• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Assault Weapons Bill

Beretta92FSLady

You are projecting. The liberals in Congress, the WH, and SCOTUS all agree, even with those evil conservatives, that "guns" are exactly the tool that the 2A is alluding to in the "arms" term. One point subtracted for attempting to equivocate you position on the 2A.

Right to self-defense, and the Second Amendment are not necessarily related. The Second Amendment refers to firearms, generally.

unreconstructed1

I should add that although it appears to be established that we all have a Right to self-defense, that speaks nothing to the tools one uses for that defense. You can have the Right to defend yourself, but be imprisoned for using a handgun, if the handgun is banned. The Right, and the Tool do not go hand-in-hand, necessarily.

The same could be said for the entirety of the bill of rights. You can have a freedom of speech, but you may not do so on the internet, or in the press, or in writing.

You have the freedom of due process, but due process could be at Gitmo, with a bag over your head, as they waterboard that confession out of you.

Yes, liberty does exist in degrees. Liberty exists in two degrees: liberty protected, and liberty infringed upon.

Beretta92FSLady

U.S. Constitution: Article 6, clause 2:
"This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the constitution or laws of any state to the contrary notwithstanding."

notice the part where it says that the constitution is a guideline or a reference? The constitution is (was) The supreme law of the land. Every federal law is required to be made in accordance with the constitution. Not in accordance with what person X "interprets" the constitution to mean.

FYI: yes, the second amendment right to keep and bear arms is unfettered. there is only one interpretation for "shall not be infringed". That is a fact that stands regardless of what the district of criminals say on the matter

Unfortunately, you miss the point.

The Constitution is inherently interpretive. The Constitution is a general framework, that speaks nothing specifically to any definitive Thing. And don't go on some rant that it is Liberal dogma I'm spewing, most Liberals I know do not agree with my view regarding the Constitution.

OC for ME

Right to self-defense, and the Second Amendment are not necessarily related. The Second Amendment refers to firearms, generally.
I never stated that those two terms are related. Self defense, in my view, is achknowledged in the life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness part. If I am not able to defend myself I can't very well enjoy life, liberty, or be able to pursue anything let alone happiness. A gun sure makes staying alive a whole lot easier to pursue anything I choose.

Beretta92FSLady

The same could be said for the entirety of the bill of rights. You can have a freedom of speech, but you may not do so on the internet, or in the press, or in writing.

You have the freedom of due process, but due process could be at Gitmo, with a bag over your head, as they waterboard that confession out of you.

Yes, liberty does exist in degrees. Liberty exists in two degrees: liberty protected, and liberty infringed upon.

You're correct, Due Process could involve a bag over your head, and waterboarding--it's not torture, just ask W. Bush. Freedom of speech is not unfettered.

Thank you for acknowledging that Liberty is a matter of degrees, and is not absolute.--the latter portion of your response doesn't make-up for your conceding that Liberty is a matter of degrees.

unreconstructed1

. The Constitution is a general framework, that speaks nothing specifically to any definitive Thing.

Exactly what constitution are you reading? The one that I'm reading speaks of many specific things. Most relevant is this:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people

Tell me now, how exactly would you "interpret" that particular piece.

Beretta92FSLady

I never stated that those two terms are related. Self defense, in my view, is achknowledged in the life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness part. If I am not able to defend myself I can't very well enjoy life, liberty, or be able to pursue anything let alone happiness. A gun sure makes staying alive a whole lot easier to pursue anything I choose.

Nowhere does it state anything regarding Self-defense under "life, Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."--which is why it's likely stated to be your view.

A firearm may make it easier to survive in a hostile world, but it is hardly necessary. We can take that to it's logical end then, by arguing that since State A has a nuclear bomb, you ought to be able to have one as well so that you can sufficiently defend yourself in your pursuit of life, Liberty...and happiness.

BTW, no person here is arguing that you don't have a Right to self-defense.

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

Exactly what constitution are you reading? The one that I'm reading speaks of many specific things. Most relevant is this:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people

Tell me now, how exactly would you "interpret" that particular piece.

There is a lot to be reade in the quote you offered.

One could argue that all Power is delegated to the United States. The People have the Power to Authority, and the State has the Authority to Power.

Basically, the People have the Power to bestow the Authority to Power to whomever the majority chooses, but the People do not have the Authority to exercise that Power, that is left to the State.

Notice the hierarchy implied. Fist there is the Federal Government (United States), second, the States, third, the People. The writers stated a lot.

If the State decides to create a Law that is then signed by the President, and Found constitutional by SCOTUS, then it is Constitutional. Yes, the State could Constitutionally confiscate all of our firearms, line us up, and send us into the gas chamber for holding an OC gathering in Olympia.

We The People do not have the Power to exercise the Power. We only have the Power to delegate absolute Authority to Power. The State is the absolute Authority to that Power, only the State can exercise that absolute Power.

Last edited:

unreconstructed1

So basically, under your interpretation, The federal government has unilateral authority to do whatever it so chooses, and the constitution is nothing but a really old piece of paper that has no authority whatsoever...

Wow, I now fully understand why you voted for Obama....

eye95

If the Constitution is fuzzy, then there is no Constitution, only the rule of man and not the rule of law. My America is gone. What once was a Republic, a nation of laws, is now a nation of men. Sad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

PFC HALE

snipped...

A firearm may make it easier to survive in a hostile world, but it is hardly necessary.

if it is hardly necessary to need a firearm why do feel it necessary to carry one?

it is these contradictions that make your statements useless in your move for making a point...

Beretta92FSLady

So basically, under your interpretation, The federal government has unilateral authority to do whatever it so chooses, and the constitution is nothing but a really old piece of paper that has no authority whatsoever...

Wow, I now fully understand why you voted for Obama....

I am stating that Constitutional Authority is backed by the three branches. Yes, it can do whatever it chooses, collectively.

Yes, the Constitution is a really old piece of parchment.

No, you don't understand why I voted for Obama. It wasn't because of his views regarding the Constitution, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

snipped...

if it is hardly necessary to need a firearm why do feel it necessary to carry one?

it is these contradictions that make your statements useless in your move for making a point...

I'm stating that the two together are not necessarily equated to one another.

Contradictions are inherent in all things. All of these things, Liberty as an example, are inherently contradictory when applied to a social creature, such as a human.

You might think I come on here to troll around, and piss individuals off. I come on here because I like to chat with individuals, and because individuals ought to own whatever firearm(s) their little heart desires.

I don't make the rules in society, I am likely further detached from having any impact on the creation of Law than you are. The Federal Government is necessary, because the alternative would be worse. The Constitution is a wonderful general framework, but that's it. It's our job to either work together sorting out the details, or not.--it appears both sides of the equation have chosen not to work things out.

The System that keeps some degree of social order is being undermined, and de-legitimized and we will all pay the price. One of the worse political rhetoric nonsense uttered from a the mouth of a President was Reagan's, "[Government is the problem]." Whether you want to admit it or not, if there was no Government that's mere presence is coercive--that's not to say that all individuals will obey the Laws--we would be living in a volatile, dangerous, violent society.

Man's Nature of self-interest ought to be controlled...if not for the sake of other, but for the sake of himself. Why do you think we have so many coercive systems of control?--do you believe that it's some big coincidence, that there is some vast conspiracy over hundreds of generations of humans...I don't think so.

This sh*t ain't rocket science, but it is complex, and it can't be summed-up in, or reduced to some notion of Liberty as an Absolute, in any sense.

Last edited:

PFC HALE

I'm stating that the two together are not necessarily equated to one another.

Contradictions are inherent in all things. All of these things, Liberty as an example, are inherently contradictory when applied to a social creature, such as a human.

You might think I come on here to troll around, and piss individuals off. I come on here because I like to chat with individuals, and because individuals ought to own whatever firearm(s) their little heart desires.

I don't make the rules in society, I am likely further detached from having any impact on the creation of Law than you are. The Federal Government is necessary, because the alternative would be worse. The Constitution is a wonderful general framework, but that's it. It's our job to either work together sorting out the details, or not.--it appears both sides of the equation have chosen not to work things out.

The System that keeps some degree of social order is being undermined, and de-legitimized and we will all pay the price. One of the worse political rhetoric nonsense uttered from a the mouth of a President was Reagan's, "[Government is the problem]." Whether you want to admit it or not, if there was no Government that's mere presence is coercive--that's not to say that all individuals will obey the Laws--we would be living in a volatile, dangerous, violent society.

Man's Nature of self-interest ought to be controlled...if not for the sake of other, but for the sake of himself. Why do you think we have so many coercive systems of control?--do you believe that it's some big coincidence, that there is some vast conspiracy over hundreds of generations of humans...I don't think so.

This sh*t ain't rocket science, but it is complex, and it can't be summed-up in, or reduced to some notion of Liberty as an Absolute, in any sense.

you expect me to read all this stupidity? im still sticking with your contradiction lady...

you still managed to NOT answer my question, why do you carry a firearm when you think it isnt necessary???

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

you expect me to read all this stupidity? im still sticking with your contradiction lady...

you still managed to NOT answer my question, why do you carry a forearm when you think it isnt necessary???

Because it is available to me.

Let's play the imaginary game: There are no firearms...I will carry a knife, pepper-spray, baton...

BTW, I said they don't necessarily go hand-in-hand. One doesn't necessarily need a firearm to defend themselves. Believe it or not, we could use other items as well.

The thing is, President Obama has stated that he believes there is a constitutional right to own firearms; that's not what's at issue with him--it's the types of firearms...not the same two things.

A little bone for you:
We're a nation that believes in the Second Amendment, and I believe in the Second Amendment. We've got a long tradition of hunting and sportsmen and people who want to make sure they can protect themselves.

http://reason.com/blog/2012/10/17/obama-finally-acknowledges-a-constitutio

Same link:
Weapons that were designed for soldiers in war theaters don’t belong on our streets….Part of [my strategy to reduce gun violence] is seeing if we can get an assault weapons ban reintroduced….seeing if we can get automatic weapons that kill folks in amazing numbers out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill.

I see, Mr. President, so, you think that criminals, and the mentally ill ought not be able to get hold of automatic firearms?--I agree.

I'll tell you what, I think individuals ought to continue, if they like, running from the NRA, who is going to have talks with Biden. Right-wing firearms owners will continue to isolate themselves from the middle-ground firearm owner. I don't agree with a number of NRA policies, but am not quick to cast them aside because they are for some reasonable restrictions, or whatever.

When someone comes out, and asks me to leave because I don't support the Second Amendment "enough," all it does is undermines firearm ownership. I guarantee you, if you kick all Democrat, and Liberal firearm owners then you are going to be a damn small group of individuals.--there are a lot of Democrats, and Liberals who own firearms.

Pro-gun lawmakers on Capitol Hill have said any comprehensive effort to respond to the Newtown shooting must include more than just tighter gun control.

Yes, most Americans support firearm ownership, but that doesn't mean all those Americans support high capacity magazines, or AR style rifles.

Last edited:

cb5300

There have already been a couple more shootings since the elementary school shooting, and not much of a peep from anti gunners. There is something coming down the pipe, not an AWB though. We will likely see more money requested formental health services, but thats it.

You are kidding right???? If you think for one minute that your "buddy" Obama won't make a grab for you guns (if given the chance) then I've got a bridge that's for sale...

Beretta92FSLady

You are kidding right???? If you think for one minute that your "buddy" Obama won't make a grab for you guns (if given the chance) then I've got a bridge that's for sale...

*edit*

I didn't state he wouldn't make a grab for my guns. I'm stating he can't. *edit*

I'm sure the restrictions he prefers go pretty far, but it ain't happening. There is not enough political capital for him to take on a fight like that, that he will lose in the end, anyhow.

Sorry about that...you are new, we are supposed to be nice to new folks.

Plus, you need to keep in mind, Laws are made by Congress, and signed by the President. Obama may make a grab, but only Congress can facilitate that grab, and they won't facilitate it.--They may make a grab for our 15 round, and 30 round magazines, though.

Last edited:

PFC HALE

*edit*

I didn't state he wouldn't make a grab for my guns. I'm stating he can't. *edit*

cant and wont are two different thing young lady, and nothing is stopping him from pencil whipping an executive order circumventing the constitution and you losing your pistol that isnt necessary...

Beretta92FSLady

cant and wont are two different thing young lady, and nothing is stopping him from pencil whipping an executive order circumventing the constitution and you losing your pistol that isnt necessary...

Good grief. Then I suppose there is nothing stopping him from signing an EO, and becoming a Dictator. Take a few deep breaths, settle down.

EO's have their own long-term political ramifications...there will be no EO banning firearms, nor certain types of firearms.

I don't only own a Beretta 92FS. I own other firearms as well.

I will tell you though, he will do some sort of EO, not with firearms, but the debt ceiling, he won't allow us to hit the wall, he will EO it...guaranteed. Watch.

Last edited: