• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fire-Mission for VA OC'ers

Walt_Kowalski

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I agree with the notion of abolishing the GFSZ law, but signing a petition is, IMNSHO, not the way to go about making that happen.

An email to your three Congresscritters, followed up by phone calls to both their local district office and their DC ofice, stands a much better chance of actually getting their attention. Identifying pro-RKBA members of both houses, even if they do not directly represent your District/State, and communicating your support for a bill to repeal the GFSZ law beats signing a petition.

Quite frankly, IMNSHO, these petitions are just another means of placating the populace into believing they have "done something." It takes work to make something like this happen. For some an email and a phone call a week really is hard work - but my limited experience is that folks think it is hard work because they think they do not know what to say or how to say it. The truth is that almost none of the correspondence/phone calls ever reach the Representative/Senator directly. But that's OK, because some legislative aide is feeding them a daily/weekly/monthly tally of the number of contacts for and against juist about every issue under the sun. Also, if you become a frequent correspondent/caller you may be able to develop a personal relationship with the legislative aide- which means your contacts carry just a little bit more weight than a contact from a one-time writer/caller.

Again, I fully support the repeal of the GFSZ law, but just cannot get behind the notion that a petition will have any impact.

stay saafe.

Walt_Kowalski

I Understand what you are saying, however I feel that having a lot of folks take a few seconds to sign this, will give us more 'ammunition' to take to our congressman, to show that we don't want more gun control, but less.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Walt,

I understand your point. I hope you understand that most politicians look on petitions as a sop to keep the masses quiet and feeling they have "done something."

You want to get your elected representative's attention? Not sure just how to do it or what to say? Go here http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?109664-emails-to-Congress for some ideas. (I in no way claim to be the world's best, or even 2,653,985,821st best) letter writer. But for someone who needs a little help, there it is. Put 25,00 emails on each of your Congresscritters' desks and compare that to a petition. Copy/paste and a little editing takes no more time than signing a petition.

stay safe.