• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

nevada resident seeking WA concealed carry permit

Las Vegan

On the WA state Attorney General's website, it looks like non-residents must apply for a concealed carry permit in person. I live in Nevada and usually visit Washington once or twice each year. Does anyone know if I can apply any other way other than in person so that by the next time I visit your state I can already have my permit? I only stay for a week or less so applying and receiving the permit in the same visit seems unlikely.

I am aware that Washington is an open carry state, but I would like to have both options if possible, and unfortunately Washington does not honor the use of a Nevada concealed carry permit.

Jeff Hayes

There is a county that sometimes issues in one day but for the life of me I can not remember which one it was someone will chime in here shortly and give you better info. If you are coming the the east side of the state Spokane, Stevens, Grant, Lincoln, Asotin, Pend Oreille counties you will wait about 30 days for them to process your application.

Las Vegan

I only stay in the Seatle area, and the state website says that non-residents may take 60 days to process. Even if there were a place that issued "same day" I would imagine that my non-resident status would slow things up a bit.

hermannr

On the WA state Attorney General's website, it looks like non-residents must apply for a concealed carry permit in person. I live in Nevada and usually visit Washington once or twice each year. Does anyone know if I can apply any other way other than in person so that by the next time I visit your state I can already have my permit? I only stay for a week or less so applying and receiving the permit in the same visit seems unlikely.

I am aware that Washington is an open carry state, but I would like to have both options if possible, and unfortunately Washington does not honor the use of a Nevada concealed carry permit.

Hej...You may apply in person at any Sheriff's office. Some Sheriff's are more responsive than others so depending on where you will be, you might want to shop around. Some Counties issue very quickly (a day or two, same day is not unknown) some will take every day the legislature gives them (60 days for a non-resident0

I live in Okanogan County (one of the quicker issuers), and asked for a friend in WI. They say you can do everything online except the fingerprints and signing the app. Those have to be done at the sheriff's office.

I would suggest you email the sheriff in the county you will be visiting, and see if there is anything you can do to speed up the process (maybe even get same day service) I know my county is good, and have heard that Kitsap county is also good for issuing quickly.

One thing you might keep in mind. If you are going to be camping, or hiking or any other outdoor recreational activity, you may carry, openly or concealed, going to, coming from, and participating in...no license necessary. RCW 9.41.060.

The RCW's that may interest especially you (all start RCW 9.41) would be .050 (restrictions) .060 (execptions), .270, .290 and .300 (what a local government may restrict)

While on foot, unlicensed OC is completely legal and well accepted...local government cannot restrict except what is in RCW 9.41.300. In a vehicle the pistol may be carried under an exception in .060 (especially (8)) or it may be carried unloaded. Long guns can never be loaded in a vehicle unless you have a disabled hunters license.

hermannr

I only stay in the Seatle area, and the state website says that non-residents may take 60 days to process. Even if there were a place that issued "same day" I would imagine that my non-resident status would slow things up a bit.

Kitsap Co. is close to Seattle, you might want to check with them...King co (seattle) is not as responsive.

hermannr

One other thing my Sheriff says,,,bring exact change ($52.25) cash,,,speeds things up.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
You can get your UT permit through the mail, and there are plenty of UT instructors in Las Vegas.

WA recognizes the UT permit.

Last edited:

Las Vegan

That process is much more expensive and time consuming though.

Still, it's an option that I hadn't considered. I appreciate the input, my friend. I'm pretty sure I know how to get a UT CCW locally in Las Vegas if I decide to go that route.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
And also would not exempt the OP from the Federal 1000' school zone prohibition while carrying in Washington.

Is this enforced in WA?

I'm not asking if it is technically in force. I'm asking if it is enforced against anyone who isn't a gang-banger or drug-dealer.

Many of us don't give this law a second thought in NV, AZ, or UT, beyond knowing its existence.

sudden valley gunner

Is this enforced in WA?

I'm not asking if it is technically in force. I'm asking if it is enforced against anyone who isn't a gang-banger or drug-dealer.

Many of us don't give this law a second thought in NV, AZ, or UT, beyond knowing its existence.

It doesn't seem to be. I can't think of any case it has been.

EMNofSeattle

It doesn't seem to be. I can't think of any case it has been.

I've actively searched for one.

Once I find a job I'll offer a bounty on finding such a case...

While it doesn't directly say it, the case of Tait v. United States did say some interesting things, basically some guy in Alabama threatened to kill a student with a gun on campus. so he gets arrested and convicted on the assault and under a state law banning possession of a gun on school grounds, but the feds charged the upstanding Mr. Tait with a GFSZA violation, Tait had an Alabama permit and the government tried to argue that because Alabama law doesn't require a sheriff to conduct a background check to insure the licensee is compliant with the GCA, that Tait's Alabama permit was not valid.

On Appeal the 11th circuit dismissed the charge because the court determined that GFSZA only requires that someone be qualified under STATE law and not federal law to recieve a CPL, thus they said that only Alabama law on firearms was relevant and not federal law.

So while this doesn't nessecarily say so, it's possible that a court may rule in favor of a reciprocity agreement.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...it's possible that a court may rule in favor of a reciprocity agreement.

And that's been my opinion as well, but it seems I'm in the minority from my research.

And with the lack of enforcement of the unconstitutional law, we don't get much data to satisfy our morbid curiosity!

EMNofSeattle

And that's been my opinion as well, but it seems I'm in the minority from my research.

And with the lack of enforcement of the unconstitutional law, we don't get much data to satisfy our morbid curiosity!

That's fine, I don't want the data anyway.

getting data will mean invariably the law was challenged and upheld... no good.

frankly, I think a court would uphold a reciprocity agreement, because by "issuing" the agreement or law allowing carry, that state has "issued" license to those citizens, and by agreement "verified" that they are qualified under their own state laws to issue that.

EMNofSeattle

Here's what I want you to do, next time you stay in Seattle I want you to visit my lovely little hometown of Port Orchard WA, you're going to go to downtown seattle for a little boat ride, go to the ferry terminal on a business day, you want the boat for "Bremerton" not Bainbridge island, do not mix up the boats. an hour later when you arrive in Bremerton, take the little foot ferry from the Bremerton dock to downtown Port Orchard. go up the giant hill until you get to Division Street, voila, you've arrived at the Kitsap County Courthouse, apply there.

From what I understand Kitsap county has the fastest permit issuance on the western half of the state. no one I know of who's applied there who's waited more then a week for a CPL there. which is fast for Washington. Oh and while you're on your way back to the port orchard foot ferry dock to get back to Bremerton please stop in and have lunch at the Hideaway Cafe, they're a local business who are very OC friendly.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
That's fine, I don't want the data anyway.

getting data will mean invariably the law was challenged ....

Right. That's what I was thinking at the time. Though data can come from a successful challenge, too! But challenges mean arrests, and hassles. We don't need that, either.

It's actually kind of cool knowing we can pretty much ignore a federal law and get away with it. Makes me feel special, ...like a cop.

fetch

A good test case.

Though this is a CPL issue and the thread is off topic, a permit from Nevada is valid in Washington. Its really not an option for the states.
I still don't understand why the states do not follow the Constitution, (HAHAHAHA SARCASM).

US Constitution,
Article. IV.
Section. 1.

Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

Section. 2.

The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States.