Thread: Owning a handgun at 18 in Virginia

Owning a handgun at 18 in Virginia

Hey everyone, I know this is legal in Virginia provided it was a gift or a private sale. I also know they can possess it so long as it is unloaded and in a case. Here is where the problem lies. I buddy of mine recently got a handgun from his parents for christmas. He posted this to facebook and someone who is misinformed on the laws is attempting to get him to give it back to his parents as he is "not allowed to own it." I have attempted to correct his interpretation of the law but he seems to be stuck at the No one under 21 may purchase a handgun. I linked him 18.2-308.7 which states that no one under the age of 18 is allowed to possess a handgun unless accompanied by an adult. I believe this can be interpreted as if you are 18 or older you can possess one. He is still asking for a link to the law saying he CAN own it. Isn't a law saying what you CAN'T do? I would like to make sure people understand firearm laws.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    What law allows him to own/possess a computer? or a pair of shoes? Laws very seldom define what is legal. Laws define what is illegal. If there is not a law defining an action as illegal, than that action is legal by default. So, ask them to show you the law that makes the action illegal.

Here is the Federal law:

18 USC 922 (x):

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922

But, in the same post where our OPer cites this statute, he should first point out that the facebook asserter did not back up his claim by citing the statute. Maybe even say that its customary to cite the actual law when discussing a law.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.