• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry support sign at MC Sports

fire suppressor

I always try and make a special note to businesses who support our right to open carry. I saw this sign today while walking into MC Sports in Traverse City and thought I would make mention of it
6y4amyqe.jpg

FerretMI

It's funny to me that they posted that sign. When they hire security for their outdoor tent sales, the security enforcement officers are required to be unarmed. To quote the manager of the Big Rapids location, "[Security] won't need guns."

You sell guns, bows, knives, etc.; have people that carry firearms into and out of the store; and you still think that there will be no use for armed security? Give me a break.

*end rant*

Last edited:

Ezerharden

It's funny to me that they posted that sign. When they hire security for their outdoor tent sales, the security enforcement officers are required to be unarmed. To quote the manager of the Big Rapids location, "[Security] won't need guns."

You sell guns, bows, knives, etc.; have people that carry firearms into and out of the store; and you still think that there will be no use for armed security? Give me a break.

*end rant*

That casts a poor outlook of supposedly "lawful citizens" open carrying doesn't it?

Understand, I agree that unarmed security is a contradiction in terms (worked security for over 13 years) and as such is pretty useless. But you also have to consider that armed security is more expensive, so less desirable. Idiotic as it may seem.

Last edited:

Haman J.T.

*end rant*
Armed Law Abiding Citizens are their own security,thus no need for paid security,as the Founders Understood and enshrined the words "The Right of The People,to Bear Arms"! Simply Genius!

FerretMI

There is no cost difference between armed and unarmed security with the company they contracted; this was made known to the manager. Two weeks and not a single open carrier or not-so-concealed carrier spotted...

TheQ

There is no cost difference between armed and unarmed security with the company they contracted; this was made known to the manager. Two weeks and not a single open carrier or not-so-concealed carrier spotted...

I know an unarmed security guard -- bullet catcher. He tells me he makes about $10 an hour. He also says armed guards make about $17-$18/hr.

DanM

FerretMI said:

I know an unarmed security guard -- bullet catcher. He tells me he makes about $10 an hour. He also says armed guards make about $17-$18/hr.

We hired private security in some cases while I was in the military, if the installation to be guarded was of relatively low value. You're correct, there is a significant actual cost differential between unarmed and armed security.

Ferret may be right that the contracted company only offered one price, but that would only be because they quoted only the higher price of armed security and the store owners or management either didn't do due diligence or had a non-price reason to go with them. Or there was a sack of money under the negotiating table, influencing the procurement manager's decision. That's always a possibility to be considered when things don't pass the smell test, such as this case.

fire suppressor

Just like everything ells it all depends on the company. Out in Washington I was making $14 an hour working as un armed security. Some other company's in the area had armed security and they only made $12 an hour. I don't know about Michigan but when I looked into working the armored cars in Washington I stopped looking when I learned they all make state minimum wage. Now there is a good idea these people are handling possibly millions of dollars a day, have to carry a gun and a vest and some company thinks minimum wage is appropriate? A year or two ago we had a armored car guard shot and killed while he was emptying out a coin star machine. Someone shot and killed him over literally someone else's pocket change. I decided there are better ways to make $8 an hour

Last edited:

DanM

TheQ said:

Just like everything ells it all depends on the company.

The point being made by Q with his example is only that unarmed security costs less than armed security. That is a fact. Whatever price points that are specific to a company or prevailing in a state, unarmed security costs $X and armed security costs $Y (fill in as appropriate). X is always less than Y. Unarmed security always costs less than armed security, for any given site or protectee at a given point in time.

Any company that prices unarmed security the same as armed security is BS'ing or incompetent in regard to their business.

Last edited:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I don't see how that could be. The insurance that a company pays to cover the presence of armed security is quite a bit higher than just having a warm body in a uniform. And from what I've seen, armed security in this state are generally paid about 1.5 to 2 times as much as unarmed security.

Raggs

I don't see how that could be. The insurance that a company pays to cover the presence of armed security is quite a bit higher than just having a warm body in a uniform. And from what I've seen, armed security in this state are generally paid about 1.5 to 2 times as much as unarmed security.

I have worked unarmed security and armed security, I was paid considerably more for the armed guard job. I am sure the company that placed me made more when I was armed as well.

FerretMI

I made less than $10 per hour. Most of the contracts for the company were signed as "Armed Optional," meaning the guards able to work armed (CPL, firearm, level 3 duty holster, etc.) could if they chose to (why the hell would one choose not to?) and those unable to work armed could work the same site, all for the unarmed client rate. Only "Armed Mandatory" sites charged the clients a higher rate, of which the guards never saw a dime.

The MC Sports contracted another security company (at way-too-high of a rate), which subcontracted the company I worked for. The manager was informed of the (no-additional-charge) option to have our guards (who are able) work armed, and yet he declined. It may be just two store managers (this also happened in Portage), but I'm just telling it how it is.

I wasn't saying it's how all security works, just this specific case. Put your torches and pitchforks away, people.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I made less than $10 per hour. Most of the contracts for the company were signed as "Armed Optional," meaning the guards able to work armed (CPL, firearm, level 3 duty holster, etc.) could if they chose to (why the hell would one choose not to?) and those unable to work armed could work the same site, all for the unarmed client rate. Only "Armed Mandatory" sites charged the clients a higher rate, of which the guards never saw a dime.

The MC Sports contracted another security company (at way-too-high of a rate), which subcontracted the company I worked for. The manager was informed of the (no-additional-charge) option to have our guards (who are able) work armed, and yet he declined. It may be just two store managers (this also happened in Portage), but I'm just telling it how it is.

I wasn't saying it's how all security works, just this specific case. Put your torches and pitchforks away, people.
I'm not saying it's not possible. I just find it very surprising is all.