• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CEO of Publishers of NY gun owners names lives in NoVa

NoVaJohn

I read that the CEO of the parent company that published the names and address of NY gun owners lives in NoVa.

Gannett CEO
Gracia C Martore
728 Springvale Rd
Great Falls, VA 22066
(703) 759 5954

1. Did they post the names of Domestic Violence victims, Parole Officers, Crime Witnesses, ect., like they did in VA years ago, putting these peoples' lives in danger?

2. Is there some way we can organize a legal protest?

This is especially bad because the CEO is from Virginia. If they did, they must have KNOWN that they would be putting these peoples' lives in danger like they had done in VA.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Oh, I don't know that we need a protest. Maybe all we need is:

1. Verify the home address.

2. Send tons of letters of protest.

Tanner

I know this may be obvious so correct me if im wrong but this seems like a major invasion of privacy. These people are not sex offenders they are gun owners, wich is perfectly legal. Why are we being treated like sex offenders. I lived in upstate NY for 3 years, i would not be surprised to find my name on this list

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I know this may be obvious so correct me if im wrong but this seems like a major invasion of privacy. These people are not sex offenders they are gun owners, wich is perfectly legal. Why are we being treated like sex offenders. I lived in upstate NY for 3 years, i would not be surprised to find my name on this list

It is, but a legal one.
I like publishing the private information of the Publisher and other people involved.
The Va Watchdog published the ssn's of members of the General Assembly several years ago because they wouldn't change the law regarding online Clerks Office information.

After a fight that got to the Supreme Court, they blinked.

If you want to completely seal the information in Va. get the files of Police Officers wives that have CHP's and publish them. There is no whining in the world like a Cop on a mission.

Last edited:

Motofixxer

I dont understand how anyone thinks that this is ok. The whole concept pisses me off

What, you mean like what's good for the goose is good for the gander? Or everybody playing by the same rules and plays?

What "whole concept" are you referring too? Remember we are not in your head and only know what you type, not what you mean.

Last edited:

Tanner

The "whole concept" is implied in the conversation! I dont think it is that unclear what I meant. Clearly I was talking about solar flares, and the polar ice caps.
Yes my brain is dumb but my a$$ is smart.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
the "whole concept" is implied in the conversation! I dont think it is that unclear what i meant. Clearly i was talking about solar flares, and the polar ice caps.

lol

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
The "whole concept" is implied in the conversation! I dont think it is that unclear what I meant. Clearly I was talking about solar flares, and the polar ice caps.

Your a$$ still didn't answer the question. Are you opposed to the publishing of gun owner names and locations, dissemination of the publishers' personal info, or both?

Repeater

But Wait -- there's more!

I dont understand how anyone thinks that this is ok. The whole concept pisses me off

More names are coming:

Journal News To List More Gun Permit Holders After Uproar
A suburban New York newspaper that sparked an uproar among gun enthusiasts by publishing names and addresses of residents holding pistol permits is now planning to publish even more identities of permit-toting locals.

Further names and addresses will be added as they become available to a map originally published on Dec. 24 in the White Plains, New York-based Journal News, the newspaper said.

The newspaper's editor and vice president of news, CynDee Royle, earlier in the week defended the decision to list the permit holders.

"We knew publication of the database would be controversial, but we felt sharing as much information as we could about gun ownership in our area was important in the aftermath of the Newtown shootings," she said.

Some critics retaliated by posting reporters' and editors' addresses and other personal information online.

Howard Good, a journalism professor at the State University of New York at New Paltz, called the critics' response childish and petulant.

"It doesn't move the issue of gun control to the level of intelligent public discussion," he said. "Instead, it transforms what should be a rational public debate on a contentious issue into ugly gutter fighting."

So, fighting back is "ugly" -- gun owners defending themselves against all evil is perfectly beautiful.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Howard Good, a journalism professor at the State University of New York at New Paltz, called the critics' response childish and petulant.

"It doesn't move the issue of gun control to the level of intelligent public discussion," he said. "Instead, it transforms what should be a rational public debate on a contentious issue into ugly gutter fighting."

I wonder why whenever one of those pencilnecks gets his/her toes stepped on, they fall back on this?
Come to think of it...they do it on both sides of the fence!:lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I wonder why whenever one of those pencilnecks gets his/her toes stepped on, they fall back on this?
Come to think of it...they do it on both sides of the fence!:lol:

Tell 'em to come on in, the water is fine.

3680.jpg

For each name and address they publish, we'll raise 'em one. We'll see who holds 'em and who folds 'em.

NoVaJohn

They are doubling down, publishing an additional entire county of gun owners names.

This is so wrong.

t3a1s5

Does Gracia Martore have a Virginia CHP?:D
That would be public information, would it not?

crazydude6030

Does Gracia Martore have a Virginia CHP?:D
That would be public information, would it not?

why not just go ask him? Honestly I have been wanting to take a sunday drive out to say hello myself. The way i see it they wont see the danger until random people start showing up and random times.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
why not just go ask him? Honestly I have been wanting to take a sunday drive out to say hello myself. The way i see it they wont see the danger until random people start showing up and random times.

Guys, I'm a great believer in 2 wrongs making me feel great....BUT do you really want to sink below their level.
Just a thought since I don't have a dog in this fight either.

Last edited: