• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is Oak Harbor going to follow Seattle into lawsuit club?

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I have visited this shop. A lot of high end rifles and a very relaxed atmosphere. Sweet Baboo and I did not see any machine guns (I always look).

skeith5

I sent an e-mail to Chief Green and he has proposed we talk about the issues face to face instead of going back and forth via e-mail...

Since most of you don't know me I prefer to take a diplomatic approach to meet our end goal. I don't believe baiting police with videos does anything for the cause. The e-mail I sent was firm yet diplomatic. I understand that there are a few on this board who have an us vs. them mentality but I don't. I have friends who are LEO's and I believe that the vast majority of them are "good" officers.

That being said... any opinions? He's only about an hour away from me. I work in Seattle and I'm sure he keeps 9-5 type hours.

Scott

deanf

That being said... any opinions?

My opinion is that someone from the Oak Harbor area should be taking the lead and making appointments with the Chief, not some out-of-town gadfly. A local person would have more credibility.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
NavyLCDR I am sure you are going armed with all the normal references on how their ordinance is repealed from the get go but a reminder about On September 8, 2009, United States District Court for New Mexico, Judge Bruce D. Black entered a summary judgment in a civil case against six police officers of Alamogordo NM.

Hopefully someone from the city will be there in protest as this is a problem of you being able to talk or not or have standing in their city council meeting, never the less it needs to be said.

skeith5

My opinion is that someone from the Oak Harbor area should be taking the lead and making appointments with the Chief, not some out-of-town gadfly. A local person would have more credibility.[/COLOR]

Nice opinion. I grew up on the island and the appointment is already made.

5918mike

I sent an e-mail to Chief Green and he has proposed we talk about the issues face to face instead of going back and forth via e-mail...

I received the same response. Since the article didn't have any direct quotes and I am really not concerned with the rifle scenario presented I asked him directly what the police response would be to an individual open carrying a pistol in a holster going about their business. I believe he could formulate a concise response to address that issue. I further believe he doesn't want to go on record with a response and knows that most people outside of the city as I am will not follow up with a meeting.

Last edited:

skeith5

I received the same response. Since the article didn't have any direct quotes and I am really not concerned with the rifle scenario presented I asked him directly what the police response would be to an individual open carrying a pistol in a holster going about their business. I believe he could formulate a concise response to address that issue. I further believe he doesn't want to go on record with a response and knows that most people outside of the city as I am will not follow up with a meeting.

I will post after I meet with him on Friday. I spoke with him for a few moments over the phone. He was very pleasant and I've been looking for an excuse to make it over to Oak Harbor. I will make sure he knows that I'm meeting him as a private citizen and that I'm not there to represent OCDO or any other organization.

Scott

Alpine

I will post after I meet with him on Friday. I spoke with him for a few moments over the phone. He was very pleasant and I've been looking for an excuse to make it over to Oak Harbor. I will make sure he knows that I'm meeting him as a private citizen and that I'm not there to represent OCDO or any other organization.

Scott

If you can print off some of the pieces from here and other sources about how different municipalities like Bellingham and Seattle and Lakewood have been forced to settle, often with cash, for the actions of LEOs drawing down on OCers, which is what he said his current standing orders are.

skeith5

If you can print off some of the pieces from here and other sources about how different municipalities like Bellingham and Seattle and Lakewood have been forced to settle, often with cash, for the actions of LEOs drawing down on OCers, which is what he said his current standing orders are.

Good idea. I was planning on taking one of the Washington State Gun Rights Pamphlets as well as some of the training memos that other departments have used. I did send him links to news articles on the lawsuits other cities have had, but will take some more.

Scott

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Good idea. I was planning on taking one of the Washington State Gun Rights Pamphlets as well as some of the training memos that other departments have used. I did send him links to news articles on the lawsuits other cities have had, but will take some more.

Scott

Are you also taking a copy of RCW 9.41.290 and State Attorney General Opinion No. 8 2008

3 minutes is not long to talk but, Remember you can submit copies for the record as well.

wolf-father

I think he meant to write that the guy that spoke for keeping the gun ban in effect against state law was taking advantage of the new marijuana law.

Chief of Police said and did nothing about our guns.

Yes that is what I was trying to say I was trying to get creative. I guess some should not try to be creative sorry about that.

Difdi

I didn't think his answer was well thought out but in his defense I think he may have thought the question dealt with someone was carrying a rifle in the park.

And ironically, rifles are less regulated by state law than handguns are. Arguably rifles are MORE legal than a handgun...

I have visited this shop. A lot of high end rifles and a very relaxed atmosphere. Sweet Baboo and I did not see any machine guns (I always look).

You just don't have the right eyes (or mindset). After all, to some members of the Brady Bunch, this is an accurate depiction of reality:

journalist_guns_2.jpg

Last edited:

Alpine

Nice job at the meeting fellows. You were very courteous and respectful. If they still don't get it after this I'd go to the next one with a summary of settlements and lawsuit judgments against cities and PD's showing the results of their actions and ask them if they want to be remembered as the Cy Sun of Whidbey.