• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When ‘assault weapons’ saved Koreatown

ccwinstructor

Centurion
This year marked the 20th anniversary of the Los Angeles riots, sparked by the acquittal of four Los Angeles Police Department officers accused of beating the now-deceased Rodney King. During the five days, mobs around Los Angeles looted stores, burnt 3,767 buildings, caused more than $1 billion in property damage, and led to the deaths of more than 50 people and left another 4,000 injured. A story that has been forgotten since then is that of the brave storeowners in Koreatown who fended off mobs with handguns, rifles and assault weapons.

On the second day of the riots, the police had abandoned much of Koreatown. Jay Rhee, a storeowner in the area, stated to The Los Angeles Times, “we have lost faith in the police.”

With the cops nowhere to be found, hundreds of people marauded through the streets towards Koreatown. The neighborhood suffered 45 percent of all the property damage and five fatalities of storeowners during the riots. Having had enough of waiting for police, Korean storeowners assembled into militias to protect themselves, their families, and businesses.

According to the Los Angeles Times, “From the rooftops of their supermarkets, a group of Koreans armed with shotguns and automatic weapons peered onto the smoky streets…Koreans have turned their pastel-colored mini-malls into fortresses against looters tide.”

Rhee claimed that the storeowners shot off 500 rounds into the sky and ground in order to break up the masses of people. The only weapons able to clear that much ammo in a very short time are assault weapons. Single shot pistols or rifles might not have been able to deter the crowd hell-bent on destroying the neighborhood.

By the end of the day storeowners had slain four looters and fended off the mob. It would be 24 more hours until the National Guard arrived and another two days before the riots were completely put down. Had the riots occurred just a couple of years later when the Congress banned assault weapons, many of these storeowners may not have been so lucky. It’s situations like the LA riots, which, while being rare, can occur anywhere from the streets of Los Angeles to far off countries during the Arab Spring.

Assault weapons are legal for this reason: they protect people from extreme cases of assault.

Many liberal pundits like talk show host Piers Morgan, who immigrated to this country several years ago, cannot see a reason why assault weapons might be practical to be owned by civilians. Had he been a Korean immigrant in South Los Angeles in 1992, he would have been decrying, “from my cold dead hands.”

In the wake of the recent tragedy in Connecticut, it is important to focus discussion with a more broad perspective on lawful gun ownership. Instead of creating a media blitz that fails to remember the day when a neighborhood was saved by an assault weapon. But lest it be forgotten, assault weapons don’t save neighborhoods, people save neighborhoods.

Ryan James Girdusky writes from New York City. Follow him on twitter @Ryan_JamesG. If you enjoyed the article please #RememberKoreaTown on twitter.

http://www.humanevents.com/2012/12/23/when-assault-weapons-saved-koreatown/

Last edited:

Keylock

Lessons to be learned... mostly that .gov is worthless. I'll never understand why any freedom loving individual looks to .gov for solutions to life's problems.

sudden valley gunner

Good post on several levels.

I just had a conversation with a man who immigrated from India many years ago. I was OCing of course and he has shown interest in getting a pistol for protection of his family.

He said something needs to be done and he is fine with handguns but doesn't understand and feels AR's shouldn't be available for people to possess. I of course disagreed with him and he asked why.

I mentioned the incident the OP has posted about. I think this helped possibly to change his mind not only that people were able to defend themselves but it was Asian immigrants who defended themselves and their property. I think he might have had a picture of just white "redneck" types being the only people who like these guns ( a picture painted of course by our mass media outlets).

Deanimator

Refusing to be a victim is seen as a BAD thing.

That's why the LAPD came along later and disarmed the Korea-Americans, some of whose businesses were subsequently looted and burned.

To the bath salts left, the ONLY truly "good" people are VICTIMS.

That's why they pretend to like Anne Frank and pretend that the Bielski brothers and Mordechai Anilewicz never existed.

To them, human society is just a big game preserve. When the antelope start biting the lions back, that's just "wrong"...

sudden valley gunner

Refusing to be a victim is seen as a BAD thing.

That's why the LAPD came along later and disarmed the Korea-Americans, some of whose businesses were subsequently looted and burned.

To the bath salts left, the ONLY truly "good" people are VICTIMS.

That's why they pretend to like Anne Frank and pretend that the Bielski brothers and Mordechai Anilewicz never existed.

To them, human society is just a big game preserve. When the antelope start biting the lions back, that's just "wrong"...

Damn really? I didn't learn about the after effects created by the PD, does not surprise me though. Have to quickly punish those who "took the law into their own hands".:cry:

They also don't teach us that the reason slavery declined in New York was because of the constant rebellion and violence by the "enslaved" against those committing violence against them. People there learned to be afraid to "own" anybody.

Last edited:

Deanimator

They also don't teach us that the reason slavery declined in New York was because of the constant rebellion and violence by the "enslaved" against those committing violence against them. People there learned to be afraid to "own" anybody.
Let me highly recommend the book Border War: Fighting over Slavery before the Civil War by Stanley Harrold. It goes into a lot of detail over violent resistance, not just to slavery, but to slave catching and kidnapping of non-slaves, especially in Ohio and Illinois.

Those are things that anti-gunners don't want you to know about. Blacks are supposed to be passive victims. Shooting at their wouldbe kidnappers just doesn't fit the narrative.

sudden valley gunner

Let me highly recommend the bookBorder War: Fighting over Slavery before the Civil War by Stanley Harrold.It goes into a lot of detail over violent resistance, not just to slavery, but to slave catching and kidnapping of non-slaves, especially in Ohio and Illinois.

Those are things that anti-gunners don't want you to know about. Blacks are supposed to be passive victims. Shooting at their wouldbe kidnappers just doesn't fit the narrative.

Written down and noted I look forward to reading it.

I think Will Griggs borrowed a phrase and altered it a bit from you. I have a feeling he peruses this site, several of his articles have been things we have heavily discussed here.

Scratch a 'liberal' Find a Fascist http://lewrockwell.com/grigg/grigg-w297.html