• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pre-Lobby Day 7AM Breakfast, CARPOOL, and VCDL Lobby Day - 9AM, Jan 21, 2013 -

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'm wondering if any of you keep figures on how many of our VCDL or OCDO or NRA or GOA or etc. 2A allies have actually shown up over the recent years for Lobby Day? I have been several times now, and it would be gratifying to me to know that I was one of "X" number of Virginia patriots who cared enough about my freedoms to take a day off and the gas and the time to make the effort to defend those rights. Would be interesting also to see if we are increasing each year, in our participation, or simply holding steady or even falling off over time. Good management principles would require we monitor our participation rate if at all possible.

That's hard to do Joe. There isn't any check in and people drift in and out all day. I think VCDL counts GSL stickers but a lot of them are given to non participants. I have wide angle pictures of the speeches at the tower but again, how many are really participants.

Bowesmobile

I'm working out when I'm going to get there. I have a lot of work to do talking to my representatives. I will have to go to work in the afternoon. So I can't give a ride to anyone. But I need to be at the breakfast to get warmed up.

ryan7068

I remember, I think, two or three years ago, when the disabled persons lobby had orange stickers similar to the GSL stickers.

Weird.

I am on call for work on Mondays. I think this year, I will roll the dice and not take a Vaca day. Will make breakfast, but may have to leave early, late, or blow off completely based on work. So can't help with rides.

We should arm these people and then we can call them the "enabled persons lobby!"

mpguy

Are there any restrictions law wise? Just not familiar with locals in Richmond. :p

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Are there any restrictions law wise? Just not familiar with locals in Richmond. :p

For the breakfast, no... except no mags over 20, threaded muzzles. etc in Henrico unless you have a CHP. That gets ignored mostly... same for Richmond.

For the General Assembly, OC/CC Is fine as long as you have a permit, otherwise you have to stay outside.

Last edited:

mpguy

For the breakfast, no... except no mags over 20, threaded muzzles. etc in Henrico unless you have a CHP. That gets ignored mostly... same for Richmond.

For the General Assembly, OC/CC Is fine as long as you have a permit, otherwise you have to stay outside.

I have a permit if you mean chp. Only 11 max for my gun, so that's a check. For right now I have the green light. Will see if I can get a hold of Old Virginia Joe and we carpool or something.

Joe if you see this post before I can call/email you, have a back up plan, in case something happens.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
19315_485325974850824_90360616_n.jpg

Tess

Founder's Club Member
IMPORTANT info for those planning to use the CHP entrance ...

If you plan to use the CHP entrance, you may have NO BAGS with you. No purse. No briefcase. No backpack. Only what's in your pockets or on your body.

Which means many women will have to use the main entrance.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
If you plan to use the CHP entrance, you may have NO BAGS with you. No purse. No briefcase. No backpack. Only what's in your pockets or on your body.

Which means many women will have to use the main entrance.

It's also best not to carry a BUG in your pocket. Some of the CP's aren't very bright....actually, most of them.
Grapeshot had one nearly fire his when they started feeling him up and checking the trigger.:uhoh::uhoh:

Steeler-gal

My car is full but if anyone is driving down from the Springfield/Lorton/Woodbridge area we could meet up and caravan down the highway together.

45acpForMe

Is there a specific parking garage recommended to use?

I hate driving downtown and getting lost, turned-around and fighting one way streets. So I was hoping to have a set location to park and plan my route and exit. :)

Also how far is breakfast from the team forming area? Is it within walking distance (assuming it is safe to walk)? I will be armed :)

One other question since this would be the first year I can attend is whether there are any VCU restricted non-OC areas nearby I should be aware not to wander into?

scouser

(snip)
Also how far is breakfast from the team forming area? Is it within walking distance (assuming it is safe to walk)? I will be armed :)

As no one has answered any of your questions yet, I'll answer the ones I quoted.

How far from the breakfast to the team forming area, at a rough guess it's about 8 - 10 miles. Is it walking distance, well although many people are physically capable of walking that distance, you wouldn't have enough time to meet for breakfast and then attend Lobby Day, not to mention the necessity of walking through certain areas you wouldn't want to walk through.

Perhaps some minor car pools could be arranged at breakfast so some vehicles might be left at the Lowes / Walmart parking lot behind RCD.

45acpForMe

Pay parking lots and decks are nearby on 8th and Grace Street and 7th and Marshall Streets.

Ok thanks scouser and ed. Do you know if the pay parking decks are exact change or not? I guess I can make sure I have a bunch of ones on me. :)

If the breakfast is that far away I will probably skip it.

kenny

Ok thanks scouser and ed. Do you know if the pay parking decks are exact change or not? I guess I can make sure I have a bunch of ones on me. :)

If the breakfast is that far away I will probably skip it.

There is a deck at 7th & E. Grace Sts. that I use weekly. It is unattended, however the machine that collects the money takes cash and cards. If you use that lot I highly recommend purchasing the all day rate to keep you from having to run back and forth to your vehicle. With that said I feel confident if you arrive early you will find plenty of free space on the streets. What ever you decide to do it never hurts to have some cash even if for those people who may need a few dollars to get back home.

Old Virginia Joe

Parking

Seems like I remember, that because it is a "holiday" and state government is "off," the on-street parking meters are free that day, so unless you insist on using a garage, you could park for free. Maybe garages are free that day, too, I'm not sure. IOW, parking should be easy that day anyway you go.

Also, I know sometimes local Tea Party groups send busses to Lobby Day, and they like us gun group types, and are happy to let you buy a ride on their bus, no parking needed. Check that out, too.

pyite

I was hoping to at least attend the speeches with my 6 year old. I am not sure she would appreciate loitering in the GA building for hours. Unfortunately, I hear there are no speeches this year.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Seems like I remember, that because it is a "holiday" and state government is "off," the on-street parking meters are free that day, so unless you insist on using a garage, you could park for free. Maybe garages are free that day, too, I'm not sure. IOW, parking should be easy that day anyway you go.

Also, I know sometimes local Tea Party groups send busses to Lobby Day, and they like us gun group types, and are happy to let you buy a ride on their bus, no parking needed. Check that out, too.

I was hoping to at least attend the speeches with my 6 year old. I am not sure she would appreciate loitering in the GA building for hours. Unfortunately, I hear there are no speeches this year.

Parking garages are never free in Richmond.

Six year olds enjoy the sights and sounds (hustle bustle), view from the observation deck, and collecting the stickers - she may wear you out. :)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Parking garages are never free in Richmond.

Six year olds enjoy the sights and sounds (hustle bustle), view from the observation deck, and collecting the stickers - she may wear you out. :)

There really is a lot to see other than stuffy politicians. There is also the Capitol, State Library, Museums.... lots of things!