• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry age conflict

ncwabbit

NC-heel i provided the NC Attorney General's cite earlier from http://www.ncsheriffs.org/documents/2007-NC-Firearms-gun-Laws-rev2011.pdf as explained in post 13.

i'm sorry you have trouble understanding the concept the PPP is retained by the FFL and the FFL can copy the CHP and attach it to or write the info on the 4473 and as outlined in referenced CFR retain the form for 'at least 20 years' which is forever IMHO.

wabbit

Last edited:

Wulf.45

Hello, Im new to the site, but I have been reading alot on here before I registered. I am 23 years old and I open carry quite a bit and all the pistols I carry are registered to my fathers name not mine. I have yet too buy one. However, I have a brother who is 20 and would like too open carry as well, but I dont want him getting into some serious trouble over it because of his age. I know the state laws says that you must be 18 or older to oppen carry a pistol, but how can that be since the federal law say you must be 21 or older to purchase a handgun or ammo? I know there are several other threads on here discussing the legal carrying age in NC, but no one ever cleared this up or explained how this legal. state vs. federal law?

Just for some helpful advice on this question of age; I am 20 years old, and have no problem OC"ing my RIA 1911. Federal Law only necessitates age 21 to purchase from a FFL DEALER.
If you still have questions on the age, since your brother is 20, I actually did go down to the Guilford County Sheriffs office and get a PPP when i was 19. Granted, I had to argue with a Sheriffs deputy who swore that I could not be issued a permit because of my age, polite persistance and not backing down finally led to them making a call to another office, and being told that they in fact DID have to process my application, despite me being 19. A week later I happily received my PPP. Now, keep in mind that the PPP has absolutely NOTHING to do with purchasing a handgun at this point in time, I merely carry a copy with me in the even that I should be stopped and questioned by a LEO. It does state that the Sheriff has "Received no information to indicate that it would be a violation of State or Federal law for the applicant to purchase, transfer, receive, or possess a handgun.". At the bottom, an addendum has been added that is not on most PPPs. It states, highlighted, "Applicant is under 21. This permit is valid for private transfer only. NOT VALID FOR USE WITH FEDERALLY LICENSED FIREARMS DEALERS (18 USC 922)." This can be useful if stopped, but in no capacity is it your golden ticket out.
Also, NC is not a register state, so regardless of who purchased the handgun initially, if it is gifted, there is no registration required. (Unless you live in a city that requires it, Durham I think).