it go down. When we found it, it had three bullet holes in it, one was a little far back, but would have been fatal. The last two were about 3 inches apart in the chest.

Deer usually run about a hundred yards when shot in the chest cavity. It does not seem to matter much if they are shot through the lungs with a .22 or a 30-06, or so my father told me, who shot hundreds. My experience confirms his.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast