• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Los Angeles Police Buy Automatic Weapons from Civilians for $200 grocery gift cards

LkWd_Don

MainelyGlock

One of the points of gun buybacks that I've seen written in news articles is anonymity. They seem to be more concerned with getting them off the streets then prosecuting those who illegally own them. As far as L.A. goes, I can't say I disagree with that.

davidmcbeth

Banned
At last count, the Los Angeles gun buyback had collected 1,366 firearms, including 477 handguns and 49 assault weapons, said Vicki Curry, a spokeswoman for the mayor.

I doubt they collected even 1 true assault weapon ...

MKEgal

Yeah, it's supposed to be an amnesty.
I'd guess there might even be some guns which were used to commit real crimes (beyond simply unregistered possession).

When I saw this on the news, I thought about making a sign & standing at the major instersection near my house, offering $50 for anything in .22 and $100 for anything higher caliber, in working order.
AFAIK there's no law against it. :rolleyes:
Need to research the city's ordinances... I'm sure there are rules about peddling, but is there anything against offering to buy lawful products?

skeith5

Police Buy Automatic Weapons from Civilians for $200 grocery gift cards

Yeah, it's supposed to be an amnesty.
I'd guess there might even be some guns which were used to commit real crimes (beyond simply unregistered possession).

When I saw this on the news, I thought about making a sign & standing at the major instersection near my house, offering $50 for anything in .22 and $100 for anything higher caliber, in working order.
AFAIK there's no law against it. :rolleyes:
Need to research the city's ordinances... I'm sure there are rules about peddling, but is there anything against offering to buy lawful products?

I've seen it done in other states. If it happened in Washington I would be there with a sign to buy back guns. I saw some of what they got, there were ar's, ak's, and I believe I saw an Uzi in the mix.poor sheep selling off their only means of real protection for a grocery gift card.

Scott

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2