• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

emails to Congress

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I frequently hear folks say that they want to send an email to their Congressman and/or Senator about some gun rights subject but just do not know what to say. I aMm proposing that those of us who do communicate with our elected representatives copy samples that others may copy and edit for their own use.

To that end, here is this week's* communique to my Congressman and two Senators:

Dear <Congressman/Senator> <Last Name>,

The introduction of a new "Assault Weapon" ban will do little to curb the commission of mass murders, and will impose draconian hardships on otherwise legal owners of certain styles of firearms and ammunition magazines. There is no way that Congress can legislate away evil, and it is evil that caused the horrendous deaths that a new "Assault Weapon" ban seeks to control.

If anything, the nation's mental health treatment system is the bulwark which has the possibility of protecting us from yet another mass murder. That system, unfortunately, is woefully inadequate to provide the kind of outreach and service needed to identify and treat the mentally deranged who are most likely to commit mass murders. Family, friends, and even casual aquaintences of all of the recent mass murders knew there was "something wrong" but did not know what to do about of for the individual. A few had tried to engage the mental health system but found it lacking the resources needed to provide any meaningful intervention and service. This problem must be fixed.
The proposed new "Assault Weapons" ban, as well as the 1994 ban, addressed cosmetic features that made certain firearms "scary" yet did almost nothing to lower the crime rate or reduce the number of deaths or woundings from firearms. Both the Department of Justice and the Centers for Disease Control have reported that the impact of the 1994 "Assault Weapons" ban was statistically insignificant in that regard.

I urge you to reject the notion that Congress can legislate evil away, and ask that you vote against any "Assault Weapons" ban or other bill which would create another form of gun control. There are approximately 2,000 Federal and 20,000+ State/Local firearm laws already on the books. These laws need to be enforced, instead of thinking that "just one more" will magically fix the problems behind the evil that is at the heart of these tragic mass murders.

I will be closely watching your response to any attempt to create further restrictions on the right to keep and bear arms.

I give permission for anybody to copy or modify the above except that copying or modifying may not be for the purpose of supporting any "Assault Weapons" ban or other legislation that would restrict the right to keep and bear arms.

stay safe.

* - I try to send someting to my elected representatives (both Federal and State) at least once a week. That way they know how to properly represent me. As issues heat up I will fire off any number of additional letters/short notes.

All of the Members of Congress have an form for contacting them via email. I have bookmarked them for my representatives. I compose my correspondence first, and them paste it in the appropriate box as I am filling out the contact form.

Added: Find and Contanct your Representative in the US House by Zip Code:
http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/
Contact Your Senators :
http://www.senate.gov/

Last edited:

The Airframer

I give permission for anybody to copy or modify the above except that copying or modifying may not be for the purpose of supporting any "Assault Weapons" ban or other legislation that would restrict the right to keep and bear arms.[/URL]
Thanks for the letter example Skid. Just wrote my Congressman, I pray it doesn't fall on deaf ears or get re-directed to his spam box.

Whitney

Rest assured you are counted.

I give permission for anybody to copy or modify the above except that copying or modifying may not be for the purpose of supporting any "Assault Weapons" ban or other legislation that would restrict the right to keep and bear arms.[/URL]
Thanks for the letter example Skid. Just wrote my Congressman, I pray it doesn't fall on deaf ears or get re-directed to his spam box.

Your e-mail may not be read by your representative, however, it will be sorted and categorized by staff. Your opinion matters, and you may just find yourself establishing a relationship with your representative.

~Whitney

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
This week's correspondence. As before, full permission to copy and/or modify is granted.

A copy of this went to both Senators as well, substituting their name/address as appropriate.

stay safe.

Dear Congressman ____,

As the national hysteria for more "gun control" increases I hear that Congress is considering myriad proposals that do little to nothing about addressing the problem of how to deal with a mentally deranged individual that, for any of a variety of reasons, has not become a prohibited person regarding the purchase or possession of firearms. The solution to this dilemma is not to increase the already existing restrictions and limitations on the purchase and possession of firearms, but to develop ways to provide appropriate and adequate mental health services to mentally deranged individuals.

These persons do not just suddenly become mentally deranged, with no warning. Of those who have committed mass murders in the United States, all were known (often at an early age) to have significant mental health issues. Unfortunately, either they were never connected to the mental health treatment service system or the services they received were inadequate - usually because the cost of providing that service was considered "prohibitive" in relation to outcome expectations.
While the total is as yet unklnown, the amount of money the government will spend on any of the proposed or anticipated "gun control" plans such as registration would likely be more than sufficient to cover the cost of mental health care for the small number of persons who fit or are suspected of fitting the category of mentally deranged person likely to commit mass murder or other wide-scale violence.

I urge you to oppose any increase in the current federal laws regarding the purchase or possession of firearms, and to seek ways of directing the funds that might have gone into those proposed programs to the improvement of mental health services to identify and treat those suspected of fitting the category of mentally deranged person likely to commit mass murder or other wide-scale violence.

I will be closely following your activities in regard to these matters. Support, even tacit support, for any increase in federal laws regarding the purchase or possession of firearms will be cause to withdraw my support.

skidmark

OC for ME

Dear Congressperson ________________

You vote for any new gun restrictions I will not vote for you. I have quite a few friends, and I will wear out a few pairs of sneakers working my town, to get you booted out of office. I'll be talking smack about you at the bar where it is common to bend a ear or two about no-account politicians who vote against liberty.

Spend your limited amount of time in the Nations Capital getting our fiscal house in order because that is the only reason why I sent you up there in the first place.

Respectfully
Watchful Voter