• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shotgun or Rifle

Jack House

So I have about $500 to spend this weekend and there's this purty little shotgun at Walmart I'd like to buy. But I also want to buy an AR-15.

Not sure whether to wait a couple weeks for the rifle or just go ahead and get the shotgun.

So what would you guys do? Mind you I only have a handgun and buying the shotgun would simply put me back three weeks from getting the rifle instead of two.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Jack House

I said I could buy a shotgun for $500, I'd have to wait two weeks to buy the AR-15.

decklin

The stores around Dallas that still have ARs are charging between double and triple price for them. Get the shotgun and wait for the Sandy Hook emotional furor to blow over.

I thought price gouging was illegal. Maybe the distributors would be interested to know which dealers are doing this.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I thought price gouging was illegal. Maybe the distributors would be interested to know which dealers are doing this.

Price gouging is a term that can only apply to necessary items in an emergency, like plywood when a hurricane is coming.

The affected guns and ammo are luxury items, and like precious metals, will fluctuate with the market conditions, as they should.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Get the shotgun and wait for the Sandy Hook emotional furor to blow over.

This.

You should have a shotgun anyway, and either ARs will come back down in price before next summer, or you can live with a more affordable rifle (which will probably work better anyway).

WalkingWolf

I have heard no talk about mini 14, if I got another rifle that would probably be my choice. Not sure about price I have not priced them lately.

J&G has them ranging from 700 to 900 dollars.

Last edited:

MainelyGlock

What shotgun? Go for that! Build an AR or buy one when the prices aren't crazy. On UncleHenry's I see things like a $650 DPMS Oracle selling for $2000. Ridiculous! :eek:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I have heard no talk about mini 14, if I got another rifle that would probably be my choice...

I almost mentioned it specifically, but the AR guys are so quick to trash you for even mentioning it sometimes. My ARs stay available for competitions and training. My Mini-14s stay on-duty in the truck.

I just sold an AR in this short-lived hysteria.

EMNofSeattle

Price gouging is a term that can only apply to necessary items in an emergency, like plywood when a hurricane is coming.

The affected guns and ammo are luxury items, and like precious metals, will fluctuate with the market conditions, as they should.

Anti price gouging laws only lead to shortage of essential materials in a disaster. Gouging occurs in disaster times becuase more people are buying stuff.

If I were living in a disaster area, I'd rather be able to buy gas for 9 dollars a gallon and conserve it then have none at all to buy. Then again I buy gas and keep reserves all the time, if people properly prepared gouging wouldn't be an issue.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Anti price gouging laws only lead to shortage of essential materials in a disaster. Gouging occurs in disaster times becuase more people are buying stuff.

If I were living in a disaster area, I'd rather be able to buy gas for 9 dollars a gallon and conserve it then have none at all to buy. Then again I buy gas and keep reserves all the time, if people properly prepared gouging wouldn't be an issue.

Good point. I won't argue against that, just differentiating between what the government considers gouging on "needed" supplies and supply/demand of non necessary items.

Jack House

I almost mentioned it specifically, but the AR guys are so quick to trash you for even mentioning it sometimes. My ARs stay available for competitions and training. My Mini-14s stay on-duty in the truck.

I just sold an AR in this short-lived hysteria.
I won't trash anyone for suggesting any gun, except maybe a Glock. :p

I might buy one later on down the road. But right now I have a list of other weapons. Shotgun, AR-15, ACR,G36, P22, Desert Eagle, HK USP, 1911, P226, P90 and an FN FiveseveN. I'm sure the list is actually longer than that. That's just all I can remember off the top of my head.

I will also be buying cans and accessories. Lots and lots if stuff to buy before I can start thinking about adding random guns to my collection.

Last edited:

eye95

Get both! A circuit judge is a shotgun and a rifle. Oh, it is also a revolver.

Seriously, now is NOT the time to buy an AR unless you can find one at MSRP. If you are an Exchange authorized customer, when we get them, they are regular priced. Prices on ARs are peaking right now (unless a bill actually looks like it will make it through both houses that will restrict them but not confiscate them), so the will probably come down in price in the near future. The emotion, and the chance of an AWB, is waning, although still alarmingly high.

On gouging: Anti-gouging laws are stupid and anti-LIberty. So-called "price gouging" is far preferable to either government rationing or the shortages that will happen when items are priced significantly below their reasonable market value.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
It is too late to buy an AR15. That ship sailed a week-two weeks ago. Get a nice shotgun you'll love and care for forever.

50665_1.jpg

Last edited:

Jack House

If anyone thinks they're going to confiscate any of my weapons, they're dead wrong.

As for AR-15s, they're still at retail at my Walmart and in stock. They sold one but had three for the last few weeks.

If I had the money to buy an overpriced AR-15, I'd just as soon buy one of the more expensive weapons on my list.

MrOverlay

If anyone thinks they're going to confiscate any of my weapons, they're dead wrong.

As for AR-15s, they're still at retail at my Walmart and in stock. They sold one but had three for the last few weeks.

If I had the money to buy an overpriced AR-15, I'd just as soon buy one of the more expensive weapons on my list.

I wonder if the Branch Davidians said a simiiar thing? Guess we won't ever know because our government killed them.