• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New York Journal News Publishes Gun Owners' Names In Westchester, Rockland Counties

Status
Not open for further replies.

TigerLily

From the Huffington Post:

In red are my emphasis:

A New York newspaper is under criticism for publishing the names and addresses of local gun owners on Monday.

In a piece titled, "The gun owner next door: What you don't know about the weapons in your neighborhood," the Journal News requested the names and adresses of local residents who are licensed to own handguns through Freedom of Information Law requests. The paper requested information from Westchester, Rockland and Putnam counties. The paper was only given the names and addresses of those who have a license to own a handgun. The paper was denied its requests for the amount and type of guns owned by those who have licenses. Putnam County was still working on the request and has not yet released information to the Journal News.

The article includes an interactive map of Westchester and Rockland counties that allows readers to view those who have a license to own handguns around them.

The article also has an editor's note attached to it describing the type of gun the journalist who wrote the article owns. "Journal News reporter Dwight R. Worley owns a Smith & Wesson 686 .357 Magnum and has had a residence permit in New York City for that weapon since February 2011," it states.

Some critics felt the Journal News article put people in danger. "Do you fools realize that you also made a map for criminals to use to find homes to rob that have no guns in them to protect themselves? What a bunch of liberal boobs you all are," one commenter wrote on the newspaper's website. Others worried that the names would expose law enforcement officials. "You have judges, policemen, retired policemen, FBI agents — they have permits. Once you allow the public to see where they live, that puts them in harm’s way," Paul Piperato, the Rockland county clerk, told Journal News reporter Worley.

ABC News reached out to the Journal News for a statement. The paper told ABC that its readers "are understandably interested to know about guns in their neighborhoods," after the tragic shooting in Newtown, Conn.

The Journal News is owned by Gannett.

1. In red is a reason why I don't have a permit. I OC where ever I can.
2. My instant reaction was that the people that should be the most pissed are the ones that are NOT on the list. If I were a criminal, I'd check to see if the owners of homes I'd like to rob had weapons. If not on the list, odds are they will more likely be victims. (Well reported by the Huffington Post.)
3. My family is such a "flaming" open carrying family that I doubt any criminal who did any sort of "homework" would dare attempt to rob us.
4. Goes to show that when the liberal anti-gun media attacks, they get bit in the ass. How pissed I would be if I were a judge or cop that had pissed off a lot of "criminals."
5. Good luck making a list of criminals that own guns illegally.

Status
Not open for further replies.