• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Ferry Tale Tour Goes To Chesterfield

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
As everyone knows, Skidmark was plucked from his home by the Chesterfield Police on a Surry County warrant because he disagreed with a VDOT Security Guard.

After a long court battle in a county with a very questionable legal establishment, Daniel Hawes, Esquire proved Skid not guilty of anything at all.

Now Mr. Hawes and Skidmark are asking for justice again, this time in Civil Court. The case was filed in Chesterfield because that's where he was first accosted and other reasons that make it the proper venue.

Sheriff Clayton wants the case moved to Surry County where he has some measure of influence over the Courts as well a considerable family influence over any jury selected there. On January 8, 2013 at 12:15 he will ask a Chesterfield Judge to change the venue.

I will be there at 11:00 to record the outside events and observe the proceedings inside. I will be recording anyone who would like to comment in the parking lot of the Chesterfield Court between 11:00 and Noon.

Last edited:

Bob1

Might as well just spend the day in/around Richmond.

Is this the address for my GPS?

9500 Courthouse Road
Chesterfield, VA 23832-0125

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Will Mr. Hawes be allowed to provide any evidence of the shenanigans that have gone on in Surry to help his case against the Surry folks?

TFred

The hearing is to determine if the Sheriff of Surry County can persuade the Chesterfield County Circuit Court Judge to have the case heard in his (the Sheriff's) back yard, as opposed to the myriad of reasons why Chesterfield County is the proper jurisdiction for the trial.

The issue is explained here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venue_in_Virginia_civil_procedure . Category A (Preferred Venue) is defined at http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+8.01-261. Category B (Permissable Venue) is defined at http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+8.01-262 .

And thus endeth the lessons on the law for today.

stay safe.

Last edited:

TFred

The hearing is to determine if Sheriff of Surry County can poersuade the Chesterfield County Circuit Court Judge to have the case heard in his (the Sheriff's) back yard, as opposed to the myriad of reasons why Chesterfield County is the proper jurisdiction for the trial.

The issue is explained here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venue_in_Virginia_civil_procedure . Category A (Preferred Venue) is defined at http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+8.01-261. Category B (Permissable Venue) is defined at http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+8.01-262 .

stay safe.
My wording was a bit muddled... what I meant to ask was whether Mr. Hawes would be able to present any of the evidence against the knuckleheads in Surry, to help convince the judge that it would be grossly unfair to move it back to their "back yard", where they might be able to continue with their "knuckeheadedness." :)

Or is he limited to arguing only the reasons outlined in the code sections above, with no regard for their inappropriate and illegal behavior? If that is the case, it would seem to be (continue to be) a stacked deck against the aggrieved citizen.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
My wording was a bit muddled... what I meant to ask was whether Mr. Hawes would be able to present any of the evidence against the knuckleheads in Surry, to help convince the judge that it would be grossly unfair to move it back to their "back yard", where they might be able to continue with their "knuckeheadedness." :)

Or is he limited to arguing only the reasons outlined in the code sections above, with no regard for their inappropriate and illegal behavior? If that is the case, it would seem to be (continue to be) a stacked deck against the aggrieved citizen.

TFred

I certainly can't speak for counsel Tfred, but I'd expect it to be only the venue argument.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Too cold.

And ya'll on't like me anyway. :p

That's true. Just the other day I was saying to the cashier at Tractor Supply. "You know, I really on't like ixtow. Don't remember why, just on't!":uhoh:

It's not really cold here though. It's because of all those Killer Whale farts, but that's another story.

Years ago when I got up, I always had to start a fire then another a half hour later to thaw out the first one.
I on't have to do that anymore.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
As everyone knows, Skidmark was plucked from his home by the Chesterfield Police on a Surry County warrant because he disagreed with a VDOT Security Guard.

After a long court battle in a county with a very questionable legal establishment, Daniel Hawes, Esquire proved Skid not guilty of anything at all.

Now Mr. Hawes and Skidmark are asking for justice again, this time in Civil Court. The case was filed in Chesterfield because that's where he was first accosted and other reasons that make it the proper venue.

Sheriff Clayton wants the case moved to Surry County where he has some measure of influence over the Courts as well a considerable family influence over any jury selected there. On January 8, 2013 at 12:15 he will ask a Chesterfield Judge to change the venue.

I will be there at 11:00 to record the outside events and observe the proceedings inside. I will be recording anyone who would like to comment in the parking lot of the Chesterfield Court between 11:00 and Noon.

The worm turns ....... and the worm is ravenous. First we shall determine where it shall be served, we know what it wants - let justice prevail.

TFred

I certainly can't speak for counsel Tfred, but I'd expect it to be only the venue argument.
Ugh, I'm oh-fer-two today... What I'm trying to ask is, can they use the shenanigans pulled by the Surry folks in the argument to keep the venue AWAY from Surry! Since it is obvious that they would continue with said shenanigans and thus deprive Skidmark of justice yet once again...

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Ugh, I'm oh-fer-two today... What I'm trying to ask is, can they use the shenanigans pulled by the Surry folks in the argument to keep the venue AWAY from Surry! Since it is obvious that they would continue with said shenanigans and thus deprive Skidmark of justice yet once again...

TFred

I'd say no if it were any other attorney Tfred.....But I've learned that when Dan Hawes reaches into his hat, it ain't always a rabbit he pulls out.

va_tazdad

LOL I doubt my comments would be allowed as I refuse to bite my tongue and not tell the truth about what I saw in and out of court and not just by the Sheriff without quite a few BEEPS.

The acting by the prosecution “team” was about as bad as it gets!

It will be interesting to have the hearing here in Chesterfield where they can’t get away with their drama queen antics.

I wonder if Poindexter will try his secret camera again?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
va_tazdad;1873760 .... I wonder if Poindexter will try his secret camera again?[/QUOTE said:
AFAIK Poindexter will not be involved in this round of the Ferry Tale. He is not representing any of the defendants.

While we may all miss the high drama he provided, I know at least two people who will be glad not to have to deal with it on a near-daily basis.

stay safe.

TFred

AFAIK Poindexter will not be involved in this round of the Ferry Tale. He is not representing any of the defendants.

While we may all miss the high drama he provided, I know at least two people who will be glad not to have to deal with it on a near-daily basis.

stay safe.
I would have hoped that Mr. Poindexter would be one of the defendants... but I suppose the nature of his office makes that rather difficult.

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I would have hoped that Mr. Poindexter would be one of the defendants... but I suppose the nature of his office makes that rather difficult.
TFred

The list of those that want a piece of that action is lengthy - please take a number :p

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
That's true. Just the other day I was saying to the cashier at Tractor Supply. "You know, I really on't like ixtow. Don't remember why, just on't!":uhoh:

It's not really cold here though. It's because of all those Killer Whale farts, but that's another story.

Years ago when I got up, I always had to start a fire then another a half hour later to thaw out the first one.
I on't have to do that anymore.

Lols. If it's below 80, forget it. :p

2a4all

The hearing is to determine if the Sheriff of Surry County can persuade the Chesterfield County Circuit Court Judge to have the case heard in his (the Sheriff's) back yard, as opposed to the myriad of reasons why Chesterfield County is the proper jurisdiction for the trial.

stay safe.
In which circuit court does the Chesterfield County Circuit Court judge hear cases? There is no circuit court listed for Chesterfield.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
In which circuit court does the Chesterfield County Circuit Court judge hear cases? There is no circuit court listed for Chesterfield.

You mean this one http://www.courts.state.va.us/courts/circuit/chesterfield/home.html is not listed?

Where were you looking that you did not find it? Possibly here http://wasdmz2.courts.state.va.us/CJISWeb/circuit.html ? Why Chesterfield is not there I do not know. Perhaps you ought to contact them and let them know of the oversight.

stay safe.