• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bloomberg Gets Told.. BY AN ABC REPORTER!

bunnspecial

I'm not a hunter, but as I understand it things vary quite widely from state to state. Here's what Kentucky requires for deer hunting

LEGAL FIREARMS EQUIPMENT

• Any caliber centerfire rifle or centerfire handgun. But, firearms

may NOT be able to hold more than 11 rounds (10 in magazine and one in chamber), may NOT be fully-automatic (capable of firing more than

one round with one trigger pull), and may NOT be shooting full metal jacketed or tracer bullet ammunition.

• Shotguns, no larger than 10-gauge, shooting slug ammunition (includes saboted bullets) ONLY.

• Muzzleloading rifles, handguns, or shotguns shooting round balls, conical bullets, or saboted bullets.

Jack House

Aren't the police in NY routinely shooting people multiple times? They must be pretty lousy shots. Bloomers is unfit to make decisions for himself, let alone anyone else.
There was a Q&A on another site with an NYPD officer and he talked about their range qualifications. I can't remember the details, but I have more range experience than many of their officers and I've fired maybe a thousands rounds ever (out of a handgun). Maybe a little more, maybe less. But basically it would have covered for a number of years because they only have to fire a hundred, two hundred rounds. Something like that, and qualification is easy. Like Texas CHL easy.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Many things can happen to a bullet in flight to the target

Hahaha, what a doofus!

Apparently he hasn't heard of a G18.

I don't hunt (although I love the meat!) so hunters correct me if I am wrong but most hunters I know would consider it a bad kill if it takes more than 1 round?

I recall three deer I killed with more than one shot. One was running coming my way through trees 30 yards away. I shot twice, thought I was on both times. When we field dressed the deer, it only had one entrance hole. On further examination we found two exit holes.

One was through woods near the top of a ridge, 90 yards away. I shot, saw the deer still there, shot again. Again, only one entrance hole in the deer. This time I found where the first bullet had nicked a log 20 feet in front of the rifle, and had never touched the deer.

The third one was running at about 150 yards through woods. My son was with me. I shot, the deer kept running. I whistled, and it paused, mostly behind a tree. I shot again, no reaction. I shot a third time, and it started running. My son said he saw it go down. When we found it, it had three bullet holes in it, one was a little far back, but would have been fatal. The last two were about 3 inches apart in the chest.

Deer usually run about a hundred yards when shot in the chest cavity. It does not seem to matter much if they are shot through the lungs with a .22 or a 30-06, or so my father told me, who shot hundreds. My experience confirms his.

motoxmann

I recall three deer I killed with more than one shot. One was running coming my way through trees 30 yards away. I shot twice, thought I was on both times. When we field dressed the deer, it only had one entrance hole. On further examination we found two exit holes.

One was through woods near the top of a ridge, 90 yards away. I shot, saw the deer still there, shot again. Again, only one entrance hole in the deer. This time I found where the first bullet had nicked a log 20 feet in front of the rifle, and had never touched the deer.

The third one was running at about 150 yards through woods. My son was with me. I shot, the deer kept running. I whistled, and it paused, mostly behind a tree. I shot again, no reaction. I shot a third time, and it started running. My son said he saw it go down. When we found it, it had three bullet holes in it, one was a little far back, but would have been fatal. The last two were about 3 inches apart in the chest.

Deer usually run about a hundred yards when shot in the chest cavity. It does not seem to matter much if they are shot through the lungs with a .22 or a 30-06, or so my father told me, who shot hundreds. My experience confirms his.

then there's the time my father was out with his 30-06. saw a deer, shot once, deer took off. as it took off, a 2nd deer that was hidden behind it immediately dropped dead. the first deer dropped after running about 100yards. as it turned out, my dad hit the deer he aimed at perfectly in the chest cavity being a fatal wound, but the bullet went straight through and directly into the skull of the 2nd deer crouching down behind it. 2 deer, 1 bullet. how many can claim that? haha. and he never even saw the 2nd deer until it just dropped.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
I have never had it happen, but it happened to my father, once.

then there's the time my father was out with his 30-06. saw a deer, shot once, deer took off. as it took off, a 2nd deer that was hidden behind it immediately dropped dead. the first deer dropped after running about 100yards. as it turned out, my dad hit the deer he aimed at perfectly in the chest cavity being a fatal wound, but the bullet went straight through and directly into the skull of the 2nd deer crouching down behind it. 2 deer, 1 bullet. how many can claim that? haha. and he never even saw the 2nd deer until it just dropped.

Strange things happen if you do enough of them. They make good stories. My dad had to kill a deer with a knife, once. He thought it was dead, started to dress it out, and it had been only stunned!

bellyfat

hijacked

again he hijacked the conversation to a hunting scenario. the 2a is not about hunting. she got steered completely away from the cause.

Xulld

While I have no problem with anyone using a singleshot to hunt with, I do have a disagreement with your choice of caliber. In my opinion, and in many states it is illegal, deer should not be hunted with any of the .22's, i.e., the .222, .222 magnum, .221, .22 fireball, .22 hornet nor the .223/5.56, etc.. I don't think a .243 is sufficient for most full grown whitetail nor for mulies, though it may well suffice for Pacific Blacktail.

Do you have any data to support such a conclusion?

Lurchiron

"I prefer to buy my meat in a grocery store. that way no animals are hurt or killed in the process"

Sounds like you're a vegetable-tarian who is afraid to walk more than ten feet off of a logging trail for fear of getting lost in the big bad woods... You paper-punchers need to come up for clean(non-lead powdered) air & get out and enjoy the woods...JEEEESH
View attachment 9802P.S. I want to know which store you shop at if you like your meat alive & unharmed...

hermannr

Hahaha, what a doofus!

Apparently he hasn't heard of a G18.

I don't hunt (although I love the meat!) so hunters correct me if I am wrong but most hunters I know would consider it a bad kill if it takes more than 1 round?

As you probably know, hunting is highly regulated, and restricted in Europe,,,so I will tell you a bit about it, or at least in Germany.

You wear a green sport jacket and have a green tie on. If you do not get a one shot kill, they cut the tie in half...and then in half again if you take two shots on a second animal. Tradition demands that a successful hunter goes to the local "guest house" (kind of like a bar with a small restaurant and rooms to rent..when you drink too much) and everyone toasts the animal taken.

So, if it took you two shots to take the animal, everyone knows...you are not a good hunter...you have to make a clean one shot kill before you can wear a new, full length, tie.

Last edited:

SFCRetired

As you probably know, hunting is highly regulated, and restricted in Europe,,,so I will tell you a bit about it, or at least in Germany.

You wear a green sport jacket and have a green tie on. If you do not get a one shot kill, they cut the tie in half...and then in half again if you take two shots on a second animal. Tradition demands that a successful hunter goes to the local "guest house" (kind of like a bar with a small restaurant and rooms to rent..when you drink too much) and everyone toasts the animal taken.

So, if it took you two shots to take the animal, everyone knows...you are not a good hunter...you have to make a clean one shot kill before you can wear a new, full length, tie.

Thanks, hermannr, you brought back a lot of good memories. You left out that you shoot only​ what the Jagermeister tells you that you may shoot. Quite a bit of ritual involved, but I will say the gentlemen I hunted with were, first, last, and foremost, sportsmen.

PistolPackingMomma

Sounds like you're a vegetable-tarian who is afraid to walk more than ten feet off of a logging trail for fear of getting lost in the big bad woods... You paper-punchers need to come up for clean(non-lead powdered) air & get out and enjoy the woods...JEEEESH
View attachment 9802P.S. I want to know which store you shop at if you like your meat alive & unharmed...

I think your sarcasm detector needs new batteries...

MackTheKnife

Not corect

tis true, typically 1 shot is all that's needed. occasionally though the deer or other large game will make it's way on the run if the first shot isn't placed well enough, then you have to track it, and usually you'll end up finding it downed somewhere but still alive and need to finish it with a 2nd shot. and on rare occasions you never find it.

also to note, .223 and 5.56mm are rarely used for deer hunting because they are NOT LETHAL ENOUGH.
.223/5.56 are meant for small game (aka varmint), not anything 150lbs or larger

You need to check out some of the outfitters who guide hunters with AR15's. Some of those big Texas ranch places for example. Nothing wrong with 5.56!

Mercy

My last ex claimed to have done the same thing in MS with a muzzleloader. Said he, too, never saw the second deer, but the ball exited the stag and hit the doe in the spine.

He said the MS laws at the time (some years back) were "one deer, per hunter, per day" and he had the luck to have a kind and sympathetic game warden to explain it to. (I suppose the reload time on a muzzleloader helps with that.) He also added that his wife of the time was pretty peeved at having to process TWO deer for the freezer. ;D

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
tis true, typically 1 shot is all that's needed. occasionally though the deer or other large game will make it's way on the run if the first shot isn't placed well enough, then you have to track it, and usually you'll end up finding it downed somewhere but still alive and need to finish it with a 2nd shot. and on rare occasions you never find it.

also to note, .223 and 5.56mm are rarely used for deer hunting because they are NOT LETHAL ENOUGH.
.223/5.56 are meant for small game (aka varmint), not anything 150lbs or larger

I disagree, a .224 projectile is the deer rifle round of choice for me, and for many reasons.
I have not had to ever track a deer because they drop in their own hoof marks when I take them with my 22-250,

BUT! I load Barnes Solid Copper 53 grain hollow-points sitting on top of 38 grains of H-380, I am zipping the projectile downrange at damn near 4,000 FPS, I have only experienced one shot pass through a whitetail deer, and that was a chest shot because my preferred neck shot placement was not visible. I use Solids because a jacketed lead core would spin apart at those speeds.

I am now working up loads with a .224 projectile sitting on a 30-06 cartridge with a sabot for deer hunting, Now if you would have stated that a highly frangible .224 bullet in a factory load not being suitable, I would agree,

We-the-People

With the proper projectile and proper shot placement, the .223/5.56 is an acceptable round for deer. Would I use a NATO 55 grain FMJ? First that would be illegal in my state (Oregon) and second, it would be less effective than the 60 grain ballistic tipped hollow point that IS a good round for the job.

As with ALL shooting, shot placement is the main determining factor but you still have to use the proper projectile.