• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fred Patch LTE needs response

TFred

Oh boy, does this letter writer need some educating...

http://fredericksburg.patch.com/articles/letter-to-the-editor-gun-legislation

TFred

Snips:

LETHALITY (not appearance) is the real gun issue. Semi-automatic and automatic weapons are military and police tools. They were designed to kill the enemy as quickly and efficiently as possible. Any distinction is academic between Semi- and Automatic weaponry. "Conversion kits," readily available on the grey-market, easily can reconfigure a semi- into an automatic weapon.

Definitions: A SEMI-automatic weapon automatically ejects the spent cartridge and automatically rechambers the next bullet. But you must pull the trigger for each shot. A fully AUTOMATIC weapon (ex: AK-47, Browning M2E2, UZI, HK-417) does all of the above, plus it will keep firing as long as you pull and hold the trigger, until the magazine is exhausted. (By the way, only Automatics are true "assault weapons." I wish our legislators would get their terminology straight. They leave a loophole large enough for the NRA's Wayne LaPierre to slither through!)

Neither style weapon — nor its accoutrements (30 > 50-round magazines, 100-round drums, unjacketed or hollow-point bullets, stockpiled ammunition -- have any business in the hands of civilians. (If one wants to outfit themselves with such an arsenal, I suggest they join a WELL-REGULATED Militia — as detailed in the 2nd Amendment of our Constitution)...the Marine Corps, the Army infantry, the Seals, Delta Force, the Virginia National Guard, or any big-city police SWAT team.)​

2a4all

Clearly, this letter needs a rebuttal.

But before you succumb to the urge to give the author "what for", please take the time to draft your response off line so that you may review it for proper grammar, spelling, punctuation, sentence structure, etc. Then ask someone else to read it and ask them if they understand your message.

One question that the author doesn't discuss is why he thinks that the police need such powerful weapons. Is it perhaps because the criminals they face are that well armed? Are these criminals different than the ones we might encounter? Are we just supposed to hope that our personal defense handguns will hold these attackers at bay while we wait for the police to arrive with their superior fire power?

It is imperative that responses reflect positively on the gun owning community. Many already see us as semi-literate escapees from "Deliverance".

half_life1052

I am not sure we want to give him a clue . . .

Just my two cents but cluing this guy in to facts such as a shotgun being the most devastating at social distances. Or that said weapon in the hands of a trained person can keep up a fairly fast firing rate (until the barrel melts or the ammo is gone) etc etc. The numbnuts is dancing out that militia hogwash in spite of Heller. Can such a person even be taught? I mean really when IQ divided by shoe size approaches 1 what can you do with them? And what does that say for those who would listen to him?

Getting back to that "well regulated militia" equals military thing. This person who probably at best has a 4 year degree in business (doubtful really) thinks that they have more knowledge on the subject than 9 VERRRY bright lawyers (SCOTUS). This Einstein thinks that his/her research was more exhaustive and truth seeking than the entire staff of SCOTUS? It is settled law that the second speaks to individual rights.

/RANT

sorry ... had to get that off of my chest

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Everybody can relax and breathe easy. TFred forgot to share the most important piece of information:

I'd like to submit this piece in hopes of throwing a bit of light onto the hot controversy surrounding prospective gun control legislation. It would seem that the terminology itself is confusing...both by intention and through ignorance. Since I am professionally engaged in the firing range industry, I'd hope that my advocacy might have some purchase...at least with those honestly confused and not ideologically rigid.

I think that means he works at a gun range, which makes him a "Gun Counter Expert". - you know, the source of misinformation and misunderstanding second only to a LEO.

stay safe.

Last edited:

TFred

Everybody can relax and breathe easy. TFred forgot to share the most important piece of information:

I think that means he works at a gun range, which makes him a "Gun Counter Expert". - you know, the source of misinformation and misunderstanding second only to a LEO.

stay safe.
Yes, yes, but unfortunately, to the gullible masses, that gives him every bit as much credibility as a Wayne LaPierre... or anyone who actually DOES know what they are talking about.

TFred

Superlite27

He's professionally engaged in the firing range industry.

The only thing I've ever engaged at a firing range is a target.

He states he is "professionally engaged".

..........so............

......cops shoot at him.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Actually, it's worse that I thought:

I'm in the business of supplying ballistic rubber media to firing ranges. This material safely encapsulates the fired projectile and its byproducts; lead dust, ricochet shrapnel, back-splatter.

Ballistic Rubber Media, for those that are not aware, is shredded tire rubber that is spread in front of the backstop. How it "encapsulates" the bullet and its byproducts is beyond my knowledge of organic chemistry and/or mechanical engineering.

Is there a meaningful difference between "ricochet shrapnel" and "back-splatter"?

And what about the mercury vapors - does "Ballistic Rubber Media" have no effect?

Anjd I'll bet he even makes the landfill pay him to take away the tires he uses to create his product.

Do check out his video at the bottom of his web site. Apparently the "Bullet Bunker" with about 12 inches of Ballistic Rubber Media in front of a sheet of Ballistic Rubber is enough to stop .338 Lapua and .50BMG rounds - while engine blocks have been known to be less than sucessful cover against those rounds.

stay safe.