Thread: Maria Cantwell vows to "Support the 2nd Amendment" by banning guns

Maria Cantwell vows to "Support the 2nd Amendment" by banning guns

This is an excerpt of an e-mail she sent to me today, in response to my request request for her to create gun-free zones for politicians in D.C.

Thank you for contacting me regarding the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

All Washingtonians – and all Americans – offer our deepest condolences to the families of the 20 children and six school staff members who were killed in this senseless attack. Our thoughts and prayers are with the community of Newtown, as its residents heal from this incomprehensible tragedy.

This horrific attack highlights several issues that must be addressed promptly in order to better protect against such inexplicable violence. We need to get powerful assault weapons off our streets. And we need to strengthen services for the mentally ill and their families.

In the past, I supported the original Assault Weapons Ban and the Brady Bill, as well as the Youth Handgun Safety Act of 1993, which prohibits juveniles from possessing or receiving handguns. I look forward to work with my colleagues in the Senate to strengthen responsible legislation to rein in gun violence. We need to work to close the loopholes in existing laws that allow criminals and children to gain access to firearms contrary to the law's intention. One example is the well-known "gun-show loophole" which allows people to purchase firearms at gun-shows without undergoing the background check required when guns are bought from licensed dealers. Lastly, I believe we must support increased gun-safety and gun-use education.

I support the Second Amendment and the rights of law-abiding Washingtonians who own guns.
    I also remain focused on addressing the deeply troubling violence in this country and making our state and our country as safe as possible for all people, including our most vulnerable citizens, our children. I believe both of these goals are important and can be simultaneously accomplished through common-sense gun laws and stricter enforcement of existing laws.

Along with addressing gun violence, making services for the mentally ill and their families more accessible will encourage those suffering from mental illness to seek needed care and support. Mental health care is a critical component of our healthcare system and an individual's overall health status. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, approximately one in 17 Americans suffers from a seriously debilitating mental illness. I care deeply about mental health care and understand the important role behavioral health services play in the lives of both those who suffer from mental illness and their family and loved ones.

Thank you again for contacting me to share your thoughts on this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
    Maria Cantwell
    United States Senator
    Last edited by 44Brent; 01-02-2013 at 08:58 PM.

Got the exact same email regarding my email about the awb. How did we lose so badly in this last election.

Same

Quote Originally Posted by Px4er View Post
    Got the exact same email regarding my email about the awb. How did we lose so badly in this last election.
    Yep, I received the same garbage... what a liberal fascist...interesting that her points on mental illness are not covered by implementing/supporting more restrictive legislation on the healthcare and mentally challenged community... Where are those elements found in the previous "assault weapon" bans...
    D.

The only reason I would contact Maria Cantwell is to tell her I am not voting for her ever, there are simply too many reasons to list in a letter or email.

If someone truly believes that the 2nd amendment only applies to target shooting, then they truly could hold the belief that they are upholding the 2nd amendment by banning guns.

How anyone could be that naive past elementary school, let alone make it into public office, beggars the imagination.

I've heard that politicians are evil, but when the alternative is THAT improbable...

Patty Murray replies

I wrote to all my (so called) representatives concerning gun control legislation. Below is Ms Murray's reply.
    --------------------------------------

Thank you for writing me regarding the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. It was good to hear from you.

As a mother, grandmother, and former preschool teacher I was shocked by the tragedy that unfolded in Newtown. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and loved ones of the victims whose loss is difficult to comprehend.

Unfortunately, this horrific tragedy was another in a long line of gun violence episodes that have ranged from places like Columbine, Virginia Tech, and Aurora to coffee shops in Lakewood to the corner of South Byron Street and McClintock Ave South in Seattle. These episodes have plagued our cities, our schools, and our shared sense of security. This cannot go on. As a society we need to come together to begin a real conversation on all the factors contributing to those horrific instances of gun violence, but we also need to take specific action to bolster our current gun safety laws.

There is no question that we can and should limit access to the assault style weapons of war that are on our streets and that are too often being used to kill innocent people indiscriminately. I have repeatedly voted for an assault weapons ban and will do so again as soon as we can get a bill to the Senate floor.

But preventing tragedies like the one in Newtown will take more than just common-sense gun policies and enforcement. It will also take a renewed commitment to understanding and dealing with the root causes that lead isolated individuals to carry out these atrocities. At this moment, everything needs to be on the table for scrutiny.

Our nation is at a crossroads moment, and we must take the path that protects future generations from re-living these gun violence tragedies over and over again. It will take the courage of people with opposing views but a common purpose sitting down with one another and agreeing that the status quo is unacceptable.

Please be assured I will keep your views in mind as I work with my colleagues and please feel free to share with me your ideas on how to address this crisis. If you would like to know more about my work in the Senate, please feel free to sign up for my updates at http://murrav.senate.gov/updates. Thank you for contacting me, and please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Sincerely,
    Patty Murray
    United States Senator

Relentless

It has been successful with rep sherry appleton, take the fight to these people too! Write, email, call, send them cookies. Do something, anything . We must relentlessly remind them the Constitution of both State and Republic will not allow what they are doing.

that or sell your guns at a profit now, before confiscation.
    Last edited by MSG Laigaie; 01-03-2013 at 11:21 AM. Reason: spelig and the heet of the momet
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

On that note: I'm in the market for a .308 in the Modern Sporting Rifle platform, I'm also looking to buy a S&W .38SP LadySmith. Message me if your between Tacoma and the Canadian border. Lets make a deal!!

P.S. I ordered the revolver and might get it by March so, I'm very motivated, as it was supposed to be a Christmas gift for the Wifey.

Cheers,
    OCinBlaine

Quote Originally Posted by Maria Cantwell
    Thank you for contacting me regarding the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

All Washingtonians – and all Americans – offer our deepest condolences to the families of the 20 children and six school staff members who were killed in this senseless attack. Our thoughts and prayers are with the community of Newtown, as its residents heal from this incomprehensible tragedy.

This horrific attack highlights several issues that must be addressed promptly in order to better protect against such inexplicable violence. We need to get powerful assault weapons off our streets. And we need to strengthen services for the mentally ill and their families.

In the past, I supported the original Assault Weapons Ban and the Brady Bill, as well as the Youth Handgun Safety Act of 1993, which prohibits juveniles from possessing or receiving handguns. I look forward to work with my colleagues in the Senate to strengthen responsible legislation to rein in gun violence. We need to work to close the loopholes in existing laws that allow criminals and children to gain access to firearms contrary to the law's intention. One example is the well-known "gun-show loophole" which allows people to purchase firearms at gun-shows without undergoing the background check required when guns are bought from licensed dealers. Lastly, I believe we must support increased gun-safety and gun-use education.

I support the Second Amendment and the rights of law-abiding Washingtonians who own guns. I also remain focused on addressing the deeply troubling violence in this country and making our state and our country as safe as possible for all people, including our most vulnerable citizens, our children. I believe both of these goals are important and can be simultaneously accomplished through common-sense gun laws and stricter enforcement of existing laws.

Along with addressing gun violence, making services for the mentally ill and their families more accessible will encourage those suffering from mental illness to seek needed care and support. Mental health care is a critical component of our healthcare system and an individual's overall health status. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, approximately one in 17 Americans suffers from a seriously debilitating mental illness. I care deeply about mental health care and understand the important role behavioral health services play in the lives of both those who suffer from mental illness and their family and loved ones.

Thank you again for contacting me to share your thoughts on this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
    Maria Cantwell
    United States Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Kryteon View Post
    I wrote to all my (so called) representatives concerning gun control legislation. Below is Ms Murray's reply.
    --------------------------------------

Thank you for writing me regarding the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. It was good to hear from you.

As a mother, grandmother, and former preschool teacher I was shocked by the tragedy that unfolded in Newtown. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and loved ones of the victims whose loss is difficult to comprehend.

Unfortunately, this horrific tragedy was another in a long line of gun violence episodes that have ranged from places like Columbine, Virginia Tech, and Aurora to coffee shops in Lakewood to the corner of South Byron Street and McClintock Ave South in Seattle. These episodes have plagued our cities, our schools, and our shared sense of security. This cannot go on. As a society we need to come together to begin a real conversation on all the factors contributing to those horrific instances of gun violence, but we also need to take specific action to bolster our current gun safety laws.

There is no question that we can and should limit access to the assault style weapons of war that are on our streets and that are too often being used to kill innocent people indiscriminately. I have repeatedly voted for an assault weapons ban and will do so again as soon as we can get a bill to the Senate floor.

But preventing tragedies like the one in Newtown will take more than just common-sense gun policies and enforcement. It will also take a renewed commitment to understanding and dealing with the root causes that lead isolated individuals to carry out these atrocities. At this moment, everything needs to be on the table for scrutiny.

Our nation is at a crossroads moment, and we must take the path that protects future generations from re-living these gun violence tragedies over and over again. It will take the courage of people with opposing views but a common purpose sitting down with one another and agreeing that the status quo is unacceptable.

Please be assured I will keep your views in mind as I work with my colleagues and please feel free to share with me your ideas on how to address this crisis. If you would like to know more about my work in the Senate, please feel free to sign up for my updates at http://murrav.senate.gov/updates. Thank you for contacting me, and please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Sincerely,
    Patty Murray
    United States Senator
    Both of our Senators gave vomit bucket responses!
    They should both be ashamed of themselves, but knowing they are hard-core liberals, they cannot be convinced of the error of their ways. We need someone like Dave Workman (doesn't have to be him, just someone well known like him) to run against Murray in 2016. Lots of time to network, establish greater community visibility, and build funds to file as a candidate/campaign with.
    Just a thought.
    ~380 Lady~

why all the focus on rifles?

as far as recent stats I've seen, they only kill 350 or so a year, about 100 less or so than people dieing falling out of bed,

I would think that if they want to make a stink about something, wouldn't they want to save the most lives?

they should ban pedestal beds immediately, and put caps on bed frame height. Don't they know that almost everyone has a bed! and that there are probably at least two in most homes.

Who's looking out for the endangered sleepwalkers? Aren't their lives worth the same?

why do they continue to accept these deadly bed traps in peoples homes?

don't look for a rational response

We are not likely to get a rational response from a progressive authoritarian. We should not refer to progressives as liberals - they are not liberal about very much. Mostly they are advocates of centralized authority over most of our lives and wish that authority to be wielded on a collectivist bias.
    Those that call themselves libertarians or objectivists are much closer to the origional meaning of 'liberal' than the contemporary mob.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    as far as recent stats I've seen, they only kill 350 or so a year, about 100 less or so than people dieing falling out of bed, I would think that if they want to make a stink about something, wouldn't they want to save the most lives?
    358 murdered using a rifle in 2010.
    http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...es/10tbl20.xls

Gee, look at that. 358 murders using a rifle and more than double that - 745 - using bare hands. And an "assault weapon" ban is an urgent national priority?

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    I posted a thread in the social lounge about how frustrated I am at these demonic "leaders" dancing in the the blood of our children.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Does this really surprise anyone considering this is Maria Can't(vote very)well?

Does the Response from Batty Murry really surprise anyone either?

They are both crazy 'progressive' constitution stompers.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Lightbulb New version of canned response

I support the Second Amendment and the rights of law-abiding Washingtonians who own guns. I also remain focused on addressing the deeply troubling violence in this country and making our state and our country as safe as possible for all people, including our most vulnerable citizens, our children. I believe both of these goals are important and can be simultaneously accomplished through common-sense gun laws and stricter enforcement of existing laws.

Sincerely,
    Maria Cantwell
    United States Senator

I wrote Her office back pointing out the misleading and incorrect information highlighted in the response sent.

"The information provided below is not entirely correct and is misleading. Please review the Federal Firearms Reference Guide with regard to private sales and “dealer” sales."

While I acknowledge it will not do much good it may be an indication to the tack they will take regarding this legislation.

~Whitney
    Last edited by Whitney; 01-05-2013 at 03:41 PM.
    The problem with America is stupidity.
    I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Money Talks

There's an excellent article in American Thinker with an action plan to put pressure on our elected officials who want to support draconian gun legislation.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...n_control.html

There's an excellent article in American Thinker with an action plan to put pressure on our elected officials who want to support draconian gun legislation.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...n_control.html
    I will not donate to organizations that believe in compromise as a solution.

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

http://w2.eff.org/congress/

fax, call and write/email!

Every time I write Cantwell, I also get a canned response. Not that I was expecting any different. But the same form letter for two separate issues is kinda lame!

It's amazing that people will actually 'feel safer' with a ban on 'assault' weapons. how's that going for heroin and crystal meth?

Folks wonder how we got to this point in WA and USA?

I have been saying this for a long time. It doesn't matter who you vote for, only who counts the votes. And from Uncle Joe's mouth itself. "Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything." http://quotes.liberty-tree.ca/quote_...lin.Quote.0DE9 These people are not "Democrats", they aren't "Liberals" or "Progressives." They are COMMUNISTS, plain and simple. Their goal to take down the United States of America has been a plan in action for many decades. With Russia and China it was easy, their people are very much sheep, blindly following their leaders. With us it is different and they have to move slowly and take away a little bit each generation.

These pigs don't support, let alone respect, the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the USA. They know that it was put there to protect us from them. They WANT it GONE so they can progress in their takeover of our lives and country. They will never give you a real answer to any contact you make because they don't care one bit about their constituents. They only care about gaining power for themselves and turning the population into tax slaves.

You can't vote them out. They control the elections board and the counting of the votes. Both the Republican and Democrat parties are following the instructions of the Communist elite. They are two sides of the same coin. Neither are out to protect our rights and freedoms. There is only one answer now to the condition we the people have found ourselves in. It is the same answer that our ancestors found in 1775. It is our RIGHT under the constitution to rise up and throw our government out by force. The more the people are brain washed into believing that guns are bad the closer we get to full Communist control. If you don't believe me, watch this.

Great

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    I will not donate to organizations that believe in compromise as a solution.
    I got no problem with that. But at least you'll get to benefit from the work others do for you.

I got no problem with that. But at least you'll get to benefit from the work others do for you.
    Sigh....

This is fallacy logic used also by the Republicans and Democrats on why we need to be on their side.

I didn't say I won't support specific causes just not organizations that "compromise". Compromise is evil, compromise is sacrificing liberty.

We have gotten to the state we are in now because of those who are supposedly working for me and their bloody compromises.
    Last edited by sudden valley gunner; 01-07-2013 at 09:57 AM.

Over the Top ? Yes - No - Suggestions

I intend to Fax the following letter and would like some input from this forum.

~Whitney

January 7, 2013
    Office of Maria Cantwell
    950 Pacific Avenue, Ste 615
    Tacoma, WA 98402

I am writing in response to an automated email reply that I received on the 4th of January containing incorrect and misleading information.
    I subsequently wrote another email detailing the incorrect information citing reference to codified law, to which I received two automated replies. Please find below the offending information offset and underlined. I have provided the correct information and legal citation.

TITLE 27 CFR CHAPTER II
    PART 478—COMMERCE IN FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION
    § 478.50 Locations covered by license.
    The license covers the class of business or the activity specified in the license at the address specified therein. A separate license must be obtained for each location at which a firearms or ammunition business or activity requiring a license under this part is conducted except:
    (a) No license is required to cover a separate warehouse used by the licensee solely for storage of firearms or ammunition if the records required by this part are maintained at the licensed premises served by such warehouse;
    (b) A licensed collector may acquire curios and relics at any location, and dispose of curios or relics to any licensee or to other persons who are residents of the State where the collector's license is held and the disposition is made;
    (c) A licensee may conduct business at a gun show pursuant to the provisions of§ 478.100; or
    (d) A licensed importer, manufacturer, or dealer may engage in the business of dealing in curio or relic firearms with another licensee at any location pursuant to the provisions of § 478.100.

478.100 Conduct of business away from licensed premises.
    (a) (1) A licensee may conduct business temporarily at a gun show or event as defined in paragraph (b) if the gun
    show or event is located in the same State specified on the license: Provided, that such business shall not be conducted from any motorized or towed vehicle. The premises of the gun show or event at which the licensee conducts business shall be considered part of the licensed premises. Accordingly, no separate fee or
    license is required for the gun show or event locations. However, licensees shall comply with the provisions of § 478.91
    relating to posting of licenses (or a copy thereof) while conducting business at the gun show or event.

(2) A licensed importer, manufacturer, or dealer may engage in the business of dealing in curio or relic firearms with another licensee at any location. (b) A gun show or an event is a function sponsored by any national, State, or local organization, devoted to the collection, competitive use, or other sporting use of firearms, or an organization or association
    that sponsors functions devoted to the collection, competitive use, or other sporting use of firearms in the community.

(c) Licensees conducting business at locations other than the premises specified on their license under the provisions
    of paragraph (a) of this section shall maintain firearms records in the form and manner prescribed by subpart H of this part. In addition, records of firearms transactions conducted at such locations shall include the location of the sale or other disposition, be entered in the acquisition and disposition records of the licensee, and retained on the premises specified on the license.

§ 478.101 Record of transactions.
    Every licensee shall maintain firearms and armor piercing ammunition records in such form and manner as is prescribed by
    subpart H of this part
    .§ 478.102 Sales or deliveries of firearms on and after November 30, 1998.
    (a) Background check. Except as provided in paragraph (d) of this section, a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer,
    or licensed dealer (the licensee) shall not sell, deliver, or transfer a firearm to any other person who is not licensed under
    this part unless the licensee meets the following requirements:
    (1) Before the completion of the transfer, the licensee has contacted NICS;
    (2)(i) NICS informs the licensee that it has no information that receipt of the firearm by the transferee would be in
    violation of Federal or State law and provides the licensee with a unique identification number; or (ii) Three business days (meaning days on which State offices are open) have elapsed from the date the licensee contacted NICS and NICS has
    not notified the licensee that receipt of the firearm by the transferee would be in violation of law; and
    (3) The licensee verifies the identity of the transferee by examining the identification document presented in accordance with the provisions of §_478.124(c).

Simply put licensed dealers are now and always have been required to do background checks regardless of the location doing business. I request the offending language be removed from the automated reply as it creates an impression that dealers do not follow the law as prescribed. You may find a more complete reference to the firearms law in the ATF publication, Federal Firearms Reference Guide located on the ATF website at http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...f-p-5300-4.pdf .

I would appreciate a response that is not automated.

Very Respectfully,
    The problem with America is stupidity.
    I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?