• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got thinking at Wal-mart

mpguy

I was ocing at Walmart here in Suffolk, and while I was picking up some SD round's to fill out my magazines, I got looking. Ammo pickings are...well really bad. I asked the lady when the next truck was coming in. She said it could come on any truck, just depends. So, I'm sitting there when a guy walked up asking for Shotgun ammo, and claimed he had been as far as Ronoake looking for ammo. If the statement was true, is not to important but, it did get me thinking.

Why don't we post here, with Mod's permission's of course, during our time OCing to pick up ammo, or any general store that people buy from in there area, to post here what you bought, and if its in decent stock. Obviously, you don't have to post everything you got, depending on your buying at the time. I know most may buy online, but it's nice to be able to go some where while your out on running errands, and pick up a box or two, while your out and about.

We have the following places here that sell ammo,

1. Wal-mart Will have to get the address :p

2. Revolver Armorer Sport Goods - Info revolverarmorer.com
(757) 538-1361 - 3921 Nansemond Pky, Suffolk, VA.

3. Southern Gun Works - Info
(757) 934-1423 - 167 S Main St, Suffolk, VA.

4. Dashiell's Showroom LLC - Info
(757) 539-7854 - Carolina Rd. Suffolk VA. (Will have to get the numerical part, they moved from Holland Rd.)

Tonight I bought a box of PDX Surpreme, in .45. 8 boxes left of .45 mostly fmj. 4 boxes of .40 in tula ammo, mixed 12 gauge/20 gauge, mostly turkey shot in 2 and 3/4 inch. and .22. Alot of the .22 is actually jhp.

Just a idea, hope it helps out in some way.

WalkingWolf

I don't buy ammo, I usually buy reloading components. Time for a oil change on the Mrs car, and hopefully with a smile she can bring home more wheel weights. I still have 10 2 lb ingots to go through that is a lot of bullets for a while.

mpguy

I don't buy ammo, I usually buy reloading components. Time for a oil change on the Mrs car, and hopefully with a smile she can bring home more wheel weights. I still have 10 2 lb ingots to go through that is a lot of bullets for a while.

This is what I plan on doing, but until the first of the year, I'm using cheap factory stuff to build a supply of casings, and practice.

WalkingWolf

This is what I plan on doing, but until the first of the year, I'm using cheap factory stuff to build a supply of casings, and practice.

Check around the ranges, you might be able to buy once fired brass. Used to be police depts used all factory ammo, and may be a source of once fired brass. Most brass lasts a long time, my problem with semi autos is finding the brass after it ejects. It is about time to find some more 45 ACP brass, I may just buy new nickle brass this time, might be easier to spot on the ground.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Check around the ranges, you might be able to buy once fired brass. Used to be police depts used all factory ammo, and may be a source of once fired brass. Most brass lasts a long time, my problem with semi autos is finding the brass after it ejects. It is about time to find some more 45 ACP brass, I may just buy new nickle brass this time, might be easier to spot on the ground.

That's my number 2 complaint with semi auto's WW.

Thankfully I have 10,000 rounds of brass I haven't even cleaned yet that came from range sweepings.

Last edited:

mpguy

I was going to ask if you could reload nickle plated brass. This is good news, as though its only 40, I have 40 rounds of PDX 1's now, and when it comes to rotating ammo, I know i can use the casing's for plinking. I'll have to see if Suffolk PD does anything like that, as I don't know if they have a indoor range, or if they go some where like Bob's. I also saw what I thought was a container of presized checked casings at the last gun show for 40 bucks. I plan on going to one, early in the year. I'll re-check that price while I'm there.

If I may ask, does anyone use Hornaday for reloading powder? Would there be a powder company that most swear buy?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I was going to ask if you could reload nickle plated brass. This is good news, as though its only 40, I have 40 rounds of PDX 1's now, and when it comes to rotating ammo, I know i can use the casing's for plinking. I'll have to see if Suffolk PD does anything like that, as I don't know if they have a indoor range, or if they go some where like Bob's. I also saw what I thought was a container of presized checked casings at the last gun show for 40 bucks. I plan on going to one, early in the year. I'll re-check that price while I'm there.

If I may ask, does anyone use Hornaday for reloading powder? Would there be a powder company that most swear buy?

As far as I know Hornaday doesn't make a reloading powder MP.
There is no best powder. You buy powder based on what your loading. Bullseye is pretty much universal for extremely light loads but from there you have to consult a loading reference for caliber, bullet weight, velocity and what the gun shoots best with.

WalkingWolf

Nickel plated bottle neck cartridges tend to split the plating, that is probably why I never have seen any. Nickel is not a good choice for case forming(necking down cases). Nickel is great for pistol cartridges and straight wall rifle cartridges. Make sure the brass you get is not aluminum, it is not safe to be resized, and reloaded. As far as Powder most of the powder makers provide a powder to fit most purposes. I use Winchester, and Hodgdon because it works and is available. I have used other powders in the past with just as good results. Hodgdon online has a burn rate chart for all powders. You can buy a load manual or use the data provided by the powder manufacturers.