Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Active military

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Newport, NC
    Posts
    6

    Question Active military

    Hello everyone,
    I am currently active duty military stationed here at Cherry Point NC and I have a Texas CCW permit and a Texas drivers license. I know that NC honors my Texas permit but am still curious if I can open carry in NC? Also my other question is if i want to buy another handgun or my wife wants one and we both have Texas drivers licenses what all do we need to purchase one? By the way, i OC'd a lot in GA with no issues what so ever and now that I am at ease with doing it i would like to continue to do so as much as i can in NC. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,277
    You can open carry in NC with no permit, so yes you can. There are exceptions in NC where you can carry whether OC or CC.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Newport, NC
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    You can open carry in NC with no permit, so yes you can. There are exceptions in NC where you can carry whether OC or CC.
    Yes, i am aware of the laws on carrying in places that sell alcohol, and certain parks. What i really wish i would have done is gone to college to be a lawyer so that i could better find and understand all the laws lol.
    Last edited by Collins85; 01-02-2013 at 02:12 PM.

  4. #4
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,277
    Quote Originally Posted by Collins85 View Post
    Yes, i am aware of the laws on carrying in places that sell alcohol, and certain parks. What i really wish i would have done is gone to college to be a lawyer so that i could better find and understand all the laws lol.
    Even lawyers can be wrong, it depends on their field of law. There is no laws outlawing OC in NC, in fact the right to bear arms is in the NC constitution, and backed up by NC Supreme court decisions. There are no laws stopping non residents from enjoying the rights set forth in the NC constitution while they are in NC. I also forgot to address your buying question, you should be able to get a PP from your sheriffs office by using your military ID. Your orders would prove your residence in NC.

    Thank you for your service and please exercise and enjoy the right to bear arms.

    OOOPS, welcome to OCDO and North Carolina!
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 01-02-2013 at 02:24 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Newport, NC
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Even lawyers can be wrong, it depends on their field of law. There is no laws outlawing OC in NC, in fact the right to bear arms is in the NC constitution, and backed up by NC Supreme court decisions. There are no laws stopping non residents from enjoying the rights set forth in the NC constitution while they are in NC. I also forgot to address your buying question, you should be able to get a PP from your sheriffs office by using your military ID. Your orders would prove your residence in NC.

    Thank you for your service and please exercise and enjoy the right to bear arms.

    OOOPS, welcome to OCDO and North Carolina!
    Thanks! I got my wife wanting to carry now too since she was with me when i OC'd she knows now that it is ok and a whole lot more comfortable.

  6. #6
    Regular Member ncwabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    rural religious usa
    Posts
    670
    welcome to NC...at cherry your advantage is you are close to the ocean...

    first your attention is directed to the sticky at the top of the NC forum section...

    second, here is the NC attorney general's guidance...http://www.ncsheriffs.org/documents/...ws-rev2011.pdf

    while aim'd at CC'g, there are also the caveats where you can not have any firearm also listed...for example, you stated quote that sell alcohol unquote the statute states where alcohol is sold AND consumed...(14‑269.3)

    third, here is an excellent site to visit w/excellent search capability http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/statutes/statutes.asp for specific statute information.

    to answer your other query...INAL but w/your pcs orders and your cac in hand you may purchase firearms in the state. I am not sure of the status of your partner purchasing w/TX dl and only spouse id...she may need to get a Pistol Purchase Permit from the local sheriff...

    wabbit

    ps thanks for your service to your country...

    pps: hug your partner for putting up with you serving your country in strange locales
    Last edited by ncwabbit; 01-02-2013 at 03:36 PM.
    But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most...
    A person who has for untold centuries maintained the imposing position of spiritual head of four-fifths of the human race...
    All religions issue bibles against him, and say the most injurious things about him, but we never hear his side. (twain)

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Newport, NC
    Posts
    6
    Thanks for the help, I'll make sure to hug my wife. Being in the military and moving so much and having a different home of record or different gun permits makes it all a little confusing to make sure i am in compliance with the state law.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Ft Bragg, NC
    Posts
    9

    Spouses Ability to buy

    Quote Originally Posted by Collins85 View Post
    Thanks for the help, I'll make sure to hug my wife. Being in the military and moving so much and having a different home of record or different gun permits makes it all a little confusing to make sure i am in compliance with the state law.
    Unless your wife is active duty aswell, she would have to change her drivers liscense to NC, if she wished to purchase a handgun. A rifle or shotgun I am unsure of. I know becuase my wife was looking to buy herself a revolver before I had deployed a year ago. She has a hawaii drivers liscense, she would have to change it over to NC in order to get the permits, aswell as get the Citizen vouching responsibility from the same county we reside in (cumberland) which could not be related to her or reside with her.

    Now YOU can purchase a handgun, simply with the your ID, the Application for PP, and a handly little form from your provost marshal office I do not know the exact form off hand, but the mp/sp/sf should know what your asking for. It counts as your reference portion of the PP.

    I am going to do a little digging, becuase I know there is a federal statuette somewhere that allows "gifting" of firearms to immediate family members, its how my grandfather gave me my handgun when I came back from my first deployment in 2003. Its one of the loop-holes the anti-gun advocates are trying to close. I do not know if NC has anything contradictory to it. Im going to check into it unless someone else knows what I am talking about.

    Welcome to NC

  9. #9
    Regular Member ncwabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    rural religious usa
    Posts
    670
    Quote Originally Posted by XRhinoX View Post
    Unless your wife is active duty aswell, she would have to change her drivers liscense to NC, if she wished to purchase a handgun. A rifle or shotgun I am unsure of. I know becuase my wife was looking to buy herself a revolver before I had deployed a year ago. She has a hawaii drivers liscense, she would have to change it over to NC in order to get the permits, aswell as get the Citizen vouching responsibility from the same county we reside in (cumberland) which could not be related to her or reside with her.

    Now YOU can purchase a handgun, simply with the your ID, the Application for PP, and a handly little form from your provost marshal office I do not know the exact form off hand, but the mp/sp/sf should know what your asking for. It counts as your reference portion of the PP.

    I am going to do a little digging, becuase I know there is a federal statuette somewhere that allows "gifting" of firearms to immediate family members, its how my grandfather gave me my handgun when I came back from my first deployment in 2003. Its one of the loop-holes the anti-gun advocates are trying to close. I do not know if NC has anything contradictory to it. Im going to check into it unless someone else knows what I am talking about.

    Welcome to NC
    1) http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...f-p-5300-4.pdf, page 165 para # 15 covers allowable gifting (aka straw purchase).

    2) not sure what the provost marshal has to do with purchase of firearm...

    3) i am not an attorney...however, i have several friends who have advised if your partner gets a NC identification card, then go to the sheriff's office and get a PPP and and and (stuttering cuz it leads to CC) if your partner wishes to attend a CHP training they can get their CHP and then they can purchase firearms.

    wabbit
    But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most...
    A person who has for untold centuries maintained the imposing position of spiritual head of four-fifths of the human race...
    All religions issue bibles against him, and say the most injurious things about him, but we never hear his side. (twain)

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1
    Hello all ! Also active duty here and looking to open carry. I live in Fort Bragg and i joined this site because it looks like there is some good info ! I was thinking about carrying my S&W M&P 9mm in my Black Hawk holster.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fayetteville NC
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by ncwabbit View Post
    2) not sure what the provost marshal has to do with purchase of firearm...
    wabbit
    I don't know about USMC, but here at Bragg the soldier is required to have permission from the Commander to purchase a handgun. This form must be presented to the sheriff along with the PPP request.

  12. #12
    Regular Member ncwabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    rural religious usa
    Posts
    670
    never mind...found it and digesting it
    Last edited by ncwabbit; 01-06-2013 at 07:35 PM. Reason: never mind
    But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most...
    A person who has for untold centuries maintained the imposing position of spiritual head of four-fifths of the human race...
    All religions issue bibles against him, and say the most injurious things about him, but we never hear his side. (twain)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •