• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Private sales

Sorcice

Are private gun sales legal in ca? I am here on vacation and may be buying a used pistol. Didn't know if they are required to be transferred through an ffl.

Thanks!

EMNofSeattle

Are private gun sales legal in ca? I am here on vacation and may be buying a used pistol. Didn't know if they are required to be transferred through an ffl.

Thanks!

Handguns may not be sold to an out of state customer without an FFL transfer in the customers state. this is contained in the gun control act 18 USC 922

In order to legally buy it, at least at the federal level, you'd have to meet the seller, decide to buy it, and then the seller would have to ship it to an FFL in YOUR state where it may be transferred to you. At least that's how I believe it works, if I am wrong it's likely a more knowledgable member will correct me.

in addition california may have additional laws regarding that. that I know nothing about and after reading one chapter of the California Penal Code I've decided it would be easier to stay out of california entirely...

mjones

Thanks!

As already mentioned, per federal law all interstate transfers of handguns must be processed through an FFL in the recipients state of residents.