• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Maria Cantwell vows to "Support the 2nd Amendment" by banning guns

44Brent

This is an excerpt of an e-mail she sent to me today, in response to my request request for her to create gun-free zones for politicians in D.C.

Thank you for contacting me regarding the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

All Washingtonians – and all Americans – offer our deepest condolences to the families of the 20 children and six school staff members who were killed in this senseless attack. Our thoughts and prayers are with the community of Newtown, as its residents heal from this incomprehensible tragedy.

This horrific attack highlights several issues that must be addressed promptly in order to better protect against such inexplicable violence. We need to get powerful assault weapons off our streets. And we need to strengthen services for the mentally ill and their families.

In the past, I supported the original Assault Weapons Ban and the Brady Bill, as well as the Youth Handgun Safety Act of 1993, which prohibits juveniles from possessing or receiving handguns. I look forward to work with my colleagues in the Senate to strengthen responsible legislation to rein in gun violence. We need to work to close the loopholes in existing laws that allow criminals and children to gain access to firearms contrary to the law's intention. One example is the well-known "gun-show loophole" which allows people to purchase firearms at gun-shows without undergoing the background check required when guns are bought from licensed dealers. Lastly, I believe we must support increased gun-safety and gun-use education.

I support the Second Amendment and the rights of law-abiding Washingtonians who own guns.
I also remain focused on addressing the deeply troubling violence in this country and making our state and our country as safe as possible for all people, including our most vulnerable citizens, our children. I believe both of these goals are important and can be simultaneously accomplished through common-sense gun laws and stricter enforcement of existing laws.

Along with addressing gun violence, making services for the mentally ill and their families more accessible will encourage those suffering from mental illness to seek needed care and support. Mental health care is a critical component of our healthcare system and an individual's overall health status. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, approximately one in 17 Americans suffers from a seriously debilitating mental illness. I care deeply about mental health care and understand the important role behavioral health services play in the lives of both those who suffer from mental illness and their family and loved ones.

Thank you again for contacting me to share your thoughts on this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Maria Cantwell
United States Senator

Last edited:

Px4er

Got the exact same email regarding my email about the awb. How did we lose so badly in this last election.

Damiansar-15

Same

Got the exact same email regarding my email about the awb. How did we lose so badly in this last election.

Yep, I received the same garbage... what a liberal fascist...interesting that her points on mental illness are not covered by implementing/supporting more restrictive legislation on the healthcare and mentally challenged community... Where are those elements found in the previous "assault weapon" bans...
D.

Jeff Hayes

The only reason I would contact Maria Cantwell is to tell her I am not voting for her ever, there are simply too many reasons to list in a letter or email.

Difdi

If someone truly believes that the 2nd amendment only applies to target shooting, then they truly could hold the belief that they are upholding the 2nd amendment by banning guns.

How anyone could be that naive past elementary school, let alone make it into public office, beggars the imagination.

I've heard that politicians are evil, but when the alternative is THAT improbable...

Kryteon

Patty Murray replies

I wrote to all my (so called) representatives concerning gun control legislation. Below is Ms Murray's reply.
--------------------------------------

Thank you for writing me regarding the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. It was good to hear from you.

As a mother, grandmother, and former preschool teacher I was shocked by the tragedy that unfolded in Newtown. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and loved ones of the victims whose loss is difficult to comprehend.

Unfortunately, this horrific tragedy was another in a long line of gun violence episodes that have ranged from places like Columbine, Virginia Tech, and Aurora to coffee shops in Lakewood to the corner of South Byron Street and McClintock Ave South in Seattle. These episodes have plagued our cities, our schools, and our shared sense of security. This cannot go on. As a society we need to come together to begin a real conversation on all the factors contributing to those horrific instances of gun violence, but we also need to take specific action to bolster our current gun safety laws.

There is no question that we can and should limit access to the assault style weapons of war that are on our streets and that are too often being used to kill innocent people indiscriminately. I have repeatedly voted for an assault weapons ban and will do so again as soon as we can get a bill to the Senate floor.

But preventing tragedies like the one in Newtown will take more than just common-sense gun policies and enforcement. It will also take a renewed commitment to understanding and dealing with the root causes that lead isolated individuals to carry out these atrocities. At this moment, everything needs to be on the table for scrutiny.

Our nation is at a crossroads moment, and we must take the path that protects future generations from re-living these gun violence tragedies over and over again. It will take the courage of people with opposing views but a common purpose sitting down with one another and agreeing that the status quo is unacceptable.

Please be assured I will keep your views in mind as I work with my colleagues and please feel free to share with me your ideas on how to address this crisis. If you would like to know more about my work in the Senate, please feel free to sign up for my updates at http://murrav.senate.gov/updates. Thank you for contacting me, and please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Sincerely,
Patty Murray
United States Senator

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Relentless

It has been successful with rep sherry appleton, take the fight to these people too! Write, email, call, send them cookies. Do something, anything . We must relentlessly remind them the Constitution of both State and Republic will not allow what they are doing.

that or sell your guns at a profit now, before confiscation.

Last edited:

OCinBlaine

On that note: I'm in the market for a .308 in the Modern Sporting Rifle platform, I'm also looking to buy a S&W .38SP LadySmith. Message me if your between Tacoma and the Canadian border. Lets make a deal!!

P.S. I ordered the revolver and might get it by March so, I'm very motivated, as it was supposed to be a Christmas gift for the Wifey.

Cheers,
OCinBlaine

380Lady

Maria Cantwell said:
Thank you for contacting me regarding the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

All Washingtonians – and all Americans – offer our deepest condolences to the families of the 20 children and six school staff members who were killed in this senseless attack. Our thoughts and prayers are with the community of Newtown, as its residents heal from this incomprehensible tragedy.

This horrific attack highlights several issues that must be addressed promptly in order to better protect against such inexplicable violence. We need to get powerful assault weapons off our streets. And we need to strengthen services for the mentally ill and their families.

In the past, I supported the original Assault Weapons Ban and the Brady Bill, as well as the Youth Handgun Safety Act of 1993, which prohibits juveniles from possessing or receiving handguns. I look forward to work with my colleagues in the Senate to strengthen responsible legislation to rein in gun violence. We need to work to close the loopholes in existing laws that allow criminals and children to gain access to firearms contrary to the law's intention. One example is the well-known "gun-show loophole" which allows people to purchase firearms at gun-shows without undergoing the background check required when guns are bought from licensed dealers. Lastly, I believe we must support increased gun-safety and gun-use education.

I support the Second Amendment and the rights of law-abiding Washingtonians who own guns. I also remain focused on addressing the deeply troubling violence in this country and making our state and our country as safe as possible for all people, including our most vulnerable citizens, our children. I believe both of these goals are important and can be simultaneously accomplished through common-sense gun laws and stricter enforcement of existing laws.

Along with addressing gun violence, making services for the mentally ill and their families more accessible will encourage those suffering from mental illness to seek needed care and support. Mental health care is a critical component of our healthcare system and an individual's overall health status. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, approximately one in 17 Americans suffers from a seriously debilitating mental illness. I care deeply about mental health care and understand the important role behavioral health services play in the lives of both those who suffer from mental illness and their family and loved ones.

Thank you again for contacting me to share your thoughts on this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Maria Cantwell
United States Senator

I wrote to all my (so called) representatives concerning gun control legislation. Below is Ms Murray's reply.
--------------------------------------

Thank you for writing me regarding the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. It was good to hear from you.

As a mother, grandmother, and former preschool teacher I was shocked by the tragedy that unfolded in Newtown. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and loved ones of the victims whose loss is difficult to comprehend.

Unfortunately, this horrific tragedy was another in a long line of gun violence episodes that have ranged from places like Columbine, Virginia Tech, and Aurora to coffee shops in Lakewood to the corner of South Byron Street and McClintock Ave South in Seattle. These episodes have plagued our cities, our schools, and our shared sense of security. This cannot go on. As a society we need to come together to begin a real conversation on all the factors contributing to those horrific instances of gun violence, but we also need to take specific action to bolster our current gun safety laws.

There is no question that we can and should limit access to the assault style weapons of war that are on our streets and that are too often being used to kill innocent people indiscriminately. I have repeatedly voted for an assault weapons ban and will do so again as soon as we can get a bill to the Senate floor.

But preventing tragedies like the one in Newtown will take more than just common-sense gun policies and enforcement. It will also take a renewed commitment to understanding and dealing with the root causes that lead isolated individuals to carry out these atrocities. At this moment, everything needs to be on the table for scrutiny.

Our nation is at a crossroads moment, and we must take the path that protects future generations from re-living these gun violence tragedies over and over again. It will take the courage of people with opposing views but a common purpose sitting down with one another and agreeing that the status quo is unacceptable.

Please be assured I will keep your views in mind as I work with my colleagues and please feel free to share with me your ideas on how to address this crisis. If you would like to know more about my work in the Senate, please feel free to sign up for my updates at http://murrav.senate.gov/updates. Thank you for contacting me, and please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Sincerely,
Patty Murray
United States Senator
Both of our Senators gave vomit bucket responses!
They should both be ashamed of themselves, but knowing they are hard-core liberals, they cannot be convinced of the error of their ways. We need someone like Dave Workman (doesn't have to be him, just someone well known like him) to run against Murray in 2016. Lots of time to network, establish greater community visibility, and build funds to file as a candidate/campaign with.
Just a thought.
~380 Lady~

FamilyMan

why all the focus on rifles?

as far as recent stats I've seen, they only kill 350 or so a year, about 100 less or so than people dieing falling out of bed,

I would think that if they want to make a stink about something, wouldn't they want to save the most lives?

they should ban pedestal beds immediately, and put caps on bed frame height. Don't they know that almost everyone has a bed! and that there are probably at least two in most homes.

Who's looking out for the endangered sleepwalkers? Aren't their lives worth the same?

why do they continue to accept these deadly bed traps in peoples homes?

liberty404

don't look for a rational response

We are not likely to get a rational response from a progressive authoritarian. We should not refer to progressives as liberals - they are not liberal about very much. Mostly they are advocates of centralized authority over most of our lives and wish that authority to be wielded on a collectivist bias.
Those that call themselves libertarians or objectivists are much closer to the origional meaning of 'liberal' than the contemporary mob.

John Hardin

as far as recent stats I've seen, they only kill 350 or so a year, about 100 less or so than people dieing falling out of bed, I would think that if they want to make a stink about something, wouldn't they want to save the most lives?

358 murdered using a rifle in 2010.
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2010/crime-in-the-u.s.-2010/tables/10tbl20.xls

Gee, look at that. 358 murders using a rifle and more than double that - 745 - using bare hands. And an "assault weapon" ban is an urgent national priority?

Freedom1Man

Does this really surprise anyone considering this is Maria Can't(vote very)well?

Does the Response from Batty Murry really surprise anyone either?

They are both crazy 'progressive' constitution stompers.

Whitney

New version of canned response

I support the Second Amendment and the rights of law-abiding Washingtonians who own guns. I also remain focused on addressing the deeply troubling violence in this country and making our state and our country as safe as possible for all people, including our most vulnerable citizens, our children. I believe both of these goals are important and can be simultaneously accomplished through common-sense gun laws and stricter enforcement of existing laws.

Sincerely,
Maria Cantwell
United States Senator

I wrote Her office back pointing out the misleading and incorrect information highlighted in the response sent.

"The information provided below is not entirely correct and is misleading. Please review the Federal Firearms Reference Guide with regard to private sales and “dealer” sales."

While I acknowledge it will not do much good it may be an indication to the tack they will take regarding this legislation.

~Whitney

Last edited:

aa1911

http://w2.eff.org/congress/

fax, call and write/email!

Every time I write Cantwell, I also get a canned response. Not that I was expecting any different. But the same form letter for two separate issues is kinda lame!

It's amazing that people will actually 'feel safer' with a ban on 'assault' weapons. how's that going for heroin and crystal meth?

sirpuma

Folks wonder how we got to this point in WA and USA?

I have been saying this for a long time. It doesn't matter who you vote for, only who counts the votes. And from Uncle Joe's mouth itself. "Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything." http://quotes.liberty-tree.ca/quote_blog/Josef.Stalin.Quote.0DE9 These people are not "Democrats", they aren't "Liberals" or "Progressives." They are COMMUNISTS, plain and simple. Their goal to take down the United States of America has been a plan in action for many decades. With Russia and China it was easy, their people are very much sheep, blindly following their leaders. With us it is different and they have to move slowly and take away a little bit each generation.

These pigs don't support, let alone respect, the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the USA. They know that it was put there to protect us from them. They WANT it GONE so they can progress in their takeover of our lives and country. They will never give you a real answer to any contact you make because they don't care one bit about their constituents. They only care about gaining power for themselves and turning the population into tax slaves.

You can't vote them out. They control the elections board and the counting of the votes. Both the Republican and Democrat parties are following the instructions of the Communist elite. They are two sides of the same coin. Neither are out to protect our rights and freedoms. There is only one answer now to the condition we the people have found ourselves in. It is the same answer that our ancestors found in 1775. It is our RIGHT under the constitution to rise up and throw our government out by force. The more the people are brain washed into believing that guns are bad the closer we get to full Communist control. If you don't believe me, watch this.

[video=youtube;t6L1Lt6WMIc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6L1Lt6WMIc[/video]