• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 1012 An order to retreat

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I, and all of you, have been slapped in the face by bezon and her boss. I will compose a piece of eloquence to go with the evidence above. The dates do not match and she will be held accountable. When the letters go out, I will need all of you to do followups to ensure they are both held accountable.

Last edited:

skeith5

Maybe this is a project for Skeith.

I'm on it. I have time this afternoon to start the process. Sometimes you have to cast a pretty wide net when you request the records to get what you want. I'll specifically request the email reply that she sent to msg since we know that exists. We definitely NEED to expose them.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Trigger Dr

Here in Port Orchard, I am composing a letter to the editor asking a few pointed questions. This may or may not be printed in our local papers, and may not even be read by the paper staff.
I will post my thoughts hen I submit the letter to the paper.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I have kept all my correspondence with the Representative office. I can provide copies in electrons or hard copy if needed.
I was at the every sunday meeting of the Whatcom County OCDO this morn. SVG and I were discussing this very topic. We came to the conclusion that if she has committed the alleged impropriety, and she is publicly "outed", anything she says after that could be held in distrust by her Constituents. We have coined a new term for a governmental official of this nature. We will refer to her as a "Brady representative". Similar to some misguided LEOs being designated 'brady cops'.

Sometimes I think a bit. I think, no matter the AO, be it seattle, anacourtes, oak harbour or bellingham, the government is surprised so many of us are standing up for what has been taken for granted in the past. We are reminding them who they work for and what their job description is. Bravo mates.

skeith5

I'll collect some information. Why don't we sit down and talk about it after the buy back next Saturday. We should come up with a game plan outside of a public forum.

sudden valley gunner

I'm on it. I have time this afternoon to start the process. Sometimes you have to cast a pretty wide net when you request the records to get what you want. I'll specifically request the email reply that she sent to msg since we know that exists. We definitely NEED to expose them.

Thank you.

I'll collect some information. Why don't we sit down and talk about it after the buy back next Saturday. We should come up with a game plan outside of a public forum.

Sounds good to me.

No worries. Then again, unlike a goodly portion of my government, I am transparent.

I had a hard time looking at the people behind you through you today....:p,

No you are not a "Brady Legislator".......

adam3176

I sent another email to rep appleton with the "gun myth"list. At the same time I invited her to Custer Sportsmans club to shoot with my Sweet Baboo. This was the reply. I underlined the parts I thought were in conflict and highlighted the part I thought was comical. Her "order to retreat" law will cause death one way or another.

From: "Bezon, Donna" <Donna.Bezon@leg.wa.gov>Add sender to Contacts
To: "'msglaigaie
John,
Thank you for the invitation for Rep. Appleton. Starting this week things began rolling at full speed for her with the Legislature starting on Jan 14th., not ending until April. Her schedule is non stop for months. Saying that I have worked for her for almost a decade and know that as much as she appreciates the invitation to the gun range it is not something she would do. I did double check with her.

I know you are opposed to HB1012 and we hope you understand you can come to Olympia and testify against it. As a side note to Gun Ranges Rep. Appleton has been a big supporter of the rights of Gun Ranges in our area. She is also appointed to the Sentencing Guideline Comm., Judicial Conduct Commission, Civil Rights Commission (by two President’s). She is all about Civil Rights if you look at her record. If this bill saves one individual from being shot or killed then HB1012 will serve it

Donna J. Bezon
Senior Legislative Assistant to
Rep. Sherry Appleton
23rd. Legislative District
Washington State Legislature
132F, Legislative Building
PO Box 40600
Olympia, WA 98504
360-786-7934
s purpose.

Feel free to contact me to check on the status or for information regarding IF we get a public hearing you could attend.

I hate to say it. But with all the research i have done. I think the state capital is really just a building where the puppets pretend to be in charge. Infact they are more like PR agents for the media. So the people never see past the Circus show. I really dont think they care about you. and i dont care what they say. They always do the same thing. The goal has always been the same. One think i hardly hear people talking about is the UN. and what strings they are pulling. The un pulls the strings and the People behind them. They are safe if you cant see them

Last edited:

amlevin

Just a side note, don't you love how you can't talk to the person you elected to represent your interests in the Legislature. You have to talk to an "assistant" that you didn't elect.

Same issue in WA, D.C. No matter who we send back as Senators or Representatives, there's a group of "professional staffers" that never seem to change. Most are permanent residents of the DC area, not from the State represented.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Same issue in WA, D.C. No matter who we send back as Senators or Representatives, there's a group of "professional staffers" that never seem to change. Most are permanent residents of the DC area, not from the State represented.

Some, like inslee, live in DC and then move here after they get elected.

Matter at hand........Who is making the FOI request to draw the "threats" out? We need to move on this quickly and get the LIE to the media. If enough people know that she has been caught in a lie and can no longer be trusted as a "brady legislator".

skeith5

Some, like inslee, live in DC and then move here after they get elected.

Matter at hand........Who is making the FOI request to draw the "threats" out? We need to move on this quickly and get the LIE to the media. If enough people know that she has been caught in a lie and can no longer be trusted as a "brady legislator".

I'm working on the open records act request. I am leaving work today around noon and will start making some calls. I'm asking for every e-mail from/to her from 11/1/2012-1/20/2013. Her assistant Donna as well. Hopefully they won't try to charge me, it is in the public's best interest!

Scott

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
You can ask when making the request as to how many pages come free. They only charge when the numbers get big. PM your email and I will forward all messages I have. Get the mail from EMN too, I think they may be relevant also. Take particular notice of the dates on each email. It will show a trail that will expose her untruths.
If anyone made a phone call and actually talked to a human a transcript of that may help also. We must gather as much evidence as possible on this one. She is the tip of the 'iceburg' and all Brady Legislators must be outed. What we do here in Washington State is being watched Nationwide. We are The People referred to in the Document. When we stand together, others, in other States, will hear our Words and follow us.

EMNofSeattle

Skeith, I'll send you a PM with the dates of my email comms with Appleton. Anyone thought about contacting sympathetic media. Like the David Boze show or something like that if we find something?

The other thing is that should someone start contacting the media NOW or wait until we can get those emails in hand?

@ SKEITH

if you would like a copy of my email corrospondence, I can actually forward it to your email if you would pm me the address, that way no format or other info is lost from a copy and paste message

Last edited:

Stretch

Anyone thought about contacting sympathetic media. Like the David Boze show or something like that if we find something?

The other thing is that should someone start contacting the media NOW or wait until we can get those emails in hand?

Wait for the facts to be assembled in whole prior to running to the media. One thing I hate is the rush to notify, especially when all the information hasn't been processed.

Sent by Droid

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
especially when all the information hasn't been processed. Sent by Droid

This is Truth. We must look clean when we do this. Don't want to have appleton or bezon say, "see they do not know what they are talking about." As you see in the Oak Harbour debacle, they will go to any length to make us irrelevant. For anyone with a little free time, we need to collect the newspaper articles that accuse us of "death threats" to go with the package when we go forward.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Then ask for a formal request for an open records request.

Dear Mr. Starks:

Your request (below) was forwarded to this office for reply. You have requested records that Representative Appleton’s office might have received in the nature of threats regarding HB 1012. The House cannot provide any records meeting your request for a couple of reasons.

First, your request encompasses information that does not fall within the definition of public records as applied to the House and Senate. RCW 42.56.010(2) states in relevant part:

"Public record" includes any writing containing information relating to the conduct of government or the performance of any governmental or proprietary function prepared, owned, used, or retained by any state or local agency regardless of physical form or characteristics. For the office of the secretary of the senate and the office of the chief clerk of the house of representatives, public records means legislative records as defined in RCW 40.14.100 and also means the following: All budget and financial records; personnel leave, travel, and payroll records; records of legislative sessions; reports submitted to the legislature; and any other record designated a public record by any official action of the senate or the house of representatives.

RCW 40.14.100 provides that:

"legislative records" shall be defined as correspondence, amendments, reports, and minutes of meetings made by or submitted to legislative committees or subcommittees and transcripts or other records of hearings or supplementary written testimony or data thereof filed with committees or subcommittees in connection with the exercise of legislative or investigatory functions but does not include the records of an official act of the legislature kept by the secretary of state, bills and their copies, published materials, digests, or multi-copied matter which are routinely retained and otherwise available at the state library or in a public repository, or reports or correspondence made or received by or in any way under the personal control of the individual members of the legislature.

Consequently, to the degree that Representative Appleton received any personal correspondence on this bill, that information would not fall within the scope of the Public Records Act.

Furthermore, the House permits members who are sole sponsors of a bill to withdraw pre-filed bill(s) from further consideration prior to introduction without needing to provide a reason. This happens very rarely, but does occur occasionally. So, to the degree that the Representative felt threatened or intimidated by any form of communication, those materials would not have to be provided to the House.

Thank you for your patience while we sorted this out. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Timothy Sekerak
House Counsel
Washington State House of Representatives
360-786-7767

EMNofSeattle

This is Truth. We must look clean when we do this. Don't want to have appleton or bezon say, "see they do not know what they are talking about." As you see in the Oak Harbour debacle, they will go to any length to make us irrelevant. For anyone with a little free time, we need to collect the newspaper articles that accuse us of "death threats" to go with the package when we go forward.

On it. I already have the Sun, WA post, and some stories spread by the AP to Texas and Florida. I'll have a list of everything I can find by the end of today.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
reply from bezon

John,

You have been corresponding with both Rep. Appleton and myself, her legislative assistant.

You are correct with you quote. I did tell you we had stopped the bill from getting a hearing based on questions regarding language. That was the situation at that time. At that same time I was also very clear with you that the calls and e-mails where becoming nasty and my e-mail to you eluded to that “Thank you for discussing it without yelling or screaming at me”. Little did I know after talking with you the calls and e-mails would escalate to such an aggressive level. At that point we pulled the language of the bill entirely with the sense it would temper the onslaught of negative contact. We do not make false statements about what we are dealing with or the level of treats made to Rep. Appleton or myself. We do not and did not take lightly the aggressive, foul, nasty, e-mails and phone calls…… ONLY when it reaches a threatening level does it move up to “not acceptable category”. I will not share the names or addresses of any of the information with anyone other than the process I/we are required to follow at the Legislature and I have included that information for you below.

"Public record" includes any writing containing information relating to the conduct of government or the performance of any governmental or proprietary function prepared, owned, used, or retained by any state or local agency regardless of physical form or characteristics. For the office of the secretary of the senate and the office of the chief clerk of the house of representatives, public records means legislative records as defined in RCW 40.14.100 and also means the following: All budget and financial records; personnel leave, travel, and payroll records; records of legislative sessions; reports submitted to the legislature; and any other record designated a public record by any official action of the senate or the house of representatives.
RCW 40.14.100 provides that:
"legislative records" shall be defined as correspondence, amendments, reports, and minutes of meetings made by or submitted to legislative committees or subcommittees and transcripts or other records of hearings or supplementary written testimony or data thereof filed with committees or subcommittees in connection with the exercise of legislative or investigatory functions but does not include the records of an official act of the legislature kept by the secretary of state, bills and their copies, published materials, digests, or multi-copied matter which are routinely retained and otherwise available at the state library or in a public repository, or reports or correspondence made or received by or in any way under the personal control of the individual members of the legislature.
Consequently, to the degree that Representative Appleton received any personal correspondence on this bill that information would not fall within the scope of the state Public Records Act.

Furthermore, the House permits members who are sole sponsors of a bill to withdraw pre-filed bill(s) from further consideration prior to introduction without needing to provide a reason. This happens very rarely, but does occur occasionally. So, to the degree that the Representative felt threatened or intimidated by any form of communication, those materials would not have to be provided to the House.
Thank you very much…..

Donna J. Bezon
Senior Legislative Assistant to
Rep. Sherry Appleton, 23LD
House of Representatives
Washington State Legislature
132F Legislative Building
Olympia, WA 98504
360-786-7934

Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 12:27 PM
To: Appleton, Rep. Sherry
Cc: Bezon, Donna
Subject: HB 1012

Dear Sherry, I thought we had addressed this situation untill I found an article in the Washington Post dated 19 Jan 13. When you contacted me last you said and I quote:
John,
Based on conversations with you and others one big issue was the language (i.e. should) in HB1012. We requested out lawyers and policy staff, review these suggestions and advise us. Rep. Appleton will, at this time, not request a committee hearing on HB 1012. It will not be a viable bill this legislative session. We much appreciate your input and suggestions. The other issues surrounding guns and gun rights we anticipate being discussed this session are varied. Please feel free to contact us in the future.
Thank you for discussing it without yelling or screaming at me

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...bada86-61d1-11e2-81ef-a2249c1e5b3d_story.html

In this article your "office" declared that this was dropped due to mysterious emails. An FOI request was made for these threatening documents. We Legally Armed Citizens do not wish to be disparaged Nationally. Due to the implication that Legally Armed Citizens of Washington State have been accused by you of this thing, will you, in the Light of Day come forward with these documents?
We, as Legally Armed Citizens, do not need people representing us badly. This is meant for those who you have implied wronged you, to you, yourself as a representative of the People.
If, by chance, this accusation was made falsely or inadvertently by some other person in your office, please come forward with that. If this was done by you, as my representative to the Legislature, I would be taken aback.
Please contact me regarding this matter as I am very disheartened by what is coming from your office. I remain a Patriot, Master Sergeant John Laigaie

MSG John Laigaie
Fort Zinderneuf