Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 101

Thread: Pre-Lobby Day 7AM Breakfast, CARPOOL, and VCDL Lobby Day - 9AM, Jan 21, 2013 -

  1. #1
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Pre-Lobby Day 7AM Breakfast, CARPOOL, and VCDL Lobby Day - 9AM, Jan 21, 2013 -

    Facebook event link: https://www.facebook.com/events/212177935538984

    Breakfast - 7AM
    River City Diner
    Parham and I-95
    803 East Parham Road
    804.266.1500

    VCDL Lobby Day - 9AM
    Virginia General Assembly Building
    Richmond, VA

    Agenda and VCDL 2012 Legislation Tracking Tool coming soon..
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  2. #2
    Regular Member GreatDaneMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chesapeake, Va
    Posts
    213
    Ill be there. Heading up Sunday to get a good days relaxation. Staying at a hotel.

    Carpoolees are welcome, and no charge to bunk at the hotel. I just ask for gas contribution.

    Max capacity of 3 Passengers if I take Jetta... 5 last time was uncomfortable for all parties plus it was way too early picking everyone up..
    May take burb if I get all the kinks worked out by then.

    I know a carpool thread will be coming but figured id put this out there. Coming from Chesapeake, Va up 64, maybe 460 if im needed for a ride.


    Edit- Should I start a carpool thread?
    Last edited by GreatDaneMan; 01-01-2013 at 10:19 PM.
    Mud Blood and Oil with a great dane along for the ride!

  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatDaneMan View Post
    Edit- Should I start a carpool thread?
    I imagine this thread could also suffice as the carpool request thread.
    People can advertise if they have space and where they are coming from and or if they need a ride.
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  4. #4
    Regular Member ocholsteroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Virginia, Hampton Roads, NC 9 miles away
    Posts
    1,317
    UHGGGGG MONDAY. What time does this end? I know lobby day starts 9pm what is ending time, thanks. :+)
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 01-02-2013 at 02:10 AM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

  5. #5
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    UHGGGGG MONDAY. What time does this end? I know lobby day starts 9pm what is ending time, thanks. :+)
    Usually, you join a group that goes to see all the legislators. That takes an hour or two, then some time to go see whoever you want on your own, then speeches at the Bell Tower.

    When I checked permits last, I didn't see VCDL reservations at the tower so they may have something else planned.

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Re: Pre-Lobby Day 7AM Breakfast and VCDL Lobby Day - 9AM, Jan 21, 2012 -

    No bell tower talks this year.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  7. #7
    Regular Member ocholsteroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Virginia, Hampton Roads, NC 9 miles away
    Posts
    1,317
    This will be over by 1 or 2 then? I have something to do that night and need to get back. Thanks
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

  8. #8
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    This will be over by 1 or 2 then? I have something to do that night and need to get back. Thanks
    Over is a relative thing. Many go out to lunch after the initial morning lobby, some go back to work or whatever, some mill around waiting for the Bell Tower event which according to Ed, there are no speeches this year.

    The important thing is to see the halls lined with GSL stickers in the morning.

    So to answer your question, you can attend, participate and be home in time to do other things.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Uber_Olafsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    585

    Pre-Lobby Day 7AM Breakfast and VCDL Lobby Day - 9AM, Jan 21, 2012 -

    Can't wait to go to this lobby day. Was out of town last year so couldn't make it but already got the day off from work.

  10. #10
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatDaneMan View Post
    Ill be there. Heading up Sunday to get a good days relaxation. Staying at a hotel.

    Carpoolees are welcome, and no charge to bunk at the hotel. I just ask for gas contribution.

    Max capacity of 3 Passengers if I take Jetta... 5 last time was uncomfortable for all parties plus it was way too early picking everyone up..
    May take burb if I get all the kinks worked out by then.

    I know a carpool thread will be coming but figured id put this out there. Coming from Chesapeake, Va up 64, maybe 460 if im needed for a ride.


    Edit- Should I start a carpool thread?

    We'll be headed down Sunday as well. We generally stay at the Sleep Inn a scant mile or so past the RCD on Parham Rd. (Last year stayed in the hotel behind RCD- won't make that mistake again.) Then all we have to do is park when we get to 9th & Broad.

    Nothing at all at the Bell Tower this year, from what I understand. Group visits with legislators would, I imagine, be done by noon. I'd encourage individuals to meet with their own legislators one-on-one if possible afterward. (Last year we did so, and our anti-gun delegate's desire to have constituent photos on his web page overrode his distaste for our cause -- so he has photos of us with our GSL buttons and stickers, and sidearms, on his web page!)

  11. #11
    Regular Member hgreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Centreville, VA
    Posts
    470
    I've got 3 spacious seats available leaving from Centreville the morning of the event, returning after its conclusion with possible meal stop on the way home.

  12. #12
    Regular Member ryan7068's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    185

    LOBBY DAY: Car Pool?!

    Hello all,

    Lobby day is fast approaching and I have been hopeful of attending for my first time. In any case, I am a lowly college student with concerns that my vehicle may or may not make the trip from the Hampton Roads area. If anyone nearby would be willing to share a seat in their car, I would be greatly appreciative. I live near the Greenbrier exit in Chesapeake and can drive to your residence or meet somewhere and leave my vehicle for the day. I am certainly also willing to share any expenses such as fuel cost. I would also be willing to go early to attend the 7am breakfast.

    I also figure this thread would be good for any other persons with similar concerns or just the desire for some comradery for the day.

    Thanks all
    "Yes, I am carrying a loaded firearm. Why aren't you? "

  13. #13
    Regular Member GreatDaneMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chesapeake, Va
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan7068 View Post
    Hello all,

    Lobby day is fast approaching and I have been hopeful of attending for my first time. In any case, I am a lowly college student with concerns that my vehicle may or may not make the trip from the Hampton Roads area. If anyone nearby would be willing to share a seat in their car, I would be greatly appreciative. I live near the Greenbrier exit in Chesapeake and can drive to your residence or meet somewhere and leave my vehicle for the day. I am certainly also willing to share any expenses such as fuel cost. I would also be willing to go early to attend the 7am breakfast.

    I also figure this thread would be good for any other persons with similar concerns or just the desire for some comradery for the day.

    Thanks all

    Leaving sunday from Deep Creek... Welcome to tag along. Chip in some gas. Free bunk at the hotel...Aloft or Sheraton not sure yet.

    PM me, also tell me about your hoopD, i fix cars.
    Mud Blood and Oil with a great dane along for the ride!

  14. #14
    Regular Member Esanders2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatDaneMan View Post
    Leaving sunday from Deep Creek... Welcome to tag along. Chip in some gas. Free bunk at the hotel...Aloft or Sheraton not sure yet.

    PM me, also tell me about your hoopD, i fix cars.
    Ok so what exactly is lobby day? Also, I live in VA beach and may / may not attend, depending on class schedules and what lobby day is, exactly.
    ...To make my bullets go faster!

  15. #15
    Regular Member GreatDaneMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chesapeake, Va
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by Esanders2008 View Post
    Ok so what exactly is lobby day? Also, I live in VA beach and may / may not attend, depending on class schedules and what lobby day is, exactly.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobby_day

    Short little page about it. In our case....Firearm related laws for the most part.
    Mud Blood and Oil with a great dane along for the ride!

  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatDaneMan View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobby_day

    Short little page about it. In our case....Firearm related laws for the most part.
    And here I was thinking Virginia's Lobby Day had a Wiki page. (And if it did, was there a mention of GSL stickers and/or "Banjo" Saslaw?)

    What was it - 3 years ago? - when the folks there about the payday loan interest rate joined up with us because they liked our "cause" even better?

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  17. #17
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Quote Originally Posted by Esanders2008 View Post
    Ok so what exactly is lobby day? Also, I live in VA beach and may / may not attend, depending on class schedules and what lobby day is, exactly.
    Lobby Day is the annual pilgrimage to Richmond and the General Assembly - it is VCDL's chance to strut our stuff and flex our muscles. VCDL is by far the most effective entity in the Commonwealth of Virginia in the promotion of and defense of your right to self-defense/RKBA.

    The strength of VCDL comes from the numbers and diversity - join, be there, be part of history, be pro-active, be part of the solution.

    January 21, 2013.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  18. #18
    Regular Member riverrat10k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    on a rock in the james river
    Posts
    1,453
    I remember, I think, two or three years ago, when the disabled persons lobby had orange stickers similar to the GSL stickers.

    Weird.

    I am on call for work on Mondays. I think this year, I will roll the dice and not take a Vaca day. Will make breakfast, but may have to leave early, late, or blow off completely based on work. So can't help with rides.
    Last edited by riverrat10k; 01-04-2013 at 08:37 PM.
    Remember Peter Nap and Skidmark. Do them proud. Be active. Be well informed. ALL rights matter.

    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when you may have to back up your acts with your life."

    --Robert A. Heinlein

    Hey NSA! *&$# you. Record this--- MOLON LABE!

  19. #19
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat10k View Post
    I remember, I think, two or three years ago, when the disabled persons lobby had orange stickers similar to the GSL stickers.

    Weird.

    I am on call for work on Mondays. I think this year, I will roll the dice and not take a Vaca day. Will make breakfast, but may have to leave early, late, or blow off completely based on work. So can't help with rides.

    That group chooses a different color each year (much as VCDL does with its quick-reference cards) with no worries about what anyone else is doing. They've had their logo on orange, blue, and yellow the past three years (I follow their efforts for my son). Their orange was different, but it helped us, I think. And none of the people from their group with whom I spoke was the least bit upset about appearing to swell our numbers.

  20. #20
    Regular Member Old Virginia Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SE Va., , Occupied CSA
    Posts
    366
    I'm wondering if any of you keep figures on how many of our VCDL or OCDO or NRA or GOA or etc. 2A allies have actually shown up over the recent years for Lobby Day? I have been several times now, and it would be gratifying to me to know that I was one of "X" number of Virginia patriots who cared enough about my freedoms to take a day off and the gas and the time to make the effort to defend those rights. Would be interesting also to see if we are increasing each year, in our participation, or simply holding steady or even falling off over time. Good management principles would require we monitor our participation rate if at all possible.
    VCDL, Army Vet, Virginia Native

    Hey, Libtards, it's the "Bill of Rights," not the "Bill of Needs" . . . . .

    If the 2A does not apply to modern weapons, then the 1A does not apply to modern communications like the Internet! How do you like them apples!?

  21. #21
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Virginia Joe View Post
    I'm wondering if any of you keep figures on how many of our VCDL or OCDO or NRA or GOA or etc. 2A allies have actually shown up over the recent years for Lobby Day? I have been several times now, and it would be gratifying to me to know that I was one of "X" number of Virginia patriots who cared enough about my freedoms to take a day off and the gas and the time to make the effort to defend those rights. Would be interesting also to see if we are increasing each year, in our participation, or simply holding steady or even falling off over time. Good management principles would require we monitor our participation rate if at all possible.
    That's hard to do Joe. There isn't any check in and people drift in and out all day. I think VCDL counts GSL stickers but a lot of them are given to non participants. I have wide angle pictures of the speeches at the tower but again, how many are really participants.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Powhatan, Va
    Posts
    204
    I'm working out when I'm going to get there. I have a lot of work to do talking to my representatives. I will have to go to work in the afternoon. So I can't give a ride to anyone. But I need to be at the breakfast to get warmed up.

  23. #23
    Regular Member ryan7068's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat10k View Post
    I remember, I think, two or three years ago, when the disabled persons lobby had orange stickers similar to the GSL stickers.

    Weird.

    I am on call for work on Mondays. I think this year, I will roll the dice and not take a Vaca day. Will make breakfast, but may have to leave early, late, or blow off completely based on work. So can't help with rides.
    We should arm these people and then we can call them the "enabled persons lobby!"
    "Yes, I am carrying a loaded firearm. Why aren't you? "

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Suffolk Virginia
    Posts
    699

    Re: Pre-Lobby Day 7AM Breakfast, CARPOOL, and VCDL Lobby Day - 9AM, Jan 21, 2013 -

    Are there any restrictions law wise? Just not familiar with locals in Richmond.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by mpguy; 01-07-2013 at 12:36 PM.

  25. #25
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by mpguy View Post
    Are there any restrictions law wise? Just not familiar with locals in Richmond.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    For the breakfast, no... except no mags over 20, threaded muzzles. etc in Henrico unless you have a CHP. That gets ignored mostly... same for Richmond.

    For the General Assembly, OC/CC Is fine as long as you have a permit, otherwise you have to stay outside.
    Last edited by peter nap; 01-07-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •