• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Petition to oppose upcoming gun laws

nicholasfortinberry

Hello, I am new to this forum and have joined to help spread the word. I have created a petition to oppose the upcoming proposed gun laws. Like many others I am a husband, a father of two, and a concerned citizen. I am a veteran. I served in Iraq and am currently working in Afghanistan as civilian contractor. To see the petition I created please see the link below.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...al-control-weapons-through-education/VSwqDhq7

The petition in summary is as such, less gun law restrictions, more education. In order to vote in favor of this petition or other open petitions sent to congress just go to the link above and sign up. It only asks for a name and email. You can then vote or create your own. If you are in favor of my petition please help by voting and sharing this petition. We need at least 150 votes in order for the petition to posted on the website and be viewed by the public. 25000 votes by Jan 27th to viewed by congress.

Thank you for your time
Nic

4angrybadgers

Several similar petitions have been created already, why another?

More importantly, why do you think that these petitions will be anything other than useless? If the government refuses to acknowledge its limits as defined by the highest law of the land (the Constitution), what makes you think a few thousand people clicking buttons on a website will sway the politicians?

rictshaw

More importantly, why do you think that these petitions will be anything other than useless? If the government refuses to acknowledge its limits as defined by the highest law of the land (the Constitution), what makes you think a few thousand people clicking buttons on a website will sway the politicians?

They may or may not sway the politicians directly, but I think it can't hurt to show the general public the number of people who think additional gun control laws are useless. All the "sitting on the fence" people...why do you think political campaigns target them specifically? Because they can be swayed with numbers; no one wants to think their "side" is going to lose.

And I don't think it does our cause any good to see the headlines like, "More than 65% of people polled want more gun control laws"...instead I'd rather see something like, "More than 75% of people polled do NOT see a need for more gun control".

Toad

Founder's Club Member
These petitions are a joke

These petitions are a joke and are simply an illusion of being engaged in the process. Misguidedly, the signers believe they are doing something good and quickly return to their more important self serving lives.
How many are truly engaged in the process? How many actually know what it means to do so? Does going about openly carrying in your daily life engage you? Perhaps, however it is probably more insignificant that one may think. Similarly, focusing on one item or subject has little effect of any desirable outcome of the whole as it only divides the citizenry more leaving gaps the Government exploits to achieve it's intended result.

A considerable amount of personal time, effort and in some instances money must be expended to just begin to scratch the surface of correcting the multitudes of injustices enforced by all levels of government. One must be willing to attack the injustices at all levels near equally. It always amazes me how little attention people allot to local government; arguably the most important level directly effecting your daily life. This is proven by a simple comparison of voting turnout and results between levels of government. How many know when and where the local BOS meets? What is discussed?

One person can make a difference with the help of others. This doesn't mean just becoming a member of a special interest group, no, it requires much more than that. Locally, the community has to come together to form a sound foundation respecting and defending Freedom and Liberty. Our form of government is a pyramid with the majority of strength being, the people, set as the foundation and the federal, the weakest, at the top. Over time we have allowed this to be turned upside down to resemble a spinning top with the crushing weight of government applied directly to the people. As with every spinning top it eventually stops and falls when that will happen is unknown. This can be reversed by becoming involved locally, not directly with the first level of government, but the community, our friends and neighbors...their friends and neighbors.

When was the last time you broke bread with your neighbors? With the massive proliferation of 'helpful' technologies we have have actually drawn further apart. People no longer truly know their neighbors. Sure you may know their names as well as other basics acquired through simple observation but for the most part most seem to look at their neighbors with suspicion or worse envy and jealously...divided at the most basic level. All of us are guilty of it at some point, thank you human nature, but getting past that is when thing can truly change. That is the point when people find out they actually see eye to eye on most things regardless of political affiliations. Most people wish to be left alone to their own devices and dislike the controlling hand of government and once that becomes the standard prerogative of the community, well , that is when the people come together and begin to re-assume their rightful authority. That is how one person can make a difference; stepping over the divide and reaching out will inspire others to do the same. It has taken a long time to divide us all and will take a long time to move past petty differences but it's the only way to regain our rightful freedoms and liberties. Was it intentional? Considering how things have gone I can only assume so.

There will always be members of the community that seek to limit or destroy liberty and have been doing a good job of it. They learned long ago the only way to success was to divide us with petty differences so they appear to be the majority. While we bickered over nothing they pushed forward the nanny state and came to control it. They are still the minority however the majority remains not silent but divided and disengaged.
Once unity and community are once again part of the daily lives of the majority the foundation will again be strong and the levels of Government can be reigned in, one by one, starting at the bottom.

I don't usually write much since it is defiantly one of my weaker skills and prefer face to face conversation to avoid the grammar police from rubbing it in. However every now and then it is the only way to take my turn on the soap box.

LkWd_Don

Especially when the petition site in question was created by BHO and has yet to show any actual results from any of the petitions that have gained the requisite number of signatures.

Just another method of enslaving the masses. Why do you think they require you to create an account with them to be able to author or sign a petition?

There is now a database of those that could be declared as subversives and potentially terrorists to be dealt with under the indefinite detention clause of the NDAA.

I don't trust it!

If you want to start a petition, circulate it around your hometown, city, county, and state, then force your Districts Congressperson and State Senators to present it, you could do far more toward getting something done that way.

I personally would remind them that they are already on unconstitutional ice.

Last edited: