Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Ban all "low-powered" assault rifles for the children

  1. #1
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763

    Ban all "low-powered" assault rifles for the children

    So while the media is out talking about "high powered assault weapons" and "high caliber weapons"

    One columnist is going bravely where none have gone before,

    the AR-15 is a problem because it is not powerful enough

    As Robert Treadway wrote in this column

    The AR-15, far more than any other weapon, is easy for an inexperienced shooter to learn to use, because of its light recoil and pistol grip, and the fact that its light recoil makes firing multiple rounds without breaking sight far easier than firing a .30 calibre rifle. It is easy for an inexperienced marksman to fire many rounds from an AR-15 without fatigue from the recoil; even the experienced shoulder gets sore after just a few shots from a .30 calibre rifle.
    So there we go, just ban .223 ARs and require all assault weapons be chambered in at least .308 and voila presto fix-o no more mass shootings.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  2. #2
    Regular Member Keylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    OKC
    Posts
    197
    Ban schools.

    Fixes two problems at the minimum at the same time... turning out indoctrinated, worthless punks and eliminates a gun free zone.

  3. #3
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Keylock View Post
    Ban schools.

    Fixes two problems at the minimum at the same time... turning out indoctrinated, worthless punks and eliminates a gun free zone.
    I just have to wonder would it not be much more cost effective to let parents home school, and wouldn't that lower unemployment, make for a much stronger family bond?
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  4. #4
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    So there we go, just ban .223 ARs and require all assault weapons be chambered in at least .308 and voila presto fix-o no more mass shootings.
    Since .308 is the actual diameter of a .30 caliber bullet.... That is just another way of saying .30 caliber.

    Given that. I have fired the AK-47 that fires a .30 caliber bullet, no recoil issues at all.

    So for a 30-06 I have a limbsaver recoil pad on it. So no recoil issues there.
    12 gauge 3.5" shells, can fire all day long with out bruising thanks to the same pad.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  5. #5
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    Since .308 is the actual diameter of a .30 caliber bullet.... That is just another way of saying .30 caliber.

    Given that. I have fired the AK-47 that fires a .30 caliber bullet, no recoil issues at all.

    So for a 30-06 I have a limbsaver recoil pad on it. So no recoil issues there.
    12 gauge 3.5" shells, can fire all day long with out bruising thanks to the same pad.
    I fired .30-06 for the first time yesterday, got to fire a Pump Action .30-06 rifle that was a gift to my younger brother for popping deer, nice hunting rifle I think..

    And of course, I got to fire an M-1 Garand rifle, the Garand needs a limbsaver, that rifle kicks like a mule.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  6. #6
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,270
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I just have to wonder would it not be much more cost effective to let parents home school, and wouldn't that lower unemployment, make for a much stronger family bond?
    A two working parent household would have to become a one working parent household. Technically that would be voluntary unemployment and not a layoff. This means that that parent would not be counted in the unemployment figures each week/month. I am not familiar with unemployment compensation and voluntary unemployment.

    There is the school teachers and school staff that would no longer be required. The trades would be impacted due to no new schools being built, or the repair/renovation of existing schools. School district level employees would be unaffected and employment at that level expanded to be able to effectively monitor the "learning" transpiring in the home.

    At the federal level the US Department of Education would effectively be obsolete except for a few pencil pushers to pust stats to the BLS to report education metrics.

    Don't even get me started on what the education unions are gunna say or do. man, I don't want to be anywhere near that conflagration.

    Property taxes would no longer need to reflect the requirement to support public education. Though, citizens not benefiting from public schools currently cuz they don't have kids in school will receive a much deserved tax break.

    I believe that there would be serious challenges to kids meeting the required academic achievement goals, standards for a more often used term. Not every parent is qualified or suitable to teach any given subject or all of the "required" subjects.

    Home schooling should definitely improve the family bond, but don't tell liberals that, it has taken them many decades to plant the notion that parents, in the traditional sense, are the root of today's' societal ills. And that the "state" is the fix for society's ills such as the negative impact of the traditional family structure on society.

    Other than the family bond part of home schooling, home schooling ain't a bad idea in 2013.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  7. #7
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    I fired .30-06 for the first time yesterday, got to fire a Pump Action .30-06 rifle that was a gift to my younger brother for popping deer, nice hunting rifle I think..

    And of course, I got to fire an M-1 Garand rifle, the Garand needs a limbsaver, that rifle kicks like a mule.
    Lets go to the range then you can try a Mosin Nagant. That would leave me bruised for a week I would then go back out and do it again the next weekend.

    I miss living in AZ sometimes.
    Last edited by Freedom1Man; 01-04-2013 at 11:50 PM.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  8. #8
    Regular Member Keylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    OKC
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I just have to wonder would it not be much more cost effective to let parents home school, and wouldn't that lower unemployment, make for a much stronger family bond?
    This would break the plan of the PTB who pushed for both men and women to be in the workforce and in debt and enslaved to them for a string of binary digits that don't even exist.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    i think that the anti-gunner is actually making the case why ARs are protected.

    they are easy to shoot and easy to hit your target.

    what does he want? guns that are hard to shoot shoot and are inaccurate?

    or how about spikes on the butt so you only want to shoot it once?

  10. #10
    Regular Member sharkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,066
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    I got to fire an M-1 Garand rifle, the Garand needs a limbsaver, that rifle kicks like a mule.
    Drooling. I'm in love with the M-1. I love the thump in your chest when you shoot it.

  11. #11
    Regular Member carolina guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    1,790
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I just have to wonder would it not be much more cost effective to let parents home school, and wouldn't that lower unemployment, make for a much stronger family bond?
    We already can (and do). :-) It would be nice to recover my property taxes, however.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

  12. #12
    Regular Member carolina guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    1,790
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    A two working parent household would have to become a one working parent household. Technically that would be voluntary unemployment and not a layoff. This means that that parent would not be counted in the unemployment figures each week/month. I am not familiar with unemployment compensation and voluntary unemployment.

    There is the school teachers and school staff that would no longer be required. The trades would be impacted due to no new schools being built, or the repair/renovation of existing schools. School district level employees would be unaffected and employment at that level expanded to be able to effectively monitor the "learning" transpiring in the home.

    At the federal level the US Department of Education would effectively be obsolete except for a few pencil pushers to pust stats to the BLS to report education metrics.

    Don't even get me started on what the education unions are gunna say or do. man, I don't want to be anywhere near that conflagration.

    Property taxes would no longer need to reflect the requirement to support public education. Though, citizens not benefiting from public schools currently cuz they don't have kids in school will receive a much deserved tax break.

    I believe that there would be serious challenges to kids meeting the required academic achievement goals, standards for a more often used term. Not every parent is qualified or suitable to teach any given subject or all of the "required" subjects.

    Home schooling should definitely improve the family bond, but don't tell liberals that, it has taken them many decades to plant the notion that parents, in the traditional sense, are the root of today's' societal ills. And that the "state" is the fix for society's ills such as the negative impact of the traditional family structure on society.

    Other than the family bond part of home schooling, home schooling ain't a bad idea in 2013.
    You need to look at the "achievement" tests they are giving nowadays...I am thinking that someone that is almost unconscious could mimic the progress in schools. ;-)
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

  13. #13
    Regular Member carolina guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    1,790
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    i think that the anti-gunner is actually making the case why ARs are protected.

    they are easy to shoot and easy to hit your target.

    what does he want? guns that are hard to shoot shoot and are inaccurate?

    or how about spikes on the butt so you only want to shoot it once?
    Well...with the panic buying that happened and as popular as the AR and AK's have become in recent years, they have essentially screwed themselves since they are no longer unusual and uncommon, so I believe that the SCOTUS (DC v Heller and US v Miller) has precluded that class of firearms from restrictions.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    i think that the anti-gunner is actually making the case why ARs are protected.

    they are easy to shoot and easy to hit your target.

    what does he want? guns that are hard to shoot shoot and are inaccurate?

    or how about spikes on the butt so you only want to shoot it once?
    Good point. I believe that all those who wish to diminish my rights should only be allowed to drive cars that have a big spike in place of any airbag on the steering wheel. That way they are forced to either pay more attention to driving or suffer.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  15. #15
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina guy View Post
    You need to look at the "achievement" tests they are giving nowadays...I am thinking that someone that is almost unconscious could mimic the progress in schools. ;-)
    No kidding, If I built houses with the failure rate teachers have.........

    A few of the kids in my neighborhood are home schooled in a coop program everything is computerized the parents don't do much, and then they go for monthly test. They are a lot more knowledgeable than the most of the state educated kids.

    Quote Originally Posted by carolina guy View Post
    Well...with the panic buying that happened and as popular as the AR and AK's have become in recent years, they have essentially screwed themselves since they are no longer unusual and uncommon, so I believe that the SCOTUS (DC v Heller and US v Miller) has precluded that class of firearms from restrictions.
    Hmmmm new tactic, anytime they threaten a ban, everybody run out and buy one.....
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  16. #16
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    Lets go to the range then you can try a Mosin Nagant. That would leave me bruised for a week I would then go back out and do it again the next weekend.

    I miss living in AZ sometimes.
    I've fired a Mosin before actually.

    Strangley enough I shoot better with a Mosin then an AR-15, and out to much greater distances. And recoil has never bother me much on those. Don't know why, but both .30-06s I've fired simply recoil harder then 7.62x54R

    The other rifles I really like are the .35 Remington pump, and the #1 Mk. III Enfield.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  17. #17
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    I've fired a Mosin before actually.

    Strangley enough I shoot better with a Mosin than an AR-15, and out to much greater distances. And recoil has never bother me much on those. Don't know why, but both .30-06s I've fired simply recoil harder then 7.62x54R

    The other rifles I really like are the .35 Remington pump, and the #1 Mk. III Enfield.
    Fixed it.

    When I was shooting my Mosin Nagant I was able to hit the 100 and 300 yard targets with ease the 200 yard target I could never dial in from a bench.

    Standing I don't remember the ranges because I was shooting into a pit and whatever stuff was in the pit. A friend and I where at that pit and another shooter let us try his 45/70 rifle. It was a spot on rifle. The bullet went right where I had expected it to go.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •