• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC with your children.... the innocent pointing out the obvious to the oblivious?

Klemorali

While I'm certain the answer to my question is "Carry on, Worry Less..."

How does one handle Open Carry while dragging around children. I have a 10 year old (going on 16) who is almost completely incapable of thinking before opening his mouth. In fact I'm almost completely certain that a trip to the local Walmart will involve 2 or 3 overly loud comments of "you're carrying your gun in a walmart...". Remembering my own childhood, I do recall being knocked upside the head a few times for making poorly thought out comments, but that never really stopped me from saying it in the first place. I did eventually learn.

Any suggestions or advice that might keep the kiddies from pointing out the obvious to the oblivious? I'm also interested in people's stories. Please feel free to post your own experiences with your children or even friends/family who acted like children while OCing.

For my own stories..

I have only done OC with my children when visiting family so I could test the waters and get them comfortable with the idea of Daddy carrying. So far we've had one comment fly out that was corrected by my Mother-in-Law who explained to him that "she was old and not blind". A few times the 3 yr old in his endless pursuit of being carried everywhere by Daddy asked me if that was my gun while pointing to it, this generally is met with amusement by the family which sadly reinforces his desire to point it out. I'm still working on correcting that away from the grandparents :banghead:

Thanks in advance for any input, advice, or shared stories!!

MamaLiberty

Seems like the problem here has nothing much to do with OC. When I made inappropriate comments to strangers as a child, I got my butt smacked. My sons learned the same way. Allowing children to mouth off like this serves no good purpose. Millions of families dealt with this successfully in the past. I'm sure you can too if you want to do it.

I carry openly all the time, even with my grandchildren in tow. They don't say much beyond a polite request to get something at the grocery, or request to use the restroom. They KNOW better.

PistolPackingMomma

I would recommend OCing consistently around your house, while getting the mail, walking the dog, etc, until the novelty wears off. Talk to your kids about it until they are bored and move on to a more interesting topic.

Wear their enthusiasm out instead of letting it wear you down.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I would recommend OCing consistently...........
Wear their enthusiasm out instead of letting it wear you down.

This is truth. Listen to Momma, (see quote) Do it all the time. When they see you, they see the weapon. It will become a part of you like any other inanimate object. If the have questions, if the get embarrassed (I love that one) they will get answers and they will get over it. You are in charge, do it.

Klemorali

appreciated

I appreciate the responses.

I've been carrying full time since I obtained my pistol and holsters and I do believe that has helped wear down the novelty to some extent.

After reading the responses and reconsidering my original post I see that it is somewhat misleading. I was not asking how as a parent I can get my kids to behave as I want them to. I'm asking what other parents have done when introducing their family to world of OC.

WCEarp

What I did to get my family use to the idea of me OCing was simple. I started carrying anywhere I am allowed and that started at home. My wife gave me a little grief on day one, but agreed that the gun would not do us any good in a locked safe.

I have one friend that made couple of stupid jokes about not wanting to make me mad because I was "packing heat". It took a couple of times seeing her before she got comfortable with the idea.

As far as taking your children with you while carrying, treat it as you would if you were concealing it. You wouldn't worry about your kids saying anything in that situation. Your children have already seen you carry it and think it is normal. They think it is normal because their dad is doing it. They won't think that it is odd or wrong to carry in Walmart, if they even notice. My family just view it as part as my wardrobe now and forget that I am carrying sometimes.

I have only had one person announce to the world that I was carrying. It happened to be one of the Boy Scouts at my troop while he was bell ringing for the Salvation Army. He shouted out into the parking lot, as I was leaving the store, that he liked my gun. I told him thanks and was on my way home. My wife and I had a good laugh about it saying that his mom probably smacked him on the back of the head after I turned around.

carolina guy

We made sure that the kids understand that "Papa is carrying a pistol to protect them" and then we showed them the pistols, let them hold them while starting to teach them basic firearm safety. They don't even give it a second glance...they are all under 8 right now. ;-)

ViperGTS19801

My girlfriend's daughter is 6 years old. I've been dating my lady for about two years now, and ever since I started being around the little one on a regular basis, I made sure to explain to her what firearm are, what they do, how dangerous they can be if they are not treated with respect, and that she's welcome to handle it if she ever likes as long as she has me right there showing her how to do so safely. She understand all this, and the other day, we were sitting on the couch, and she was watching me play a video game where my playerguy had a pistol tucked into his waist at 6 o'clock.

"Is that gun like the one you have?" she asked me.
"Yes...it's exactly like one of mine, actually."
"But you don't carry it in your pants like that, do you?"
"No, I use a holster...but sometimes that's where I keep it."
"Do you put your shirt over it?"
"Yeah, that way, no one can tell I have it. Do you know why I carry a gun all the time?"
"So you can protect me and mommy."

This answer came as a statement of fact, not a tentative answer that she hoped was correct. That **** was for certain. I almost cried a little, because she gets it, and she knows how important they both are to me.

When we go out, I usually OC unless we're going somewhere special and I don't think it's worth her disappointment to be asked to leave, in which case I CC. When we first starting hanging out a lot, the little one would occasionally give my sidearm a wide-eyed look if she happened to be near it, or she would gasp and act like she was really sorry if she accidentally brushed against it or it's holster. Now, she doesn't even seem to notice it's there. She runs over and gives me big hugs on my strong side, sometimes wrapping her arm around the holster, but then she just moves her arm up or down to go around it. She takes my strong hand and holds herself close to me in parking lots, not seeming to be concerned in the least that her face is eye-level with and extremely close to the cocked hammer of a forty-five. It seems to have just become a part of the way things are, and although I remain vigilant in making sure that all safety precautions are always taken when she's around (keeping them either on my person or locked away/out of reach, making sure she's not in other rooms by herself, etc.), the curiosity of what guns can do just doesn't seem to be there anymore.

Now, to get her a little kid-sized rifle!

Aknazer

My mother-in-law once asked me "why do you need that thing at home?" to which I responded "because 100% of home invasions happen in the home." That shut her up for the rest of her stay. My kids are 21months (x2) and 9 months and when they were interested I let them touch it and not make a big deal of the thing (it's in a holster on my belt and there's no way it could fire short of the gun itself malfunctioning). After about 5-10 seconds of touching the grip they lost interest and went on to play with other things. They have touched it maybe 1-2 times since then. I've learned that when possible ignoring or at least allowing their actions can cause them to lose interest and move on to other things since they don't get any attention from their actions.

So it's just working to normalize the action and working with them to not have it be a "scary" thing, but rather that it is a tool and should be respected.

Paver1055

My youngest boy always wants to be on my holster side.my oldest still comments when I put it on just to go get water or somewhere quick, but I quickly remind him of why I carry. He still thinks bad things only happens in movies I quess.

Last edited:

MyWifeSaidYes

I didn't have a problem introducing my kids to OC'ing because I was OC'ing before they were born.

I have worked with my nephew (age 4?). When he got curious, I field stripped my M&P and let him hold the frame (with his mom's permission), then the other parts, including ammo. On a later visit, I did the same with a Ruger LCP.

I explained what each part was called and had him repeat it all back to me, even "cartridge", "bullet", "case" and "primer".

We went over what to do if he ever finds a gun (Stop! Don't touch! Leave the area! Tell an adult!).

I've even had his mom and her boyfriend out to the shooting range. This is a big deal because a year ago she didn't even want her kid to be near a gun.

Mattimusmaximus

Ever since I could remember growing up myself there was a loaded shotgun by the front door (we're hicks get over it) and it wasn't until I was ..5? I took interest my dad unloaded it gave it to me said and showed me what it did.. It's always been a norm to me since then. I am currently dating a women with two little girls 1 and 2yr. When I met her I was OC. I OC around the girls. The oldest knows what it does and doesn't care. As for momma bear she only notices when she hugs me (she be short) and I do get some weird comments.. A man with child carrying a handgun on belt.. I ignore most everyone who comments good or bad just cause I have been around it so long I forget its there and miss the chatter.. My advice make it normal to the family as much as you can teach them safety rules. I tell momma bear its a tool on my belt like my leather man or even a flash light they all have a functioning purpose (like a tool)

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

Mattimusmaximus

My mother-in-law once asked me "why do you need that thing at home?" to which I responded "because 100% of home invasions happen in the home." That shut her up for the rest of her stay. My kids are 21months (x2) and 9 months and when they were interested I let them touch it and not make a big deal of the thing (it's in a holster on my belt and there's no way it could fire short of the gun itself malfunctioning). After about 5-10 seconds of touching the grip they lost interest and went on to play with other things. They have touched it maybe 1-2 times since then. I've learned that when possible ignoring or at least allowing their actions can cause them to lose interest and move on to other things since they don't get any attention from their actions.

So it's just working to normalize the action and working with them to not have it be a "scary" thing, but rather that it is a tool and should be respected.

I like that about the mother inlaw. And 100% of crimes outside the home happen outside to lol

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

Vitaeus

Just carry and answer thier questions, if they are old enough in your opinion, take them to the range or the quarry and let them try it out. Make it part of their life, like it is part of yours, best thing you can do for a child is to remove the mystery from life and replace it with knowledge, whether it is firearms, where their food comes from, or how teh world works. Best to start before they go to public school, they need to learn early what is family business and what is okay to ramble about in front of other folks.

moonie

My children never questioned it that I recall, they all know why I carry. Before I started I discussed it with my wife, she said she wouldn't be comfortable with me open carrying but might be ok with me CC. Fast forward to today, I open carry everywhere I legally can and she is just fine with it, also my wife will be taking her concealed class soon. A couple of my adult children also open carry since I started.

Mattimusmaximus

I was talking with the gf about guns around her girls she hates to admit it (she doesn't like guns at all) but she feels safer when I OC around the girls..

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

BAMF

I OC in the house much of the time whichs helps, My oldest 7 couldnt careless but my 6 year old likes to help me clean my weapons after a good day at the range. So great bonding time aswell as gun safety. My wife looks at me like I am a dork but she understands

davidmcbeth

Banned
Remembering my own childhood, I do recall being knocked upside the head a few times for making poorly thought out comments,

For my own stories..

Children ? Children? :cuss: the children .... should be seen and not heard.

Lady complaining: Hey, I think what you are doing is endangering my children
Me: Then get the :cuss: away from me then

See, I am a friendly guy ...

Last edited:

MNMGoneShooting

I just have to say, my 6 year old daughter cracks me up.

@ Barnes and Noble, I'm carrying OWB with an unbuttoned flannel shirt concealment; my daughter comes up, says "are you carrying, Daddy?" She pulls my shirt open, sees the firearm there and says, "Good boy, Daddy!"

@ Bass Pro (open carry dinner in Richmond) she tells the cashier "My daddy has has lots of guns to shoot bad guys! But oh boy, were gonna need a lot of bullets!" The teen cashier gave a puzzled, yet friendly, smile.

Mattimusmaximus

I just have to say, my 6 year old daughter cracks me up.

@ Barnes and Noble, I'm carrying OWB with an unbuttoned flannel shirt concealment; my daughter comes up, says "are you carrying, Daddy?" She pulls my shirt open, sees the firearm there and says, "Good boy, Daddy!"

@ Bass Pro (open carry dinner in Richmond) she tells the cashier "My daddy has has lots of guns to shoot bad guys! But oh boy, were gonna need a lot of bullets!" The teen cashier gave a puzzled, yet friendly, smile.

Wow that is one of the funniest things I have heard on this site

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-