Thread: Permit renewal confusion

Question Permit renewal confusion

So i goofed and let my permit expire. I generally open carry but like to have a permit "just in case" and i sometimes prefer to pocket carry a jframe depending on what im wearing/doing a duty belt and holster sometimes dosnt work !!!

Anyway here are details
    My fairfax county issued permit expired in november 2012
    Ive been a loudoun resident for 3 years

Questions

1 Can this still be filled as a renewal or do i need do a new application?
    2. If it is a new apllication can i use the expired permit as proof of proficency
    3. The most important i checked all over the loudoun county circuit court website but cant figure out if the permit must be submitted in person or if i can have it notarized and mailed? I really dont want to take a day off work, loose a day of pay, and spend it goofing around in the courthouse!!

Thanks
    Last edited by conhntr; 01-01-2013 at 07:25 AM.

Oh, dear sweet and fluffy Zebu! You have done gone and re-opened a can of worms. And you have been here about 2 years, haven't you?

OCDO is a site pretty much dedicated to te open carry of handguns. We occassionally discuss concealed carry and the process whereby CHPs are issued, but usually only as it relates to the extra-legal or illegal activities of the Clerks.

The answer to your question is: "It depends." Some say if you ever had a CHP but let it expire it's still a renewal. Others say it's a new applicatiopn. Why do you care, if you are bound and determined to get a CHP?

Just go through the steps and let the Clerk pick which box to check.

Read up on what is permitted to be asked for, and know what is BS that you need to tell the Clerk is not allowed to be done/requested, and go in on the 46th day after the date stamped on your receipt and demand your Temporary CHP if the real one has not yet arrived.

And pray that Peter Nap considers this sufficient and does not add his thoughts - you really don't want to read them.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by conhntr View Post
    So i goofed and let my permit expire. I generally open carry but like to have a permit "just in case" and i sometimes prefer to pocket carry a jframe depending on what im wearing/doing a duty belt and holster sometimes dosnt work !!!

Anyway here are details

Questions

2. If it is a new apllication can i use the expired permit as proof of proficency
    3. The most important i checked all over the loudoun county circuit court website but cant figure out if the permit must be submitted in person or if i can have it notarized and mailed? I really dont want to take a day off work, loose a day of pay, and spend it goofing around in the courthouse!!

Thanks
    I can only answer #2 right off the top of my head. Even if you have to apply for a new permit, you are exempted from the training requirements with your old permit. Hell, I'm exempted and my permit expired in the 80's when there were no training requirements.

And pray that Peter Nap considers this sufficient and does not add his thoughts - you really don't want to read them.

Shucks...I'm in a good mood. I'm pretty sure I saw a road kill dog hunter this morning, crazydude's gonna knock on doors and Hillary has a brain clot. Now that's starting the year off right!

Last edited by peter nap; 01-01-2013 at 08:06 AM.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by conhntr View Post

Anyway here are details

Questions

Thanks
    Send me a plain text email at VaGunRights@gmail.com and I will assist you in Loudoun.

Ed
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Re: Permit renewal confusion

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Shucks...I'm in a good mood. I'm pretty sure I saw a road kill dog hunter this morning, crazydude's gonna knock on doors and Hillary has a brain clot. Now that's starting the year off right!

Aww thanks Pete! You give me too much credit though. I am far to lazy to visit some numb nut deeper in nova than I care to normally go.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by crazydude6030 View Post
    Aww thanks Pete! You give me too much credit though. I am far to lazy to visit some numb nut deeper in nova than I care to normally go.

Looks like I'm going to have sneak past the Ni river if the deal goes through for my new Deer rifle

Looks like I'm going to have sneak past the Ni river if the deal goes through for my new Deer rifle
    There's a new moon on the 11th.... cover of darkness.

Re: Permit renewal confusion

Those are some nice pillows. Do they come with the gun?

Quote Originally Posted by crazydude6030 View Post
    Those are some nice pillows. Do they come with the gun?

Those aren't pillows. they're recoil reducers.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Those aren't pillows. they're recoil reducers.

Where's your other hand?
    Between 2 pillows.

Those aren't pillows!
    AHHHH!!!!

See that Bears game last week?
    Last edited by ProShooter; 01-01-2013 at 10:06 PM.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Yep. Slay it, butcher it, in one shot with that one.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Wow, I have one similar

That's a fancy scope you got there Peter, have you used a Burris Eliminator before? I have one of those on my FN FNAR. I have been itching to try it out at the advertised 800yds but haven't found the real estate to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by half_life1052 View Post
    That's a fancy scope you got there Peter, have you used a Burris Eliminator before? I have one of those on my FN FNAR. I have been itching to try it out at the advertised 800yds but haven't found the real estate to do it.
    It's not mine yet. We have been playing push pull for two days and now I think he went out for the 1st. I'm ready to pick it up now.
    I'm not looking forward to feeding that thing $3.00 a pop ammo though.
    Last edited by peter nap; 01-01-2013 at 10:52 PM.