• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry- rifle walk

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjakesnyder1988

Greetings. New to Virginia and new to the site.

I had a question/ wanted to see if anyone else was interested. I have seen alot of photos/videos of open carry rifle walks, where a group of people demonstrates their rights to open carry rifles by simply getting together and walking. From what I can see, this appears to be fully legal in Virginia as long as you have a low capacity mag while open carrying it.

Not trying to sound reckless or looking for a fight, but I am extremely offended by the attack on rifles by the media and was seeing if anyone else would be interested in this. I regularly demonstrate my right to carry a pistol, but it is not the right that is being attacked. Seeing if anyone would be interested.

Looking forward to the next OC get together

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
I'm not going to debate the legality/intent/good feelings/educational value of what you suggest.

What I will say is that if you decide to OC a rifle nowadays, you are going to get your ass shot. Either by a cop, or someone legally carrying a handgun who thinks you are headed to their local elementary school.

Nice intentions, bad timing.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Greetings. New to Virginia and new to the site.

I had a question/ wanted to see if anyone else was interested. I have seen alot of photos/videos of open carry rifle walks, where a group of people demonstrates their rights to open carry rifles by simply getting together and walking. From what I can see, this appears to be fully legal in Virginia as long as you have a low capacity mag while open carrying it.

Not trying to sound reckless or looking for a fight, but I am extremely offended by the attack on rifles by the media and was seeing if anyone else would be interested in this. I regularly demonstrate my right to carry a pistol, but it is not the right that is being attacked. Seeing if anyone would be interested.

Looking forward to the next OC get together
Welcome to OCDO. Before making any more posts please go read the rules at http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

Rule (14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'm not going to debate the legality/intent/good feelings/educational value of what you suggest.

What I will say is that if you decide to OC a rifle nowadays, you are going to get your ass shot. Either by a cop, or someone legally carrying a handgun who thinks you are headed to their local elementary school.

Nice intentions, bad timing.

I don't really agree with that. It depends on where you are. I spend a lot of time OC'ing a rifle, but not in the burbs or city.

It is way off topic as Wolf Shadow pointed out but beyond that, it has a negative impact. Soccer mom's see someone OCing a handgun and the might fuss a little but if they see someone OCing a slung rifle, they'll get the vapors.

A good way to get new legislation that will be restrictive is to do things that will deliberately upset people. Doing it after a tragedy like the school shootings, is horrible judgment, bad taste and beneath all of us.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to OCDO. Before making any more posts please go read the rules at http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

Rule (14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.

Thanks Wolf - I've been off-line more that usual, so behind in my rulz quoting. Will tie this one up.

Status
Not open for further replies.