• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AWB in the past

Snazuolu

i have a few questions for those that lived thru the earlier AWB of the mid 90's. today i was wondering about handguns that do not use an extended mag but still hold more than 10 rds. would these guns be banned?? also what about the "handguns" (basically the sbr's that dont have a stock) that use the .223 round?? will the guns themselves be banned?

Fallschirjmäger

In the last AWB, handguns capable of accepting a magazine containing more than 10-rounds weren't banned, (Almost ANY handgun capable of accepting a magazine can take one that's extended to hold more than 10). What they did was ban the manufacture of magazines designed to hold more than 10-rounds. You saw a lot of magazines with the last inch or so made out of a block of plastic.

Of course, that was also when many of the compact handguns started to make their appearance along with major caliber firearms. If you can only carry 10, you tend to carry the most "10" that you can.

Most of the bans were "by name" with California's ( I Think) ban list leading the pack with several firearms that were only imported in very small numbers such as the Austrailian Leader Dynamics carbine, Calico Weapons Co. 9mm carbine and a host of others. Other states used a
"points system" where only a certain number of ""evil features"" such as bayonet lugs, protruding pistol grips, flash suppressors or grenade launchers were allowed.

Last edited:

Sig229

What they did was ban the manufacture of magazines designed to hold more than 10-rounds.

Not really.
They banned the magazine sales of 10+ magazine capacty to civilians. Bit they did however allow LE to buy hi-cap mags.
I remember a police officer had to send in some sort of letterhead from thier department saying they needed the hi-cap mags.

This is why a lot of rifle and handgun mags being sold on the market today say " For Law Enforcement or Military Only" on the mag body.