• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

David Gregory under investigation for having a 30 round magazine

Baked on Grease

"We are investigating to determine if the magazine was in fact real."

How much you want to bet they tell us it was not a real magazine... After how many hundreds of thousands spent during the "investigation"?

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Lord Sega

Update...

"Our sources say the D.C. police official informed ATF David could legally show the magazine, provided it was empty. An ATF official then called the staffer from "Meet the Press" to inform them they could use the magazine.

LINK

So, again, how do you get permission (DC police or ATF) to break the law? Do you think this would fly for a law abiding citizen?

Yes it is one of many stupid laws on the books, but if you or I can be busted for this, David Gregory needs to be busted (and he can't claim ignorance).

I would love for this anti to argue that it is unconstitutional. Let him and NBC's lawyers & money get the DC law voided in court.

Last edited:

randian

"Our sources say the D.C. police official informed ATF David could legally show the magazine, provided it was empty. An ATF official then called the staffer from "Meet the Press" to inform them they could use the magazine.
That's a different story than what Mark Steyn was saying on the radio today. He was saying that the police didn't give permission and Gregory showed the magazine anyway. If the story is changing, you can see where the foundation to give Gregory a pass is being laid.

HankT

State Researcher
. . .
So, again, how do you get permission (DC police or ATF) to break the law? Do you think this would fly for a law abiding citizen?

Assuming the show was actually taped in D.C., what if someone, before Gregory handled the object, removed the spring and follower? Would it still be a "magazine?"

If I were a producer on the show, that's what I would have done. Let Gregory wave around a shell.

hermannr

It will be fun to watch NBC spend their money on getting rid of a gun felony that is stupid. And, BTW: conviction will make another person that cannot possess a weapon..

Lord Sega

... what if someone, before Gregory handled the object, removed the spring and follower? Would it still be a "magazine?"
If I were a producer on the show, that's what I would have done. Let Gregory wave around a shell.

Someone bought it, or brought it, into DC (illegal). Everyone who held the mag would be in violation (possession) and then when handing it off to someone else (transfer).
If it was disabled (ie spring removed), if it could be readily restored, it's still in violation.

DC 7-2506.01(b) snip... "For the purposes of this subsection, the term “large capacity ammunition feeding device” means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition."

Last edited:

HankT

State Researcher
My God, he could have SHOT someone with that!

Someone bought it, or brought it, into DC (illegal). Everyone who held the mag would be in violation (possession) and then when handing it off to someone else (transfer).
If it was disabled (ie spring removed), if it could be readily restored, it's still in violation.

DC 7-2506.01(b) snip... "For the purposes of this subsection, the term “large capacity ammunition feeding device” means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition."

Well, it sounds like he is guilty, as long as the magazine was in D.C. Reminds me of the Sen. Jim Webb/staffer gun in the Capitol affair.

The network had contacted the police department prior to Sunday's broadcast "inquiring if they could use a high capacity magazine for the segment," police spokesman Araz Alali said on Wednesday.

"NBC was informed that possession of a high-capacity magazine was not permissible and their request was denied."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/26/usa-people-gregory-idUSL1E8NQ3M020121226

randian

I suspect that both the network will claim 1st amendment privilege, and probably the police expect this.
Of course they'd claim that. It's a stupid and legally worthless claim, though. What's next, holding a bag of heroin live on the air during a drug story and claiming 1A privileges too?

WalkingWolf

Of course they'd claim that. It's a stupid and legally worthless claim, though. What's next, holding a bag of heroin live on the air during a drug story and claiming 1A privileges too?

I agree that it is worthless, but DC is a liberal town where the liberal president resides. I don't expect much to come of this. I am guessing 1st amendment will be the networks response, and the PD will go "yea that sounds good".

Just a guess though...