• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dick's Sporting Goods....WHAT?!?!?!

MKEgal

Basically, Dick's is living up to its name.
After the Newtown tragedy, Dick’s Sporting Goods pulled “modern sporting rifles” from its shelves. Gun rights advocates were outraged at the move, but now, it appears that Dick’s has another gun-grabbing trick up its sleeve. Customers who placed orders for rifles from Dick’s before the Newtown shooting will have to look elsewhere; Dick’s is refusing to fulfill their orders.

Jack House

Well, I had thought they royally screwed up when they initially pulled their rifles. But this just takes the cake.

papa bear

no problem the only thing i went to DICK's for was their firearms. no we have no reason to go there so if they close down no loss

eye95

He may have based this thread on a blog, but Dick's reaction to the Newtown violent crime has been reported in the more traditional media too. There is no question but that Dick's initial reaction was to stop selling certain firearms. Whether that has now changed, I don't know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

WalkingWolf

He may have based this thread on a blog, but Dick's reaction to the Newtown violent crime has been reported in the more traditional media too. There is no question but that Dick's initial reaction was to stop selling certain firearms. Whether that has now changed, I don't know.

<o>

Dick's only stopped selling certain firearms in the Newton, CT area. I have not been in there recently, but last I checked they were still selling "certain firearms". Right now they are probably out of stock like many dealers. I don't care what has been reported in traditional media, unless it is relevant, and it is not relevant to this claim. Making such a claim from what is written in a blog is irresponsible.

WalkingWolf

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarne...oods-faces-customer-outrage-over-gun-ban.html

Maybe that will be "better" for you. Since apparently if it isn't in the traditional news then it must be fake.

"Blackall and his wife paid for two Troy Carbines – but they only got one. Instead, he said the company sent him a refund and a gift card."

This is from that very article. Can you explain why if they were just cancelling the orders only one was cancelled, and they still delivered ONE? The article also mentions the doubling of prices. Unless there was a signed contract, I certainly would not as a dealer take 50% loss on property. I don't shop Dick's, though I have been in there just looking. They do not restrict my carry, I don't care if they stop selling firearms completely, it is after all their business. They respect my right to carry, and I respect their right to sell what they choose, for whatever reason they choose. My local food store also does not sell firearms, should I boycott them?

Some people are just as bad as the media and progressives with knee jerk reactions...

Aknazer

"Blackall and his wife paid for two Troy Carbines – but they only got one. Instead, he said the company sent him a refund and a gift card."

This is from that very article. Can you explain why if they were just cancelling the orders only one was cancelled, and they still delivered ONE? The article also mentions the doubling of prices. Unless there was a signed contract, I certainly would not as a dealer take 50% loss on property. I don't shop Dick's, though I have been in there just looking. They do not restrict my carry, I don't care if they stop selling firearms completely, it is after all their business. They respect my right to carry, and I respect their right to sell what they choose, for whatever reason they choose. My local food store also does not sell firearms, should I boycott them?

Some people are just as bad as the media and progressives with knee jerk reactions...

They PAID for it at a specific price. What you're saying would be the same as if when I bought silver they were to tell me that only part of my purchase were to be valid on the ship date and if I wanted the rest I would have to pay the NEW market price for it, or when I preordered a new car if they were to tell me that I couldn't have it unless I paid a new price instead of the agreed to price. The article also mentions the doubling of prices for CONSUMERS, it says NOTHING about a doubling of prices for dealers and you simply ASSUMED it was applied to dealers as well. Though my guess would be that it operates more closely to how when I bought my car/silver in that you place the order at one price regardless of what the going market rates are when the order actually ships.

Somple people are just as bad as politicians with keeping their word for what they have already agreed to do...

WalkingWolf

They PAID for it at a specific price. What you're saying would be the same as if when I bought silver they were to tell me that only part of my purchase were to be valid on the ship date and if I wanted the rest I would have to pay the NEW market price for it, or when I preordered a new car if they were to tell me that I couldn't have it unless I paid a new price instead of the agreed to price. The article also mentions the doubling of prices for CONSUMERS, it says NOTHING about a doubling of prices for dealers and you simply ASSUMED it was applied to dealers as well. Though my guess would be that it operates more closely to how when I bought my car/silver in that you place the order at one price regardless of what the going market rates are when the order actually ships.

Somple people are just as bad as politicians with keeping their word for what they have already agreed to do...

They cannot sell what they do not have~and putting money down is not the same as buying. The sale is completed when the rifle is in stock and turned over. There is no damages in this case other than hurt feelings, I can't see a law suit going anywhere. The statement in the news report clearly points that one gun was delivered, so it is very clear that when guns are available that they will be sold. They did not double the price, they cancelled the sale, which they have a right to do by law.

You or others can stomp your feet, a business has a right to refuse sale for any reason. They are only obligated to return those funds held, that is it. Dick's has not changed their policy on open carry, and that is important to me. Get back to me if they do, then I might be concerned.

eye95

Dick's only stopped selling certain firearms in the Newton, CT area. I have not been in there recently, but last I checked they were still selling "certain firearms". Right now they are probably out of stock like many dealers. I don't care what has been reported in traditional media, unless it is relevant, and it is not relevant to this claim. Making such a claim from what is written in a blog is irresponsible.

Let's see. This one mentions stores in 44 States and has a quote from Dick's. http://money.cnn.com/2012/12/18/news/wal-mart-dicks-guns-connecticut/index.html

This one mentions Dick's pulling assault rifles "nationwide." http://abcnews.go.com/Business/t/vi...l-assault-rifle-connecticut-shooting-18006749

This one mentions all 511 stores. http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/dick-sporting-goods-suspends-sales-rifles-article-1.1222738

So, unless you can demonstrate where these stories are specifically wrong, my point remains uncontested that this thread may cite a blog, but the fact that Dick's pulled "assault rifles" is well-documented in the media.

<o>

WalkingWolf

Let's see. This one mentions stores in 44 States and has a quote from Dick's. http://money.cnn.com/2012/12/18/news/wal-mart-dicks-guns-connecticut/index.html

This one mentions Dick's pulling assault rifles "nationwide." http://abcnews.go.com/Business/t/vi...l-assault-rifle-connecticut-shooting-18006749

This one mentions all 511 stores. http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/dick-sporting-goods-suspends-sales-rifles-article-1.1222738

So, unless you can demonstrate where these stories are specifically wrong, my point remains uncontested that this thread may cite a blog, but the fact that Dick's pulled "assault rifles" is well-documented in the media.

<o>

So you have three different media reports each claiming a contradictory claim. Yea maybe you would call that well documented...

Besides as I stated before, I don't care if they stopped selling all firearms, it is their liberty to do so. They still allow open carry and concealed carry. My pharmacy does not sell any firearms, should I boycott them. How in the name of Hades can anyone claim to support liberty and then turn around and moan of another's liberty? If you don't want to give them your business that is fine, but as far as I am concerned if you think I should follow forget it. They clearly honored sales where they could that was proven in the media report. If you really are that upset write them a letter, but I am darn tired of anybody, government, or others throwing BS and trying to tell others what to do. That is the behavior of antis and progressives.

Last edited:

eye95

Are you deliberately being contentious?

This is a waste of my time. If you really believe that Dick's did not pull "assault rifles," have at it. At this point, I don't care anymore what you think on the subject. Rational outside viewers see that your claim is hollow, and I guess that was my goal, not changing your made-up mind.

Moving on in total bewilderment.

<o>

WalkingWolf

Are you deliberately being contentious?

This is a waste of my time. If you really believe that Dick's did not pull "assault rifles," have at it. At this point, I don't care anymore what you think on the subject. Rational outside viewers see that your claim is hollow, and I guess that was my goal, not changing your made-up mind.

Moving on in total bewilderment.

<o>

This thread, the OP was not about them pulling assault rifles, it was about them refunding money from pre sales. Apparently they do not have the guns for whatever reason, but they did deliver on at least one gun. I really don't give a fecal dump whether they pull assault rifles, which they never sold to begin with. I don't care if they stop selling all rifles, it is their procreation business, they can do with it as they please. What part of that don't you get. They cater to a yuppie market, and their decision was most likely based on that, get over it. Don't do business with them, I don't care. They are not my cup of tea, and never have been, they will not affect the 2A in any way shape or form. The 2A says nothing that people HAVE to sell firearms, or specific weapons. You have a choice, they have a choice, I have a choice. We lose our choices because of stupidity, not because a business stops selling firearms, there will always be firearm dealers as long as it is still legal to sell them, why don't you concentrate on that for a change.

I make my decision on my terms, and my agenda, everybody else can bugger off. My agenda is liberty, even for Dick's sporting goods.

Aknazer

...I make my decision on my terms, and my agenda, everybody else can bugger off...

Then why come into the thread with your negative attitude and try telling other people basically how to act and that they shouldn't be bothered by this. Instead you should have just taken your ball and gone home rather than trying to tell other people how they should have responded to this.

Jack House

WalkingWolf is old, possibly senile. Please forgive his eccentric mannerisms.

J/K, WW :p

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Then why come into the thread with your negative attitude and try telling other people basically how to act and that they shouldn't be bothered by this. Instead you should have just taken your ball and gone home rather than trying to tell other people how they should have responded to this.

I didn't tell anybody how to act, I disputed a claim made towards Dick's. I have yet once to tell anybody how to act in this thread, and any claims that I did is a outright LIE.

BTW I will come into any thread I chose as long as I follow the rules. Get over it.

Last edited: