Thread: Shotgun or Rifle

Shotgun or Rifle

So I have about $500 to spend this weekend and there's this purty little shotgun at Walmart I'd like to buy. But I also want to buy an AR-15.

Not sure whether to wait a couple weeks for the rifle or just go ahead and get the shotgun.

So what would you guys do? Mind you I only have a handgun and buying the shotgun would simply put me back three weeks from getting the rifle instead of two.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Re: Shotgun or Rifle

I said I could buy a shotgun for $500, I'd have to wait two weeks to buy the AR-15.

I would buy the shotgun call your dealer put your order in for an AR. It most likely take at least 3 weeks for them to get one in stock.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

The stores around Dallas that still have ARs are charging between double and triple price for them. Get the shotgun and wait for the Sandy Hook emotional furor to blow over.

Quote Originally Posted by ()pen(arry View Post
    The stores around Dallas that still have ARs are charging between double and triple price for them. Get the shotgun and wait for the Sandy Hook emotional furor to blow over.
    +1

Now is not the time to buy an "assault rifle"... unless Feinstein's bill passes the House.

I thought price gouging was illegal. Maybe the distributors would be interested to know which dealers are doing this.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Quote Originally Posted by decklin View Post
    I thought price gouging was illegal. Maybe the distributors would be interested to know which dealers are doing this.
    Says who, is it gouging if the marget will bear it.

Guns are No differant then gold, silver is it gouging to pay low and sell high for those products.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by decklin View Post
    Price gouging is a term that can only apply to necessary items in an emergency, like plywood when a hurricane is coming.

The affected guns and ammo are luxury items, and like precious metals, will fluctuate with the market conditions, as they should.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

...Get the shotgun and wait for the Sandy Hook emotional furor to blow over.
    This.

You should have a shotgun anyway, and either ARs will come back down in price before next summer, or you can live with a more affordable rifle (which will probably work better anyway).
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

I have heard no talk about mini 14, if I got another rifle that would probably be my choice. Not sure about price I have not priced them lately.

J&G has them ranging from 700 to 900 dollars.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 12-28-2012 at 02:29 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

What shotgun? Go for that! Build an AR or buy one when the prices aren't crazy. On UncleHenry's I see things like a $650 DPMS Oracle selling for $2000. Ridiculous!
    Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.

"I knew one thing: as soon as anyone said you didn't need a gun, you'd better take one along that worked."
    Raymond Chandler

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I have heard no talk about mini 14, if I got another rifle that would probably be my choice...
    I almost mentioned it specifically, but the AR guys are so quick to trash you for even mentioning it sometimes. My ARs stay available for competitions and training. My Mini-14s stay on-duty in the truck.

I just sold an AR in this short-lived hysteria.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Price gouging is a term that can only apply to necessary items in an emergency, like plywood when a hurricane is coming.

The affected guns and ammo are luxury items, and like precious metals, will fluctuate with the market conditions, as they should.
    Anti price gouging laws only lead to shortage of essential materials in a disaster. Gouging occurs in disaster times becuase more people are buying stuff.

If I were living in a disaster area, I'd rather be able to buy gas for 9 dollars a gallon and conserve it then have none at all to buy. Then again I buy gas and keep reserves all the time, if people properly prepared gouging wouldn't be an issue.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Anti price gouging laws only lead to shortage of essential materials in a disaster. Gouging occurs in disaster times becuase more people are buying stuff.

If I were living in a disaster area, I'd rather be able to buy gas for 9 dollars a gallon and conserve it then have none at all to buy. Then again I buy gas and keep reserves all the time, if people properly prepared gouging wouldn't be an issue.
    Good point. I won't argue against that, just differentiating between what the government considers gouging on "needed" supplies and supply/demand of non necessary items.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    I almost mentioned it specifically, but the AR guys are so quick to trash you for even mentioning it sometimes. My ARs stay available for competitions and training. My Mini-14s stay on-duty in the truck.

I just sold an AR in this short-lived hysteria.
    I won't trash anyone for suggesting any gun, except maybe a Glock.

I might buy one later on down the road. But right now I have a list of other weapons. Shotgun, AR-15, ACR,G36, P22, Desert Eagle, HK USP, 1911, P226, P90 and an FN FiveseveN. I'm sure the list is actually longer than that. That's just all I can remember off the top of my head.

I will also be buying cans and accessories. Lots and lots if stuff to buy before I can start thinking about adding random guns to my collection.

Last edited by Jack House; 12-28-2012 at 04:12 PM.

Banned

Shotgun or Rifle

Get both! A circuit judge is a shotgun and a rifle. Oh, it is also a revolver.

Seriously, now is NOT the time to buy an AR unless you can find one at MSRP. If you are an Exchange authorized customer, when we get them, they are regular priced. Prices on ARs are peaking right now (unless a bill actually looks like it will make it through both houses that will restrict them but not confiscate them), so the will probably come down in price in the near future. The emotion, and the chance of an AWB, is waning, although still alarmingly high.

On gouging: Anti-gouging laws are stupid and anti-LIberty. So-called "price gouging" is far preferable to either government rationing or the shortages that will happen when items are priced significantly below their reasonable market value.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

It is too late to buy an AR15. That ship sailed a week-two weeks ago. Get a nice shotgun you'll love and care for forever.

Last edited by Schlitz; 12-28-2012 at 05:09 PM.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    It is too late to buy an AR15. That ship sailed a week-two weeks ago. Get a nice shotgun you'll love and care for forever.

For a defensive shotgun I perfer one with sights for the more accurate placement of slugs.

If anyone thinks they're going to confiscate any of my weapons, they're dead wrong.

As for AR-15s, they're still at retail at my Walmart and in stock. They sold one but had three for the last few weeks.

If I had the money to buy an overpriced AR-15, I'd just as soon buy one of the more expensive weapons on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    If anyone thinks they're going to confiscate any of my weapons, they're dead wrong.

As for AR-15s, they're still at retail at my Walmart and in stock. They sold one but had three for the last few weeks.

If I had the money to buy an overpriced AR-15, I'd just as soon buy one of the more expensive weapons on my list.

I wonder if the Branch Davidians said a simiiar thing? Guess we won't ever know because our government killed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post

I saw the ACR on your list, have you ever used one? They're pretty sweet, but something about a polymer rifle felt weird to me when I was shooting it. I'm sure people said the same thing about Glocks when they were first introduced though.
    Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.

"I knew one thing: as soon as anyone said you didn't need a gun, you'd better take one along that worked."
    Raymond Chandler

Like what was said, if you could find a quality AR for regular price (under or around MSRP) then get that.

I would suggest a S&W M&P15. Walmart does not carry these though (I don't think). The Smith is a "budget" rifle with many of the features of more expensive rifles. It is only lacking a chrome lined barrel and a M-16 bolt carrier.

Do your research on ARs before you purchase one, I did not but I lucked out (mostly). They are not all the same. DPMS, in my opinion is not a good rifle. Also, there is articles out about how Walmart products are subgrade to fit their lowered prices. I do not know if this carries over to the firearms, but it might.

Another option would be to buy a lower. This is the "firearm" so other parts should be easily purchased later on.

Since Walmart wouldn't stand behind firearms if they thought they couldn't make (enough) money off of it, I would also suggest you doing business with a LGS. I know this is not always possible, Walmarts are in almost every town and usually better priced.

If you are going for a shotgun I would suggest a Rem 870 (my preference) or a Moss 500 or 590. These have proven to be tough shotguns. There is also many aftermarket parts to customize the shotgun to your desired setup. If I am not mistaken, some 500s come with two different barrels, a "home defense" short barrel and a longer "hunting" barrel.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.