Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CEO of Publishers of NY gun owners names lives in NoVa

CEO of Publishers of NY gun owners names lives in NoVa

I read that the CEO of the parent company that published the names and address of NY gun owners lives in NoVa.

Gannett CEO
    Gracia C Martore
    728 Springvale Rd
    Great Falls, VA 22066
    (703) 759 5954

1. Did they post the names of Domestic Violence victims, Parole Officers, Crime Witnesses, ect., like they did in VA years ago, putting these peoples' lives in danger?

2. Is there some way we can organize a legal protest?

This is especially bad because the CEO is from Virginia. If they did, they must have KNOWN that they would be putting these peoples' lives in danger like they had done in VA.

Founder's Club Member
    Oh, I don't know that we need a protest. Maybe all we need is:

1. Verify the home address.

2. Send tons of letters of protest.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

I don't know where the original sources got his info.

Here is what I see:

Report that Garcia Martore is CEO:
    http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2012/12/...der_siege.html

WhitePages for Garcia Martore in Great Falls.
    http://www.whitepages.com/name/Graci...lls-VA/57fs2n2

Any way we can confirm it's the correct Garcia Martore?

CEO's address in VA:
    http://gannettblog.blogspot.com/2012...d-address.html

CEO's profile from their website:
    http://www.gannett.com/article/99999...cia-C.-Martore
    "In 2006 she was named CFO of the Year by Virginia Business."
    Last edited by NoVaJohn; 12-26-2012 at 09:46 PM.

http://www.gannett.com/section/WHOWEARE11#

Click on "New York", confirms The Journal News Westchester County is their brand.

Gannet is in McLean, VA.

I think this may have been their original source:

http://christopherfountain.wordpress...ephone-number/

I know this may be obvious so correct me if im wrong but this seems like a major invasion of privacy. These people are not sex offenders they are gun owners, wich is perfectly legal. Why are we being treated like sex offenders. I lived in upstate NY for 3 years, i would not be surprised to find my name on this list
    In our quest for knowledge we must be prepared for and armed against misinformation.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    I know this may be obvious so correct me if im wrong but this seems like a major invasion of privacy. These people are not sex offenders they are gun owners, wich is perfectly legal. Why are we being treated like sex offenders. I lived in upstate NY for 3 years, i would not be surprised to find my name on this list
    It is, but a legal one.
    I like publishing the private information of the Publisher and other people involved.
    The Va Watchdog published the ssn's of members of the General Assembly several years ago because they wouldn't change the law regarding online Clerks Office information.

After a fight that got to the Supreme Court, they blinked.

If you want to completely seal the information in Va. get the files of Police Officers wives that have CHP's and publish them. There is no whining in the world like a Cop on a mission.
    Last edited by peter nap; 12-28-2012 at 10:11 PM.

I dont understand how anyone thinks that this is ok. The whole concept pisses me off
    In our quest for knowledge we must be prepared for and armed against misinformation.

I dont understand how anyone thinks that this is ok. The whole concept pisses me off
    What, you mean like what's good for the goose is good for the gander? Or everybody playing by the same rules and plays?

What "whole concept" are you referring too? Remember we are not in your head and only know what you type, not what you mean.
    Last edited by Motofixxer; 12-29-2012 at 12:41 AM.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

The "whole concept" is implied in the conversation! I dont think it is that unclear what I meant. Clearly I was talking about solar flares, and the polar ice caps.
    Yes my brain is dumb but my a$$ is smart.

Quote Originally Posted by tanner View Post
    the "whole concept" is implied in the conversation! I dont think it is that unclear what i meant. Clearly i was talking about solar flares, and the polar ice caps.
    lol

Founder's Club Member
    The "whole concept" is implied in the conversation! I dont think it is that unclear what I meant. Clearly I was talking about solar flares, and the polar ice caps.
    Your a$$ still didn't answer the question. Are you opposed to the publishing of gun owner names and locations, dissemination of the publishers' personal info, or both?
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

But Wait -- there's more!

More names are coming:

Journal News To List More Gun Permit Holders After Uproar
    A suburban New York newspaper that sparked an uproar among gun enthusiasts by publishing names and addresses of residents holding pistol permits is now planning to publish even more identities of permit-toting locals.

Further names and addresses will be added as they become available to a map originally published on Dec. 24 in the White Plains, New York-based Journal News, the newspaper said.

The newspaper's editor and vice president of news, CynDee Royle, earlier in the week defended the decision to list the permit holders.

"We knew publication of the database would be controversial, but we felt sharing as much information as we could about gun ownership in our area was important in the aftermath of the Newtown shootings," she said.

Some critics retaliated by posting reporters' and editors' addresses and other personal information online.

Howard Good, a journalism professor at the State University of New York at New Paltz, called the critics' response childish and petulant.

"It doesn't move the issue of gun control to the level of intelligent public discussion," he said. "Instead, it transforms what should be a rational public debate on a contentious issue into ugly gutter fighting."
    So, fighting back is "ugly" -- gun owners defending themselves against all evil is perfectly beautiful.

Howard Good, a journalism professor at the State University of New York at New Paltz, called the critics' response childish and petulant.

"It doesn't move the issue of gun control to the level of intelligent public discussion," he said. "Instead, it transforms what should be a rational public debate on a contentious issue into ugly gutter fighting."
    I wonder why whenever one of those pencilnecks gets his/her toes stepped on, they fall back on this?
    Come to think of it...they do it on both sides of the fence!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I wonder why whenever one of those pencilnecks gets his/her toes stepped on, they fall back on this?
    Come to think of it...they do it on both sides of the fence!
    Tell 'em to come on in, the water is fine.

For each name and address they publish, we'll raise 'em one. We'll see who holds 'em and who folds 'em.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

They are doubling down, publishing an additional entire county of gun owners names.

This is so wrong.

Does Gracia Martore have a Virginia CHP?
    That would be public information, would it not?

Quote Originally Posted by t3a1s5 View Post
    Does Gracia Martore have a Virginia CHP?
    That would be public information, would it not?
    why not just go ask him? Honestly I have been wanting to take a sunday drive out to say hello myself. The way i see it they wont see the danger until random people start showing up and random times.

Quote Originally Posted by crazydude6030 View Post
    why not just go ask him? Honestly I have been wanting to take a sunday drive out to say hello myself. The way i see it they wont see the danger until random people start showing up and random times.
    Guys, I'm a great believer in 2 wrongs making me feel great....BUT do you really want to sink below their level.
    Just a thought since I don't have a dog in this fight either.
    Last edited by peter nap; 12-31-2012 at 01:24 PM.

Guys, I'm a great believer in 2 wrongs making me feel great....BUT do you really want to sink below their level.
    Just a thought since I don't have a dog in this fight either.
    It is an opportunity to educate a person who can stop this madness. It’s easy to read a letter from a few ticked off gun owners, but it’s another to ignore someone knocking on the front door because of the presses carelessness.

Sinking to their level, well I guess that’s already been done with the addresses being published. What options do we have to really make our point though?

• Protest at locations?
    • Write letters to work and personal addresses?
    • Ignore the issue?
    • Visit them in person explaining gun owners concerns?
    • Legal action?

Peter, I know you been around the block a few times (and in most ways wiser than I), but just because you do not have a permit doesn’t mean this won’t or can’t affect you down the road.

I'm not suggesting we go grab pitch forks and tourches and scream for blood, but i think a knock on his front door and a kind word might put things in prospective.

Sinking to their level, well I guess that’s already been done with the addresses being published. What options do we have to really make our point though?

I agree that was a great move.

Peter, I know you been around the block a few times (and in most ways wiser than I), but just because you do not have a permit doesn’t mean this won’t or can’t affect you down the road.

That's a tough one. Years ago I was in every trench that had been dug. Now I only have so much time and energy to dedicate and I didn't draw the line in the sand.
    There is a whole world of behind closed doors whizzing going on and unless I get splattered, I don't have the time for it.

Now I completely agree that publishing the map was a cheap and disgusting stunt. BUT and this is a big BUT, Government in the sunshine laws aren't new and what they did was legal. I've warned about that and other problems associated with permits in the past, so it's not news. You knew it was a danger when you got your CHP's. The more you use that CHP to push for special perks, the more the anti's are going to abuse the existing laws to further their agenda. That's gonna get the flies buzzing again, but facts is facts.

What you should do is change the law and do it right. Instead of getting half of the law changed (Which was done) and then bragging on what a GREAT victory it was, then letting the other half go. Put it on next years agenda, then the next, so on, until you get it completed.

Last edited by peter nap; 12-31-2012 at 02:45 PM.

It is an opportunity to educate a person who can stop this madness. It’s easy to read a letter from a few ticked off gun owners, but it’s another to ignore someone knocking on the front door because of the presses carelessness.

• Protest at locations?
    • Write letters to work and personal addresses?
    • Ignore the issue?
    • Visit them in person explaining gun owners concerns?
    • Legal action?

I'm not suggesting we go grab pitch forks and tourches and scream for blood, but i think a knock on his front door and a kind word might put things in prospective.
    Just a little more on this. If you knock on their doors and say hello, they will call the cops and you will be described as terrorists in the next publication.

If you had a hundred people to stand on the sidewalk in front, it would be effective.

I'm not even saying don't do it, just saying ...think about it first.

Now I completely agree that publishing the map was a cheap and disgusting stunt. BUT and this is a big BUT, Government in the sunshine laws aren't new and what they did was legal. I've warned about that and other problems associated with permits in the past, so it's not news. You knew it was a danger when you got your CHP's. The more you use that CHP to push for special perks, the more the anti's are going to abuse the existing laws to further their agenda. That's gonna get the flies buzzing again, but facts is facts.
    Hold on here big fella, this list the paper is publishing is for permints not the conceal carry kind. Its my understanding you have to have a "pistol permit" to own a handgun and that may or may not entitle you to carry said pistol around with you (depends on the stamps or markings on it). From what I can tell these paper is basicly doing the oppisite of this sign

http://r-u-nobama.blogspot.com/2012/...-all-guns.html

This isnt just about permits this is about some personal mission to get people to knock on the doors of gun owners or rob them. This isnt just a P4P or a CHP issue.

Some critics retaliated by posting reporters' and editors' addresses and other personal information online.
    Howard Good, a journalism professor ... called the critics' response childish and petulant.
    Not to sound like a 5yo, but they started it.
    Sauce for the goose, turnabout is fair play, let's see how they like it, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by NoVaJohn
    Did they post the names of Domestic Violence victims?
    ...they must have KNOWN that they would be putting these peoples' lives in danger like they had done in VA.
    Yes, they did post names & addresses of DV victims who had been hiding from their abusers.
    One pro-gun reporter said he'd gotten calls & emails from several such women, worried that now they were targets again.
    And yes, they knew exactly what would happen when they published that information, 'cause they'd done it before, with exactly the same result they got this time, only not as fast 'cause social media is in place this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner
    The "whole concept" is implied in the conversation! I dont think it is that unclear what I meant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen
    Your a$$ still didn't answer the question. Are you opposed to the publishing of gun owner names and locations, dissemination of the publishers' personal info, or both?
    I have the same question, because Tanner's statement can be taken both ways. No, it's not clear what you meant. Your statement was ambiguous, which is why we're asking for clarification. Getting pi$$y about it won't make your position any clearer. You could have clarified instead of being a smart-alec.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap
    If you had a hundred people to stand on the sidewalk in front, it would be effective.
    I like that idea. The sidewalk is public property. Walking a picket line with signs explaining exactly why you're there, what wrong was committed that you are protesting, I think would be very effective. Have a few people around the clock for a couple weeks at the home of the reporter, the editors, the CEO...
    Last edited by MKEgal; 12-31-2012 at 03:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast