• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is there any push for this in WI?

anmut

Seems like we need to get a law like this on the books in WI. Not only would it protect us from the feds - it would give local people a reason to start building and selling their own arms in WI. Might even create a job or two. :)

http://www.guns.com/2012/12/28/sout...es-bill-to-exempt-state-from-federal-gun-ban/

South Carolina Sen. Lee Bright (R-Spartanburg) has reintroduced a bill that would exempt any firearm, accessory or ammunition manufactured and kept within the borders of the Palmetto State from federal regulations.

Invoking states rights under the 9th and 10th Amendments to the U.S. Constitution, Bright’s legislation – known as the ‘South Carolina Firearms Freedom Act’ – states: “A personal firearm, a firearm accessory, or ammunition that is manufactured commercially or privately in South Carolina and that remains within the borders of South Carolina is not subject to federal law or federal regulation, including registration, under the authority of Congress to regulate interstate commerce.”

Old Grump

More laws on the hundreds of thousands of laws on the books already is not a good idea. Rescind the bad laws and contest the rest of them. It is our duty as free citizens to contest ill conceived laws put forth by politicians who have no regard for the constitution and are only pandering to their liberal constituents.

Snake161

More laws on the hundreds of thousands of laws on the books already is not a good idea. Rescind the bad laws and contest the rest of them. It is our duty as free citizens to contest ill conceived laws put forth by politicians who have no regard for the constitution and are only pandering to their liberal constituents.

Right on sir, this is what I advocate %100. We sit and worry about calling politicians to save ourselves from more laws, but we should be attacking the laws that are already on the books with more fervor then ever. There are just WAY too many laws as is....for everything, not just firearms! And yes, we should just deny to follow any implementation of further firearms laws from the federal government. How much would it take to put down a bet that congress votes to pass some sort of new gun control? All the politicians are worried about is the next election cycle, smiling through their teeth and promising away until the sun goes down. When in office, they have no obligation to listen to us because it seems the last 100 years or so, we just stay quiet and let them do as they please. Doesn't seem like a very efficient way to have "we the people" run the country...but then again, there are now so many stupid and low information voters out there, it's hard for the intelligent voter to have a say anymore. Right where they want us.

Snake161~

anmut

I'm sorry, but did either of you read what I posted? This is a law that says firearms and magazines manufactured and kept in WI are not subject to any Federal gun ban laws. Tell me how that's a bad thing please? It would be WI flipping the bird to Obama and any AWB/Mag Cap Ban.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I'm sorry, but did either of you read what I posted? This is a law that says firearms and magazines manufactured and kept in WI are not subject to any Federal gun ban laws. Tell me how that's a bad thing please? It would be WI flipping the bird to Obama and any AWB/Mag Cap Ban.

A WI law saying they are exempt from a Federal law does not make it so.

It's a good sign, though! The more states that start flipping the bird the better.

There are already states that have passed similar legislation, but no one is building machine guns yet. BATF is paying attention.

The commerce clause already tells the Federal government to butt out. If they aren't going to listen to the US Constitution, what do you think your state legislature can do about it?

But as mentioned, it's good to see another state officially putting them on notice.

anmut

A WI law saying they are exempt from a Federal law does not make it so.

It's a good sign, though! The more states that start flipping the bird the better.

There are already states that have passed similar legislation, but no one is building machine guns yet. BATF is paying attention.

The commerce clause already tells the Federal government to butt out. If they aren't going to listen to the US Constitution, what do you think your state legislature can do about it?

But as mentioned, it's good to see another state officially putting them on notice.

It means that even if DiFi gets her way, with a law like that as long as the scary black guns and scary standard capacity mags were built and used in WI we could still buy sell and trade them without worry.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
It means that even if DiFi gets her way, with a law like that as long as the scary black guns and scary standard capacity mags were built and used in WI we could still buy sell and trade them without worry.

No, it doesn't!

It HELPS, yes, but probably less than you are hoping for.

You do know that people in CA are still being arrested by the DEA and going to federal prison for privately smoking marijuana with the state's permission, right?

It will be the same with the BATF for people in Montana and other states that have these in-state firearms laws that will NOT impede federal agents. And even local police are authorized to arrest for federal crimes, even if their state doesn't also recognize it as a crime.

anmut

No, it doesn't!

It HELPS, yes, but probably less than you are hoping for.

You do know that people in CA are still being arrested by the DEA and going to federal prison for privately smoking marijuana with the state's permission, right?

It will be the same with the BATF for people in Montana and other states that have these in-state firearms laws that will NOT impede federal agents. And even local police are authorized to arrest for federal crimes, even if their state doesn't also recognize it as a crime.

I understand that - however it's better than just throwing up your hands and saying "I give up!"

Law abider

Seems like we need to get a law like this on the books in WI. Not only would it protect us from the feds - it would give local people a reason to start building and selling their own arms in WI. Might even create a job or two. :)

http://www.guns.com/2012/12/28/sout...es-bill-to-exempt-state-from-federal-gun-ban/

South Carolina Sen. Lee Bright (R-Spartanburg) has reintroduced a bill that would exempt any firearm, accessory or ammunition manufactured and kept within the borders of the Palmetto State from federal regulations.

Invoking states rights under the 9th and 10th Amendments to the U.S. Constitution, Bright’s legislation – known as the ‘South Carolina Firearms Freedom Act’ – states: “A personal firearm, a firearm accessory, or ammunition that is manufactured commercially or privately in South Carolina and that remains within the borders of South Carolina is not subject to federal law or federal regulation, including registration, under the authority of Congress to regulate interstate commerce.”

I have already sent this type of question to Glenn Grothman. Waiting for his response. By the way buddy, you are infringing on my patent of " is this XXXX for Wisconsin?" That will be $10,000.

Last edited:

Old Grump

Post was read and understood but my point is we already have to many laws and another just muddies the waters. The need is to rescind all gun restricting laws passed by any jurisdiction in the last 237 years. No gun law is a good law because every law to be effective has to take something from somebody. Our lawmakers write very few clean laws and a high profile controversial law like your proposal will attract enough riders and amendments as to make it fail it's intended purpose. You have the right idea but it is attacking the wrong target.

Dos centavos from a dinosaur

anmut

Post was read and understood but my point is we already have to many laws and another just muddies the waters. The need is to rescind all gun restricting laws passed by any jurisdiction in the last 237 years. No gun law is a good law because every law to be effective has to take something from somebody. Our lawmakers write very few clean laws and a high profile controversial law like your proposal will attract enough riders and amendments as to make it fail it's intended purpose. You have the right idea but it is attacking the wrong target.

Dos centavos from a dinosaur

It is not a law that infringes on anything but the federal government. It's a damn good idea.

Old Grump

It is not a law that infringes on anything but the federal government. It's a damn good idea.

Federal government has one huge stick and each state has a little stick. It will not work till all the states are united and agree together. When the senators were no longer appointed by governors or the state legislators they became independent and now think they are bigger than the states people who elected them. They have assumed powers never meant for them to have. Until the Democrats and Republicans are swept out of office in huge numbers and rep[laced by independents who adhere to the constitution any small effort made at the state level will only make tiny ripples and cause repercussions from a bloated Washington Bureaucracy. There are no good gun regulations except those relating to quality and safety issues of manufacture. Those relating to citizens acquiring. owning and possessing firearms should be rescinded at all levels.

tomm1963

The tactic of using states rights to trump the Fed is not new. I am quite sure a Western state recently in the past few years passed a law that allows for the ownership of class 3 items if they are manufactured in that state. It really isn't creating new law but rather telling the Fed that the Commerce Clause doesn't apply here as the "Federally Regulated" item never crossed state lines, therefore it is legal for that states residents to own. I remember hearing when it passed and thought nice idea. Who wants to be the test case to see if you can beat a Federal rap though. I am searching to find which state this is and will post if I do.

tomm1963

Found it

Wyoming

http://www.libertarianpunk.com/2010/03/wyoming-governor-signs-firearm-freedom-act-into-law/

From the Star Tribune

CHEYENNE — With some trepidation, Governor Dave Freudenthal on Thursday signed into law a bill asserting that Wyoming-made firearms are exempt from all federal laws and regulations.

The legislation, which takes effect in July, is meant as a shot across the bow of the federal government. But it’s unclear whether the new law will remain a symbolic declaration of states’ and Second Amendment rights, or spark a real-life confrontation between state and federal officials.

Under the law, any firearms made from scratch in Wyoming — besides automatic weapons and rocket-propelled grenade launchers — are officially exempt from all federal gun laws so long as the gun isn’t taken out of the state.
That means no three-day waiting period to buy a Wyoming-made gun, no Federal Firearms License needed, no federal taxes to pay…..

Wyoming is the third state to pass a Firearms Freedom Act, after Montana and Tennessee. The laws are all based on the argument that since the federal government justifies its ability to regulate firearms on a section of the U.S. Constitution allowing Congress to regulate interstate commerce, any guns that never leave a state are exempt from federal control.

But Wyoming’s Firearms Freedom Act is harsher than the other states’ laws, as it says that any state or federal official who tries to enforce any federal gun law on firearms made and sold in Wyoming could face a $2,000 fine and up to a year in prison.

Old Grump

This only works if a super majority of the states follows suit with similar legislation. The Federal government has to learn that they are not the dog, we are and they are our servants not the other way round.

anmut

This only works if a super majority of the states follows suit with similar legislation. The Federal government has to learn that they are not the dog, we are and they are our servants not the other way round.

And you are basically saying that instead of doing *something* you would rather stomp your feet and complain that we aren't getting *everything*.

Old Grump

And you are basically saying that instead of doing *something* you would rather stomp your feet and complain that we aren't getting *everything*.

Say what? When and where have you ever seen me write we shouldn't do something. I am only pointing out we all need to be in pon it and somebody has to lead, so far it has been states like Wyoming, Montana, Texas et al. and states like us who are bringing up the rear. We have a lot of people still not on board and they are our challenge. If we can't get the fair weather supporter on board our stick is small soggy and limp.