• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Response to OC in Springfield

Mykhael

My question to municipal court here in Springfield.

Is it legal to open carry in the city of Springfield? I looked through city ordinances and did not see where it was listed.

Their response

It is legal to open carry in the city of Springfield. However Police want to make sure you understand this will probably bring attention to you from business owners and customers. Businesses also have the right to ask you to leave if they don’t want a gun in their store. Police said people will likely call 911 to have them check to see if you should be carrying a firearm. When people see someone with a firearm and they are not law enforcement personnel, with badges, they call 911. They said that takes at least two officers away from other duties when they have to come check.

I have a question in to the Municipal Prosecutor about carrying a firearm into a business that is posted with a sign that states firearms are not allowed. I have not heard back from him yet, but will let you know once I do.

Claudia Crighton

Citizen Service Coordinator

Dept. of Public Information

City of Springfield

Ph: 864-1012 Fax: 864-1114

CCrighton@springfieldmo.gov

Griz

Should have asked her how many cops it takes to respond to people wearing green shoes. Or more aptly, why do officers need to check on people participating in completely legal activities.

mspgunner

In MO. OC is legal except where it is not legal. The muni-codes will not state that is legal.
When searching for "legal" or "NOT legal" just check the muni-codes. Asking will often get you opinons which are not supportive of your rights. You do not need "permission" to exercise your rights.

My friend, you really need to meet up with OCers. The truth, the facts are not always self evident... You have seek information from the right people, noit the lew enforcement people. Many LOEs do not know the local laws or far that matter State Statutes when it comes to firearms.

Is it legal to open carry in the city of Springfield? I looked through city ordinances and did not see where it was listed.

Their response

It is legal to open carry in the city of Springfield. However Police want to make sure you understand this will probably bring attention to you from business owners and customers. Businesses also have the right to ask you to leave if they don’t want a gun in their store. Police said people will likely call 911 to have them check to see if you should be carrying a firearm. When people see someone with a firearm and they are not law enforcement personnel, with badges, they call 911. They said that takes at least two officers away from other duties when they have to come check.

I have a question in to the Municipal Prosecutor about carrying a firearm into a business that is posted with a sign that states firearms are not allowed. I have not heard back from him yet, but will let you know once I do.

Claudia Crighton

City of Springfield

BOOMcat12B

It is legal to OC in Springfield... All that "taking LEO's from other duties, folks calling 911 and all" is a bunch of crap I have been OCing for over a year now, on a daily basis and have had only a handful of MWAG calls. (I also walk alot so that really accounts for most of them.) In truth alot of folks never even notice. And as far as the LEO's are concerned, most of them do not want folks to carry, or at least OC, so they will say crap like what they told you to try to dissuade you from carrying. I have carried in Springfield in the past and will continue to do so when I make another trip down their. I have never had any problems and I really do not see any forthcoming.

Oramac

Many LOEs do not know the local laws or far that matter State Statutes when it comes to firearms.

Unfortunately, in my experience this is true. Admittedly, I have a statistically insignificant sample size, but I'd say maybe 1 in 4 LEOs I've talked to actually knew the carry law in their area.

REALteach4u

Their response

Claudia Crighton

City of Springfield

Gee, how can this be if I was fearmongering? Oh that's right, I have dealt with SPD, the municipal court, Greene County Sheriff, and Troop D on this exact matter as well as injecting incident occurrences and personal experiences into the matter. Expect it, then when nothing happens drive on with a smile!

Thanks for asking the municipal court, many won't ask to gain an understanding. You showed a great courtesy by asking them knowing you could get a biased response. Keep municode.com on-hand, you might find it useful for other municipalities. When in doubt, have that CCW and just cover up....until the stupidity ceases.

Great point mspgunner! Far too many carry because the department says they have to and far too few are up to speed on open carry or concealed carry. Had to point out Paragraph 2 of 571.107 to a SPD officer a couple of years ago. Specifically: Carrying of a concealed firearm in a location specified in subdivisions (1) to (17) of subsection 1 of this section by any individual who holds a concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 shall not be a criminal act....

Let's just say that he was taking cues from the Blue Book that didn't have Paragraph 2 (at the time) as well as taking advice from someone who doesn't know anything about Missouri law, doesn't have a CCW, and until last year hadn't owned a pistol in over 10 years.

Some of you may be wondering what the Blue Book is that I mentioned. It's a fast-reference manual for LEOs in Missouri and it's often quite accurate while being rather inaccurate as well. Certain things deemed not relevant are left out and that means that you might get a LEO that pulls out the Blue Book and attempts to run you in on a bogus charge that would immediately be overturned by looking it up on the official website. When the website is updated, many don't get updated Blue Books for a while, some will never seek out an updated Blue Book and just "think" they know the law. So when one breaks out the BB, ask for a supervisor and have them access the website....especially when it comes to anything firearms related. There are plenty of good LEOs that know the BB differs from the website and they'll confirm before taking any action. Even if you're in the wrong, if they do this to confirm make sure to thank them.

Last edited:

REALteach4u

In MO. OC is legal except where it is not legal. The muni-codes will not state that is legal.
When searching for "legal" or "NOT legal" just check the muni-codes. Asking will often get you opinons which are not supportive of your rights. You do not need "permission" to exercise your rights.

My friend, you really need to meet up with OCers. The truth, the facts are not always self evident... You have seek information from the right people, noit the lew enforcement people. Many LOEs do not know the local laws or far that matter State Statutes when it comes to firearms.

I hope you heard the crickets in the room as much as I did when I read your post mspgunner. I had to chuckle a bit because that is my typical response to the OC question in CCW classes with a prompt suggestion to visit OCDO to help locate information on the matter. It's legal, except where it's not legal...get it? (crickets)

Boba Fett

I have yet to have any SPD talk to me for OC'ing. I've been kicked out of 3 stores by business managers (one was in Ozark), but they all handled it appropriately. Springfield is pretty OC friendly. Be sure to check out http://friendorfoe.us/ for a google-style map of friendly and not-so-friendly places in Springfield.

OC for ME

<snip> When the website is updated, many don't get updated Blue Books for a while, some will never seek out an updated Blue Book and just "think" they know the law. So when one breaks out the BB, ask for a supervisor and have them access the website....especially when it comes to anything firearms related. There are plenty of good LEOs that know the BB differs from the website and they'll confirm before taking any action. <snip>
BS flag.jpeg

With the advent of "smartphones" I can access the RSMo website and read the law in seconds. If that nitwit cop don't have a Interwebs connection in his car, or his pocket, he can use mine.....I got a shortcut to RSMo 571 on my phone.

As to that "there are plenty of good LEOs" crap.....if there are plenty of "good ones" how come we continue to have far too many "bad ones." Or, is it that the good ones are not so good after all. How can one cop know and another not know.

Not a rant at you per se, but at the false premise that you perpetuate. I refuse to accept that false premise. It is nothing more than a excuse to wiggle out of being held accountable. Stop the madness and hold that cop accountable and hold their bureaucrat bosses accountable for the actions of their minions.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
View attachment 9842

Not a rant at you per se, but at the false premise that you perpetuate. I refuse to accept that false premise. It is nothing more than a excuse to wiggle out of being held accountable. Stop the madness and hold that cop accountable and hold their bureaucrat bosses accountable for the actions of their minions.

better yet, lets dump a boat load of these jokers and cull a boat load of the laws so that a person could at least possibly know them all! I am not making excuses for an officer not knowing, but there are way too many to start with so the excuse of not knowing them all is quite legit.

I believe that is actually one of our main points, there are likely 50 or so laws relating to OC depending upon your exact geographic location at the time. It changes literally within feet in some locations.

We need ONE oc law in MO, one that says if you are carrying a firearm in a legal manner anywhere in the state you shall be free from all forms of harassment from ALL government persons.

keeping it that simple, it leaves private parties free to restrict as they see fit but the government completely out of it as our country was founded on such principles.

OC for ME

better yet, lets dump a boat load of these jokers and cull a boat load of the laws so that a person could at least possibly know them all! I am not making excuses for an officer not knowing, but there are way too many to start with so the excuse of not knowing them all is quite legit.

I believe that is actually one of our main points, there are likely 50 or so laws relating to OC depending upon your exact geographic location at the time. It changes literally within feet in some locations.

We need ONE oc law in MO, one that says if you are carrying a firearm in a legal manner anywhere in the state you shall be free from all forms of harassment from ALL government persons.

keeping it that simple, it leaves private parties free to restrict as they see fit but the government completely out of it as our country was founded on such principles.
Dang it, way to kill a thread. Not much can be said now.

View attachment 9842

With the advent of "smartphones" I can access the RSMo website and read the law in seconds. If that nitwit cop don't have a Interwebs connection in his car, or his pocket, he can use mine.....I got a shortcut to RSMo 571 on my phone.

As to that "there are plenty of good LEOs" crap.....if there are plenty of "good ones" how come we continue to have far too many "bad ones." Or, is it that the good ones are not so good after all. How can one cop know and another not know.

Haven't met a cop yet that would take the time to access any website to verify what a person is trying to tell them in a nice way. They seem to have the attitude "By god I got the badge and therefore makes me know the law better than you" On the day on Feb 24, 2004 when the MO Supreme said O.K. on CCW had a MSHP Trooper tell me it was illegal to CCW on a OOS permit. I offered to let him read the law but he refused. I spoke with his supervisor a couple of days later about the incident. The next day the young Trooper looked me up and apologized and said after further reading he agreed I was right.