Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Man shoots self in leg at Gibraltar Trade Center

Man shoots self in leg at Gibraltar Trade Center

http://www.macombdaily.com/article/2...r-trade-center

“They have a policy that no loaded weapons are allowed in the facility. They have a clearing area where they ask those entering to clear their weapon,” Macomb County Sheriff Anthony Wickersham said. “He was clearing his weapon. It discharged and (he) shot himself in the leg.”

This is sad and a fail on so many levels if the details are accurate.

1. Know your weapon.
    2. Always point your gun in a safe direction.
    3. Don't carry a .22 for protection (Opinion)
    4. The gun and knife show at Gibraltar isn't worth visiting (Opinion)
    5. More cannon fodder for the Anti's

Continue if you want.

I know somewhat offtopic just making people aware of what happened.
    "God created man, Sam Colt made them equal."

Quote Originally Posted by Hevymetal View Post
    http://www.macombdaily.com/article/2...r-trade-center

“They have a policy that no loaded weapons are allowed in the facility. They have a clearing area where they ask those entering to clear their weapon,” Macomb County Sheriff Anthony Wickersham said. “He was clearing his weapon. It discharged and (he) shot himself in the leg.”

This is sad and a fail on so many levels if the details are accurate.

1. Know your weapon.
    2. Always point your gun in a safe direction.
    3. Don't carry a .22 for protection (Opinion)
    4. The gun and knife show at Gibraltar isn't worth visiting (Opinion)
    5. More cannon fodder for the Anti's

Continue if you want.

I know somewhat offtopic just making people aware of what happened.
    6. Carry your weapon anyway, don't clear it. More handling means more opportunity for an accident.
    Same reason OC should be legal in vehicles.

Don't go to gun shows that make you unload. seems pretty clear to me.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Quote Originally Posted by BoiledFrogs View Post
    +1.

Constitutional carry would have prevented it entirely.
    This has nothing to do with Constitutional carry, it has to do with the idiotic rule against carry a loaded fire arm at a gun show. Open carry at Gibralter, as of last time I was there, was allowed. Just not in the gun show.
    Want to keep informed of Open Carry events in your area? Go to www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

For Drama free gun rights discussion, see http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/

Murphys law in full effect.
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

+1.

You can't be serious....or are you that seriously misinformed?
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    Don't go to gun shows that make you unload. seems pretty clear to me.
    Another Fuddapalooza makes the news. Why do people go to gun shows that don't allow lawful carry? No wonder the antis are eating our lunch....
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    You can't be serious....or are you that seriously misinformed?
    Yeah! but at least he isn't Pat, that would be terrible!
    My reasons to OC
    7. Self defense

Im not misinformed. Laws (and in this case, ) policies that require or force law abiding citizens to handle their weapons which would otherwise be holstered, will inevitably lead to such happenings.
    Well personally I think anyone that can't safely unload a fire arm, no matter where or for what reason, shouldn't be carrying one to begin with as they become a danger to themselves or others.

This has nothing to do with the way it was carried, it has to do with negligence while handling it. The fact this happened at a gun show because policy is it had to be unloaded makes no difference. It could just as easily happened at home or at the range. It was irresponsible handling of the fire arm that caused this, not the policy (which I agree is stupid).
    Want to keep informed of Open Carry events in your area? Go to www.miopencarry.org/update

Yeah! but at least he isn't Pat, that would be terrible!
    I think Pat would be an improvement over poorly cooked amphibians.

+1.

finger off the trigger more like it... he certainly cleared his weapon into his leg!
    HOPE FOR THE BEST, EXPECT THE WORST, PREPARE FOR WAR

Actually, it's a matter of time before it happens to you too. It's an odds thing, handle a gun long enough, often enough, and sooner or later, you will have an accident with one. You won't agree, prolly come back with a canned response of some sort, but thats ok. Fact is, people are imperfect, we make mistakes, and given enough time, it has to happen.
    30 years of handling various firearms and nary a single "accident" or unwanted discharge...
    HOPE FOR THE BEST, EXPECT THE WORST, PREPARE FOR WAR

Actually, it's a matter of time before it happens to you too. It's an odds thing, handle a gun long enough, often enough, and sooner or later, you will have an accident with one. You won't agree, prolly come back with a canned response of some sort, but thats ok. Fact is, people are imperfect, we make mistakes, and given enough time, it has to happen.
    Lets see, I started shooting at 14, and I am 46 now, that's um, 32 years. I have shot from .22 to .50, semi auto, full auto, 3 round burst, handled more guns than I can count. Not ONCE did I ever have a AD or ND. Now maybe in your case, you have, but to be fair I have never shot in a trailer before either.

Quote Originally Posted by PFC HALE View Post
    finger off the trigger more like it... he certainly cleared his weapon into his leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by PFC HALE View Post
    30 years of handling various firearms and nary a single "accident" or unwanted discharge...
    +1 to both!

Im not misinformed. Laws (and in this case, ) policies that require or force law abiding citizens to handle their weapons which would otherwise be holstered, will inevitably lead to such happenings.
    Ummm isn't the trade center private property?

Quote Originally Posted by wizzi01 View Post
    Ummm isn't the trade center private property?
    Yes it is, in which case, carry laws wouldn't make any difference as private property rights would still trump them.

So now we need to bash Boiled Frogs anytime he posts? If he is stainless1911 and it is a sure thing then ban him, otherwise give him the benefit of the doubt, someone could check his IP. I know, I know, I am wasting my time.
    My reasons to OC
    7. Self defense

So now we need to bash Boiled Frogs anytime he posts? If he is stainless1911 and it is a sure thing then ban him, otherwise give him the benefit of the doubt, someone could check his IP. I know, I know, I am wasting my time.
    Well posting some nonsense that this would have been prevented by Constitutional carry really set the stage. And it does sound very familiar. Even if he is not the other person, and even if he were given the benefit of the doubt, it doesn't change the fact that he is posting nonsense.

NOT an accidental discharge. It is always a Negligent Discharge because someone got stupid. At least this time someone did not get dead.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Just read the article. It was a revolver. How in the world do you have an ND unloading a revolver?
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

Another thread derailment by stainless...err, boiled frogs. I'm starting to think someone's ignore suggestion would be a good one.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Just read the article. It was a revolver. How in the world do you have an ND unloading a revolver?
    Stupidity and negligence come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin
    How in the world do you have an ND unloading a revolver?
    Mmmm... finger on the trigger when it shouldn't be, finger on the trigger before swinging the cylinder out?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Creamsicle
    More handling means more opportunity for an accident.
    +1 !!!! I wish legislators would understand this.
    Our old transport law in WI required unloading & encasing.
    This was inherently more dangerous than keeping it in the holster or even simply putting it into a case loaded.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I'm guessing it could happen with a single-action if the person doing it isn't paying attention. But, that doesn't make sense here because you would elevate the muzzle for the cartridges to drop out of the loading gate.

Maybe the article is just plain wrong about reporting a revolver.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

I won't visit any place that hates my right to self defense, and it would be pure folly on anyone's part to support those who hate your rights, especially a gun venue, it is contradictory.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    Another Fuddapalooza makes the news. Why do people go to gun shows that don't allow lawful carry? No wonder the antis are eating our lunch....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast