• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Protest at the Capital.

Warren Drouin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWiZyo17rzs

Salem,OR
10:00am
Feb. 8th, 2013

Bear what ever arms you wish or not, but be there to stand up for your Right to keep and bear arms.
Lets stop this unlawful actions from our Federal and Local Government. We have allowed them to
seize our 4th Amendment (Patriot Act, TSA, and etc), 2nd Amendment (NFA, ATF, and etc), 6th Amendment
(NDAA, and etc), 1st Amendment (Trespass act, and etc). Let stand and give them our expression of
anger and distrust.

Jeff. State

Banned
Why Friday??????? Shaking head a little.

They would get a MUCH larger turn out one day later. I'm going to do my best to go.

Is OC "legal" in Salem without a CCL? If so, 1911 and a slung M1A will be the choice for the day.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Is OC "legal" in Salem without a CCL? If so, 1911 and a slung M1A will be the choice for the day.

Unloaded OC is legal in Salem without a CHL. Loaded OC is legal with a CHL, although the way the law is written it is legally impossible for an officer to check the loaded state of your openly carried firearm. My understanding of how the law works is that when something is illegal but with exceptions, then a police officer has to have RAS that you don't meet an exception (they do the investigation). If the law says something is illegal but there are affirmative defenses, then they can detain/arrest you immediately and you have to assert that you have a lawful defense (you do the investigation). The municipal code is 95.095. I'd probably carry unloaded but with a magazine inserted to learn how Salem PD will deal with it.

Edit: I'm curious why you want to protest at the Oregon Capitol. All the laws you cited were federal ones, is the Oregon legislature drafting bills that would restrict our firearm rights?

Last edited:

Jeff. State

Banned
Unloaded OC is legal in Salem without a CHL. Loaded OC is legal with a CHL, although the way the law is written it is legally impossible for an officer to check the loaded state of your openly carried firearm. My understanding of how the law works is that when something is illegal but with exceptions, then a police officer has to have RAS that you don't meet an exception (they do the investigation). If the law says something is illegal but there are affirmative defenses, then they can detain/arrest you immediately and you have to assert that you have a lawful defense (you do the investigation). The municipal code is 95.095. I'd probably carry unloaded but with a magazine inserted to learn how Salem PD will deal with it.

Edit: I'm curious why you want to protest at the Oregon Capitol. All the laws you cited were federal ones, is the Oregon legislature drafting bills that would restrict our firearm rights?

There is talk of a 10 rd. magazine law being introduced in the OR. legislature.

On the Salem OC laws, WE are going there to stand for our 2nd Amend. Rights. THEIR OC law and "permits" for CC are against the 2nd, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED. I sit here and say, "I don't want to break any laws.....", they are the ones in the wrong but putting ANY restrictions on our right to carry. Screw em, OC without the CCL, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

We-the-People

********** BE CAREFUL **********

Carrying at the Capital Building without a CHL is a violation of the ORS. See OR 166.360 (for definition of "Capital Building" and "Public Building") and 166.370 (for the prohibition). The prohibition IS NOT limited to only inside of the building. It INCLUDES the GROUNDS ADJACENT TO the building.

166.360 (1) “Capitol building” means the Capitol, the State Office Building, the State Library Building, the Labor and Industries Building, the State Transportation Building, the Agriculture Building or the Public Service Building and includes any new buildings which may be constructed on the same grounds as an addition to the group of buildings listed in this subsection.

166.360 (4) “Public building” means a hospital, a capitol building, a public or private school, as defined in ORS 339.315, a college or university, a city hall or the residence of any state official elected by the state at large, and the grounds adjacent to each such building. The term also includes that portion of any other building occupied by an agency of the state or a municipal corporation, as defined in ORS 297.405, other than a court facility.

166.360 (5) “Weapon” means:
(a) A firearm;

166.370 Possession of firearm or dangerous weapon in public building or court facility; exceptions; discharging firearm at school. (1) Any person who intentionally possesses a loaded or unloaded firearm or any other instrument used as a dangerous weapon, while in or on a public building, shall upon conviction be guilty of a Class C felony.

166.370 (3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:
(d) A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun.

With a CHL you can carry as you wish, open, concealed, pistol, long gun....yadda yadda.

Without a CHL you can carry in Salem if unloaded (city ordinance) but you still cannot be in the Capital Building OR on the grounds adjacent to it.

I'm also curious why it's on a Friday instead of a Saturday for turnout purposes.

Last edited:

bwboley

Activist Member
I dont think i will carry my ar loaded due to the recent shootings, if i do take it, id carry it without a mag or maybe just leave it home and take my glock.

I dont feel like posting a thread taken down at gun point at the Salem capital

We-the-People

I doubt they'd do that as the State and Capital police will most likely be the one in charge of policing the area. They should be well aware of the law. When I OC'd at a Tea Party rally prior to Obamacare a State motorcycle officer pulled in to where he could observe me, watched for about 5 minutes, and departed without any contact and I was on the grounds as well as the sidewalk and street (blocked off for the rally). He could have approached using 166.380 to check for a CHL and/or load condition (that's a stupid law) when I was on the grounds but he did not. (by uing 166.380 he could approach and use the load condition check authorized by 166.380 but offer me the opportunity to present a CHL to avoid the load check....without the CHL it's prohibited to be there o it' just stupid to have 166.380 on the book as it is written).

Long guns might make them a bit more squeamish but you have to think they've considered the possibility of them being present at a protest over the current local attacks on Oregon gun rights.

Jeff. State

Banned
Is the offense without a CC permit a misdemeanor?

I haven't asked permission from the State to keep and bear my arms when, where and how I choose. The whole CC "permit" thing is an Infringement.

Historyman1942

I think you guys should really just open carry pistols and dress in casual business attire or something thats decent. I fully support the second Amendment, but I believe setting a more professional environment the overall right to carry a lot more.

The dress difference is something I picked up because I'm a business owner who more often than not is dressed in business attire. I've noticed different reactions from people and cops, especially from Salem, when you're cleaned up so to speak compared to wearing everyday clothes and t-shirts.

I have many more positive encounters this way, and it's the best when people have their first encounter with someone openly carrying. Just MHO. I may be down there if this is more of the case, perhaps with my attorney watching ready to tell the cops off if needed.

Sent from my DROIDX

We-the-People

I think you guys should really just open carry pistols and dress in casual business attire or something thats decent. I fully support the second Amendment, but I believe setting a more professional environment the overall right to carry a lot more.

The dress difference is something I picked up because I'm a business owner who more often than not is dressed in business attire. I've noticed different reactions from people and cops, especially from Salem, when you're cleaned up so to speak compared to wearing everyday clothes and t-shirts.

I have many more positive encounters this way, and it's the best when people have their first encounter with someone openly carrying. Just MHO. I may be down there if this is more of the case, perhaps with my attorney watching ready to tell the cops off if needed.

Sent from my DROIDX

On the other hand, our rights are our rights....regardless of whether we are dressed in business casual, redneck, hippie, or bad ass biker attire. At a political rally/protest I'm far more likely to "grub out", take my hair out of the pony tail, and let the "authorities" wonder........

Historyman1942

I agree, they are your rights. However what is going to help you best achieve the goals here of educating the masses and putting yourself in a better position to encounter other civilians. Dont make the focus on the cops.

Sent from my DROIDX

Last edited:

01rednavigator

There is now a new added Date, due to the rushed, shoved down our throat approach to Frankensteins proposed Jan 22nd, 2013 Bill.

"Guns Across America" Rally
January 19th, 2013
Confirmed for a Salem Captial Steps Rally from 10AM to 2PM.
Parking is Free on street meters on weekends.
No Permit was required for Saturday.

Please brings signs, food, water, and whatever you deem necessary for the day.
Please try to be in place on the front Capitol steps by Noon.
Lars Larson ( 101.1 FM Radio )wants to inverview any good spokesperson neek week to promote the gathering on his radio program.
Volunteers for said interview please contact TOM via e-mail: thomastharp@ymail.com
This is a Peaceful and Respectful Rally.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/le...triot-party-capitol-salem-feb-8th-2013-a.html

Jeff. State

Banned
Do we have any idea which date is expecting the biggest turnout????

I'm only able ($$$) to make one trip from down South. This Saturday makes the most sense for me.