Thread: Open carry- rifle walk

Open carry- rifle walk

Greetings. New to Virginia and new to the site.

I had a question/ wanted to see if anyone else was interested. I have seen alot of photos/videos of open carry rifle walks, where a group of people demonstrates their rights to open carry rifles by simply getting together and walking. From what I can see, this appears to be fully legal in Virginia as long as you have a low capacity mag while open carrying it.

Not trying to sound reckless or looking for a fight, but I am extremely offended by the attack on rifles by the media and was seeing if anyone else would be interested in this. I regularly demonstrate my right to carry a pistol, but it is not the right that is being attacked. Seeing if anyone would be interested.

Looking forward to the next OC get together

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    I'm not going to debate the legality/intent/good feelings/educational value of what you suggest.

What I will say is that if you decide to OC a rifle nowadays, you are going to get your ass shot. Either by a cop, or someone legally carrying a handgun who thinks you are headed to their local elementary school.

Nice intentions, bad timing.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by cjakesnyder1988 View Post
    Greetings. New to Virginia and new to the site.

I had a question/ wanted to see if anyone else was interested. I have seen alot of photos/videos of open carry rifle walks, where a group of people demonstrates their rights to open carry rifles by simply getting together and walking. From what I can see, this appears to be fully legal in Virginia as long as you have a low capacity mag while open carrying it.

Not trying to sound reckless or looking for a fight, but I am extremely offended by the attack on rifles by the media and was seeing if anyone else would be interested in this. I regularly demonstrate my right to carry a pistol, but it is not the right that is being attacked. Seeing if anyone would be interested.

Looking forward to the next OC get together
    Welcome to OCDO. Before making any more posts please go read the rules at http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

Rule (14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    I'm not going to debate the legality/intent/good feelings/educational value of what you suggest.

What I will say is that if you decide to OC a rifle nowadays, you are going to get your ass shot. Either by a cop, or someone legally carrying a handgun who thinks you are headed to their local elementary school.

Nice intentions, bad timing.
    I don't really agree with that. It depends on where you are. I spend a lot of time OC'ing a rifle, but not in the burbs or city.

It is way off topic as Wolf Shadow pointed out but beyond that, it has a negative impact. Soccer mom's see someone OCing a handgun and the might fuss a little but if they see someone OCing a slung rifle, they'll get the vapors.

A good way to get new legislation that will be restrictive is to do things that will deliberately upset people. Doing it after a tragedy like the school shootings, is horrible judgment, bad taste and beneath all of us.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_shadow View Post
    Welcome to OCDO. Before making any more posts please go read the rules at http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

Rule (14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.
    Thanks Wolf - I've been off-line more that usual, so behind in my rulz quoting. Will tie this one up.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.