• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Owning a handgun at 18 in Virginia

NikRyJ

Hey everyone, I know this is legal in Virginia provided it was a gift or a private sale. I also know they can possess it so long as it is unloaded and in a case. Here is where the problem lies. I buddy of mine recently got a handgun from his parents for christmas. He posted this to facebook and someone who is misinformed on the laws is attempting to get him to give it back to his parents as he is "not allowed to own it." I have attempted to correct his interpretation of the law but he seems to be stuck at the No one under 21 may purchase a handgun. I linked him 18.2-308.7 which states that no one under the age of 18 is allowed to possess a handgun unless accompanied by an adult. I believe this can be interpreted as if you are 18 or older you can possess one. He is still asking for a link to the law saying he CAN own it. Isn't a law saying what you CAN'T do? I would like to make sure people understand firearm laws.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
What law allows him to own/possess a computer? or a pair of shoes? Laws very seldom define what is legal. Laws define what is illegal. If there is not a law defining an action as illegal, than that action is legal by default. So, ask them to show you the law that makes the action illegal.

Here is the Federal law:

18 USC 922 (x):

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922

But, in the same post where our OPer cites this statute, he should first point out that the facebook asserter did not back up his claim by citing the statute. Maybe even say that its customary to cite the actual law when discussing a law.