Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37

Thread: The Ferry Tale Tour Goes To Chesterfield

  1. #1
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    The Ferry Tale Tour Goes To Chesterfield

    As everyone knows, Skidmark was plucked from his home by the Chesterfield Police on a Surry County warrant because he disagreed with a VDOT Security Guard.

    After a long court battle in a county with a very questionable legal establishment, Daniel Hawes, Esquire proved Skid not guilty of anything at all.

    Now Mr. Hawes and Skidmark are asking for justice again, this time in Civil Court. The case was filed in Chesterfield because that's where he was first accosted and other reasons that make it the proper venue.

    Sheriff Clayton wants the case moved to Surry County where he has some measure of influence over the Courts as well a considerable family influence over any jury selected there. On January 8, 2013 at 12:15 he will ask a Chesterfield Judge to change the venue.

    I will be there at 11:00 to record the outside events and observe the proceedings inside. I will be recording anyone who would like to comment in the parking lot of the Chesterfield Court between 11:00 and Noon.
    Last edited by peter nap; 01-01-2013 at 06:49 AM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Prince William County
    Posts
    99
    Might as well just spend the day in/around Richmond.

    Is this the address for my GPS?

    9500 Courthouse Road
    Chesterfield, VA 23832-0125

  3. #3
    Activist Member Wolf_shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Accomac, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,213

    The Ferry Tale Tour Goes To Chesterfield

    Hope to make this one, if work doesn't foul me up.
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."



  4. #4
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob1 View Post
    Might as well just spend the day in/around Richmond.

    Is this the address for my GPS?

    9500 Courthouse Road
    Chesterfield, VA 23832-0125
    That's the place Bob!

  5. #5
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069
    Too cold.

    And ya'll on't like me anyway. :-p
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  6. #6
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Will Mr. Hawes be allowed to provide any evidence of the shenanigans that have gone on in Surry to help his case against the Surry folks?

    TFred

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Will Mr. Hawes be allowed to provide any evidence of the shenanigans that have gone on in Surry to help his case against the Surry folks?

    TFred
    The hearing is to determine if the Sheriff of Surry County can persuade the Chesterfield County Circuit Court Judge to have the case heard in his (the Sheriff's) back yard, as opposed to the myriad of reasons why Chesterfield County is the proper jurisdiction for the trial.

    The issue is explained here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venue_i...ivil_procedure . Category A (Preferred Venue) is defined at http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+8.01-261. Category B (Permissable Venue) is defined at http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+8.01-262 .

    And thus endeth the lessons on the law for today.

    stay safe.
    Last edited by skidmark; 01-01-2013 at 02:28 PM. Reason: ratzfratzen typos
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  8. #8
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    The hearing is to determine if Sheriff of Surry County can poersuade the Chesterfield County Circuit Court Judge to have the case heard in his (the Sheriff's) back yard, as opposed to the myriad of reasons why Chesterfield County is the proper jurisdiction for the trial.

    The issue is explained here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venue_i...ivil_procedure . Category A (Preferred Venue) is defined at http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+8.01-261. Category B (Permissable Venue) is defined at http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+8.01-262 .

    And thus endeth the lessons on the law for today.

    stay safe.
    My wording was a bit muddled... what I meant to ask was whether Mr. Hawes would be able to present any of the evidence against the knuckleheads in Surry, to help convince the judge that it would be grossly unfair to move it back to their "back yard", where they might be able to continue with their "knuckeheadedness."

    Or is he limited to arguing only the reasons outlined in the code sections above, with no regard for their inappropriate and illegal behavior? If that is the case, it would seem to be (continue to be) a stacked deck against the aggrieved citizen.

    TFred

  9. #9
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    My wording was a bit muddled... what I meant to ask was whether Mr. Hawes would be able to present any of the evidence against the knuckleheads in Surry, to help convince the judge that it would be grossly unfair to move it back to their "back yard", where they might be able to continue with their "knuckeheadedness."

    Or is he limited to arguing only the reasons outlined in the code sections above, with no regard for their inappropriate and illegal behavior? If that is the case, it would seem to be (continue to be) a stacked deck against the aggrieved citizen.

    TFred
    I certainly can't speak for counsel Tfred, but I'd expect it to be only the venue argument.

  10. #10
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post
    Too cold.

    And ya'll on't like me anyway. :-p
    That's true. Just the other day I was saying to the cashier at Tractor Supply. "You know, I really on't like ixtow. Don't remember why, just on't!"

    It's not really cold here though. It's because of all those Killer Whale farts, but that's another story.

    Years ago when I got up, I always had to start a fire then another a half hour later to thaw out the first one.
    I on't have to do that anymore.
    Last edited by peter nap; 01-01-2013 at 09:01 PM.

  11. #11
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    As everyone knows, Skidmark was plucked from his home by the Chesterfield Police on a Surry County warrant because he disagreed with a VDOT Security Guard.

    After a long court battle in a county with a very questionable legal establishment, Daniel Hawes, Esquire proved Skid not guilty of anything at all.

    Now Mr. Hawes and Skidmark are asking for justice again, this time in Civil Court. The case was filed in Chesterfield because that's where he was first accosted and other reasons that make it the proper venue.

    Sheriff Clayton wants the case moved to Surry County where he has some measure of influence over the Courts as well a considerable family influence over any jury selected there. On January 8, 2013 at 12:15 he will ask a Chesterfield Judge to change the venue.

    I will be there at 11:00 to record the outside events and observe the proceedings inside. I will be recording anyone who would like to comment in the parking lot of the Chesterfield Court between 11:00 and Noon.
    The worm turns ....... and the worm is ravenous. First we shall determine where it shall be served, we know what it wants - let justice prevail.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  12. #12
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I certainly can't speak for counsel Tfred, but I'd expect it to be only the venue argument.
    Ugh, I'm oh-fer-two today... What I'm trying to ask is, can they use the shenanigans pulled by the Surry folks in the argument to keep the venue AWAY from Surry! Since it is obvious that they would continue with said shenanigans and thus deprive Skidmark of justice yet once again...

    TFred

  13. #13
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Ugh, I'm oh-fer-two today... What I'm trying to ask is, can they use the shenanigans pulled by the Surry folks in the argument to keep the venue AWAY from Surry! Since it is obvious that they would continue with said shenanigans and thus deprive Skidmark of justice yet once again...

    TFred
    I'd say no if it were any other attorney Tfred.....But I've learned that when Dan Hawes reaches into his hat, it ain't always a rabbit he pulls out.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    As everyone knows, Skidmark was plucked from his home by the Chesterfield Police on a Surry County warrant because he disagreed with a VDOT Security Guard.

    After a long court battle in a county with a very questionable legal establishment, Daniel Hawes, Esquire proved Skid not guilty of anything at all.

    Now Mr. Hawes and Skidmark are asking for justice again, this time in Civil Court. The case was filed in Chesterfield because that's where he was first accosted and other reasons that make it the proper venue.

    Sheriff Clayton wants the case moved to Surry County where he has some measure of influence over the Courts as well a considerable family influence over any jury selected there. On January 8, 2013 at 12:15 he will ask a Chesterfield Judge to change the venue.

    I will be there at 11:00 to record the outside events and observe the proceedings inside. I will be recording anyone who would like to comment in the parking lot of the Chesterfield Court between 11:00 and Noon.
    LOL I doubt my comments would be allowed as I refuse to bite my tongue and not tell the truth about what I saw in and out of court and not just by the Sheriff without quite a few BEEPS.

    The acting by the prosecution “team” was about as bad as it gets!

    It will be interesting to have the hearing here in Chesterfield where they can’t get away with their drama queen antics.

    I wonder if Poindexter will try his secret camera again?

  15. #15
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    [QUOTE=va_tazdad;1873760 ....
    I wonder if Poindexter will try his secret camera again?[/QUOTE]

    AFAIK Poindexter will not be involved in this round of the Ferry Tale. He is not representing any of the defendants.

    While we may all miss the high drama he provided, I know at least two people who will be glad not to have to deal with it on a near-daily basis.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  16. #16
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    AFAIK Poindexter will not be involved in this round of the Ferry Tale. He is not representing any of the defendants.

    While we may all miss the high drama he provided, I know at least two people who will be glad not to have to deal with it on a near-daily basis.

    stay safe.
    I would have hoped that Mr. Poindexter would be one of the defendants... but I suppose the nature of his office makes that rather difficult.

    TFred

  17. #17
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    I would have hoped that Mr. Poindexter would be one of the defendants... but I suppose the nature of his office makes that rather difficult.
    TFred
    The list of those that want a piece of that action is lengthy - please take a number
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 01-03-2013 at 06:17 AM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  18. #18
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    That's true. Just the other day I was saying to the cashier at Tractor Supply. "You know, I really on't like ixtow. Don't remember why, just on't!"

    It's not really cold here though. It's because of all those Killer Whale farts, but that's another story.

    Years ago when I got up, I always had to start a fire then another a half hour later to thaw out the first one.
    I on't have to do that anymore.
    Lols. If it's below 80, forget it. :-p
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  19. #19
    Regular Member 2a4all's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Newport News, VA, ,
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    The hearing is to determine if the Sheriff of Surry County can persuade the Chesterfield County Circuit Court Judge to have the case heard in his (the Sheriff's) back yard, as opposed to the myriad of reasons why Chesterfield County is the proper jurisdiction for the trial.

    The issue is explained here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venue_i...ivil_procedure . Category A (Preferred Venue) is defined at http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+8.01-261. Category B (Permissable Venue) is defined at http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+8.01-262 .

    And thus endeth the lessons on the law for today.

    stay safe.
    In which circuit court does the Chesterfield County Circuit Court judge hear cases? There is no circuit court listed for Chesterfield.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

    Member VCDL, NRA

  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post
    In which circuit court does the Chesterfield County Circuit Court judge hear cases? There is no circuit court listed for Chesterfield.
    You mean this one http://www.courts.state.va.us/courts...ield/home.html is not listed?

    Where were you looking that you did not find it? Possibly here http://wasdmz2.courts.state.va.us/CJISWeb/circuit.html ? Why Chesterfield is not there I do not know. Perhaps you ought to contact them and let them know of the oversight.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Heart of Appalachia
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post
    In which circuit court does the Chesterfield County Circuit Court judge hear cases? There is no circuit court listed for Chesterfield.
    Actually, the address was posted further up in the thread, three days ago (above the one you quoted so you couldn't have missed it).

  22. #22
    Regular Member 2a4all's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Newport News, VA, ,
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    You mean this one http://www.courts.state.va.us/courts...ield/home.html is not listed?

    Where were you looking that you did not find it? Possibly here http://wasdmz2.courts.state.va.us/CJISWeb/circuit.html ? Why Chesterfield is not there I do not know. Perhaps you ought to contact them and let them know of the oversight.

    stay safe.
    Thanks, Skid. I'll try to let the powers that be know that Chesterfield Circuit Court isn't in the wasdmz2 list.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1911 Enthusiast View Post
    Actually, the address was posted further up in the thread, three days ago (above the one you quoted so you couldn't have missed it).
    I wasn't looking for the street address.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

    Member VCDL, NRA

  23. #23
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543

    The Ferry Tale Tour Goes To Chesterfield

    Good luck Skid!! Hope you prevail in your (correct) choice of venue.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  24. #24
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911 Enthusiast View Post
    Actually, the address was posted further up in the thread, three days ago (above the one you quoted so you couldn't have missed it).
    He's looking for the docket details. Wants a preview to decide if he needs to bring more than one shopping bag/tote sack of popcorn.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  25. #25
    Regular Member 2a4all's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Newport News, VA, ,
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    He's looking for the docket details. Wants a preview to decide if he needs to bring more than one shopping bag/tote sack of popcorn.

    stay safe.
    I sent email to the clerk (who's a judge, BTW) inquiring as to why her court isn't in the wasdmz2 list.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

    Member VCDL, NRA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •