• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If you have not called and emailed your reps you are wrong!!!

zack991

I spoke with several of my reps this past week and most I talked to were 15min plus conversations. The issue they are seeing from gun owners who are opposed to a ban on weapons and magazines are using those cookie cutter emails that get spammed to their inboxes. Some reps won't even read them I was informed if they are the mass copy emails. My reps all said if a person who sends their own email gos further than those mass copy letters. Make your letters straight to the point, they like detailed letters that have source links to them they can forward to other members. Long letters they don't mind just not novels, my rep has said it will help them to get a idea of what is supported and what is opposed and not generic letters. I was told when in dought write it in stupid for some members who use the excuse that he or she was not informed in detail what he constituents support or don't.

Last edited:

Jeff. State

Banned
I'm not going to bother. We have COUNTLESS examples in just the last 4-5 years that "contacting our Reps." has no significance.

You think John Boehner cares what you have to say? That is what it comes down to, LEADERSHIP.

They will do what ever has ALREADY been determined behind closed doors, by people NO ONE elected.

davidmcbeth

Banned
You can visit their homes ... if you are not happy with a response or lack of a response...

I have done this with state reps, US reps and senators.

Never once did I have one complain about a personal visit.

The worse they can do is tell you to leave.

zack991

I've written them in my own words.

As did I. My reps just pushed the fact that the cookie cut letters don't work. Push hard on everyone that mainly only care about getting reelected that especially the flip flippers need to be getting these emailed even more. I was tol to keep them coming over and over again. That one email or phone call is not enough. Those who flip flop need to be reminded the most and it will come down to the one vote yea or na that will screw us or save us.

Last edited:

zack991

Feb. 8th make sure you're with thousands of others, armed at your State Capital. That picture is what gets through to politicians better than any phone call or email.

Peaceful demonstration at every state capital for our 2nd amendment rights
Public

http://www.facebook.com/events/406312512782872/?ref=notif&notif_t=plan_user_joined

Is there a way on there for like minded people from each state to go together as a group, some people can not afford to drive several hours on their own. I just thinking you would get a lot more people to go especially those driving 3-5 hours away. I will post for Ohio on buckeyefirearms.org and see what I can do to set up car pooling so more people can go.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Is there a way on there for like minded people from each state to go together as a group, some people can not afford to drive several hours on their own. I just thinking you would get a lot more people to go especially those driving 3-5 hours away. I will post for Ohio on buckeyefirearms.org and see what I can do to set up car pooling so more people can go.

Be wary of government agents ! Really.

MainelyGlock

I don't think I'm wrong for not contacting my Representatives, I think I'm smart for not having wasted my time. It's been made very clear to me that our Congressmen do NOT work for us as they should and do NOT listen to us as they are elected to do. Despite the number of emails, letters, phone calls, and house visits you make, they'll still vote however they want to.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I don't think I'm wrong for not contacting my Representatives, I think I'm smart for not having wasted my time. It's been made very clear to me that our Congressmen do NOT work for us as they should and do NOT listen to us as they are elected to do. Despite the number of emails, letters, phone calls, and house visits you make, they'll still vote however they want to.

Up to you if you feel this way .. a visit to their house has lead to the best results for me ...but I'm on pretty good terms with my legislators ... they'll listen .. sometimes I can sway them, sometimes not.

Vader33

Feb. 8th make sure you're with thousands of others, armed at your State Capital. That picture is what gets through to politicians better than any phone call or email.

Peaceful demonstration at every state capital for our 2nd amendment rights
Public

http://www.facebook.com/events/406312512782872/?ref=notif&notif_t=plan_user_joined

That might not work too well where I live, as the City and County of Denver prohibit OC. CC is ok, but I'm not going through the hassle. Besides, I doubt there'll be any real turnout. I'll just stick to constantly bombarding my US Senators inboxes.

MainelyGlock

Up to you if you feel this way .. a visit to their house has lead to the best results for me ...but I'm on pretty good terms with my legislators ... they'll listen .. sometimes I can sway them, sometimes not.

That's good. I would seriously love to be proven wrong on this. I'm on good terms with mine as well (Snowe, Collins, and Michaud are longtime friends of my father). Do you mean you've been able to sway them enough so they vote or think differently on something?

Jeff. State

Banned
That might not work too well where I live, as the City and County of Denver prohibit OC. CC is ok, but I'm not going through the hassle. Besides, I doubt there'll be any real turnout. I'll just stick to constantly bombarding my US Senators inboxes.

And they will constantly ignore you.

Denver prohibits OC, sounds like Infringement of the right to keep and bear arms. Lot's of States have this problem, mine partially as well. If thousands defy an ANTI Constitutional "law" they wont enforce it. Colorado I'm sure has 10s of thousands of gun enthusiasts/hunters/etc. NOW is the time they need to come together and say NO MORE. The Infringements need to start being rolled back not advanced. Infringement of peoples rights in CT. could have been a contributing factor to the massacre.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I still figure writing a letter and following up on it is better than doing nothing. I have received good responses to things I have written in the past.

Matt2908

Got this back from Howard Coble

Dear Mr.
Thank you for contacting our office regarding legislation that would ban assault rifles, specifically the AR-15. We appreciate hearing from you.

Gun control issues can be very emotional, and while I recognize the need to ensure public safety, the Second Amendment clearly provides a constitutional right to keep and bear arms. Simply creating new gun regulations does little to curb violent crime in our country. Criminals will still have access to guns, while responsible citizens may be put in harm's way without the ability to defend themselves.

At the same time, I also believe that the right to bear arms must be exercised responsibly. Congress can do its part by carefully monitoring crime and updating our criminal laws where change is deemed appropriate. Although these changes should be reflected in our firearm laws, they should not be used as a guise to diminish the Second Amendment.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We will be sure to keep them in mind should relevant legislation be considered during the 112th Congress. In the meantime, please feel free to contact our office if we may be of assistance in the future

jackjack

Ketucky Representative John Yarmuth Anti-Gun

One of Kentucky's representatives, John Yarmuth supports more gun control. This is the response I got back from him when requesting no further gun control. :banghead:

"Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns about additional gun control measures in the wake of the Sandy Hook Elementary School mass shooting. I appreciate hearing from you on this important matter, but respectfully disagree.

As I have stated, I agree that Americans have the right to defend themselves and their property. I believe even more fiercely that I have the right, and every child has the right, to be safe from guns without carrying a gun. That gun, by the way, is statistically far more likely to result in the injury or death of someone close to me or them, than someone bent on doing harm. Moving forward from the terrible tragedy in Newtown, CT, we must have a discussion on where we draw the line between keeping our citizens as safe as possible and pro tecting the right to bear arms. Currently, I believe that line is not drawn enough toward guaranteeing the safety of our citizens.

While we do not see eye-to-eye on this issue, I would welcome your advice and input as the debate on this topic evolves in the upcoming weeks and months. Thank you again for sharing your views. If you would like to learn more about my work in Washington and in Louisville, please visit my website at www.yarmuth.house.gov where you will find the latest news, my weekly schedule, video from hearings, and information about constituent services. You can sign up for my e-newsletter to receive periodic updates on important issues and services for your family. You can also follow me on Facebook and Twitter (@RepJohnYarmuth)."

Sincerely,
John Yarmuth
Member of Congress

Archerman99

Done!

I have written both my Senators and my State Rep. I even wrote a "lovely" little email to the "lovely" Mrs. Feinstein herself.

eye95

"...I believe even more fiercely that I have the right, and every child has the right, to be safe from guns without carrying a gun..."

Sincerely,
John Yarmuth
Member of Congress

The above is not a right. It is an unachievable and juvenile wish. One might as well believe in the tooth fairy. One of the managers at work told me that she prefers to rely on the police than to defend herself or to carry a gun to do so. They are professionals and know what they are doing with a gun. Both of you folks can live by those silly beliefs. The problem comes in when you try to force me to live by them, when you try to tell me that I have "to be safe from guns without carrying a gun."

BTW, The whole response needs to be posted in the KY subforum. Kentuckians need to use this issue to remove this man from office or to vote him out next time.

OC for ME

It is vitally important that each citizen voice their concerns to their elected representatives, even to those representatives that you did not vote for. If your elected representative is anti-liberty you must inform him that he is anti-liberty and you must provide examples to him/her that demonstrate his/her anti-liberty behaviors. The above response from KY representative John Yarmuth is evidence of his anti-liberty views that will lead to anti-liberty behaviors. Those of you in KY must inform your fellow citizens of John Yarmuth's views and that those views will lead to anti-liberty legislation. John Yarmuth's views on the "gun control" issue is just one example of his anti-liberty and anti-citizen mindset, find other examples and pass the word.