• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ban all "low-powered" assault rifles for the children

EMNofSeattle

So while the media is out talking about "high powered assault weapons" and "high caliber weapons"

One columnist is going bravely where none have gone before,

the AR-15 is a problem because it is not powerful enough

As Robert Treadway wrote in this column

The AR-15, far more than any other weapon, is easy for an inexperienced shooter to learn to use, because of its light recoil and pistol grip, and the fact that its light recoil makes firing multiple rounds without breaking sight far easier than firing a .30 calibre rifle. It is easy for an inexperienced marksman to fire many rounds from an AR-15 without fatigue from the recoil; even the experienced shoulder gets sore after just a few shots from a .30 calibre rifle.

So there we go, just ban .223 ARs and require all assault weapons be chambered in at least .308 and voila presto fix-o no more mass shootings.

Keylock

Ban schools.

Fixes two problems at the minimum at the same time... turning out indoctrinated, worthless punks and eliminates a gun free zone.

WalkingWolf

Ban schools.

Fixes two problems at the minimum at the same time... turning out indoctrinated, worthless punks and eliminates a gun free zone.

I just have to wonder would it not be much more cost effective to let parents home school, and wouldn't that lower unemployment, make for a much stronger family bond?

Freedom1Man

So there we go, just ban .223 ARs and require all assault weapons be chambered in at least .308 and voila presto fix-o no more mass shootings.

Since .308 is the actual diameter of a .30 caliber bullet.... That is just another way of saying .30 caliber.

Given that. I have fired the AK-47 that fires a .30 caliber bullet, no recoil issues at all.

So for a 30-06 I have a limbsaver recoil pad on it. So no recoil issues there.
12 gauge 3.5" shells, can fire all day long with out bruising thanks to the same pad.

EMNofSeattle

Since .308 is the actual diameter of a .30 caliber bullet.... That is just another way of saying .30 caliber.

Given that. I have fired the AK-47 that fires a .30 caliber bullet, no recoil issues at all.

So for a 30-06 I have a limbsaver recoil pad on it. So no recoil issues there.
12 gauge 3.5" shells, can fire all day long with out bruising thanks to the same pad.

I fired .30-06 for the first time yesterday, got to fire a Pump Action .30-06 rifle that was a gift to my younger brother for popping deer, nice hunting rifle I think..

And of course, I got to fire an M-1 Garand rifle, the Garand needs a limbsaver, that rifle kicks like a mule.

OC for ME

I just have to wonder would it not be much more cost effective to let parents home school, and wouldn't that lower unemployment, make for a much stronger family bond?
A two working parent household would have to become a one working parent household. Technically that would be voluntary unemployment and not a layoff. This means that that parent would not be counted in the unemployment figures each week/month. I am not familiar with unemployment compensation and voluntary unemployment.

There is the school teachers and school staff that would no longer be required. The trades would be impacted due to no new schools being built, or the repair/renovation of existing schools. School district level employees would be unaffected and employment at that level expanded to be able to effectively monitor the "learning" transpiring in the home.

At the federal level the US Department of Education would effectively be obsolete except for a few pencil pushers to pust stats to the BLS to report education metrics.

Don't even get me started on what the education unions are gunna say or do. man, I don't want to be anywhere near that conflagration.

Property taxes would no longer need to reflect the requirement to support public education. Though, citizens not benefiting from public schools currently cuz they don't have kids in school will receive a much deserved tax break.

I believe that there would be serious challenges to kids meeting the required academic achievement goals, standards for a more often used term. Not every parent is qualified or suitable to teach any given subject or all of the "required" subjects.

Home schooling should definitely improve the family bond, but don't tell liberals that, it has taken them many decades to plant the notion that parents, in the traditional sense, are the root of today's' societal ills. And that the "state" is the fix for society's ills such as the negative impact of the traditional family structure on society.

Other than the family bond part of home schooling, home schooling ain't a bad idea in 2013.

Freedom1Man

I fired .30-06 for the first time yesterday, got to fire a Pump Action .30-06 rifle that was a gift to my younger brother for popping deer, nice hunting rifle I think..

And of course, I got to fire an M-1 Garand rifle, the Garand needs a limbsaver, that rifle kicks like a mule.

Lets go to the range then you can try a Mosin Nagant. That would leave me bruised for a week I would then go back out and do it again the next weekend.

I miss living in AZ sometimes.

Last edited:

Keylock

This would break the plan of the PTB who pushed for both men and women to be in the workforce and in debt and enslaved to them for a string of binary digits that don't even exist.

davidmcbeth

Banned
i think that the anti-gunner is actually making the case why ARs are protected.

they are easy to shoot and easy to hit your target.

what does he want? guns that are hard to shoot shoot and are inaccurate?

or how about spikes on the butt so you only want to shoot it once?

carolina guy

A two working parent household would have to become a one working parent household. Technically that would be voluntary unemployment and not a layoff. This means that that parent would not be counted in the unemployment figures each week/month. I am not familiar with unemployment compensation and voluntary unemployment.

There is the school teachers and school staff that would no longer be required. The trades would be impacted due to no new schools being built, or the repair/renovation of existing schools. School district level employees would be unaffected and employment at that level expanded to be able to effectively monitor the "learning" transpiring in the home.

At the federal level the US Department of Education would effectively be obsolete except for a few pencil pushers to pust stats to the BLS to report education metrics.

Don't even get me started on what the education unions are gunna say or do. man, I don't want to be anywhere near that conflagration.

Property taxes would no longer need to reflect the requirement to support public education. Though, citizens not benefiting from public schools currently cuz they don't have kids in school will receive a much deserved tax break.

I believe that there would be serious challenges to kids meeting the required academic achievement goals, standards for a more often used term. Not every parent is qualified or suitable to teach any given subject or all of the "required" subjects.

Home schooling should definitely improve the family bond, but don't tell liberals that, it has taken them many decades to plant the notion that parents, in the traditional sense, are the root of today's' societal ills. And that the "state" is the fix for society's ills such as the negative impact of the traditional family structure on society.

Other than the family bond part of home schooling, home schooling ain't a bad idea in 2013.

You need to look at the "achievement" tests they are giving nowadays...I am thinking that someone that is almost unconscious could mimic the progress in schools. ;-)

carolina guy

Well...with the panic buying that happened and as popular as the AR and AK's have become in recent years, they have essentially screwed themselves since they are no longer unusual and uncommon, so I believe that the SCOTUS (DC v Heller and US v Miller) has precluded that class of firearms from restrictions.

Freedom1Man

Good point. I believe that all those who wish to diminish my rights should only be allowed to drive cars that have a big spike in place of any airbag on the steering wheel. That way they are forced to either pay more attention to driving or suffer.

sudden valley gunner

You need to look at the "achievement" tests they are giving nowadays...I am thinking that someone that is almost unconscious could mimic the progress in schools. ;-)

No kidding, If I built houses with the failure rate teachers have.........

A few of the kids in my neighborhood are home schooled in a coop program everything is computerized the parents don't do much, and then they go for monthly test. They are a lot more knowledgeable than the most of the state educated kids.

Well...with the panic buying that happened and as popular as the AR and AK's have become in recent years, they have essentially screwed themselves since they are no longer unusual and uncommon, so I believe that the SCOTUS (DC v Heller and US v Miller) has precluded that class of firearms from restrictions.

Hmmmm new tactic, anytime they threaten a ban, everybody run out and buy one.....;)

EMNofSeattle

Lets go to the range then you can try a Mosin Nagant. That would leave me bruised for a week I would then go back out and do it again the next weekend.

I miss living in AZ sometimes.

I've fired a Mosin before actually.

Strangley enough I shoot better with a Mosin then an AR-15, and out to much greater distances. And recoil has never bother me much on those. Don't know why, but both .30-06s I've fired simply recoil harder then 7.62x54R

The other rifles I really like are the .35 Remington pump, and the #1 Mk. III Enfield.

Freedom1Man

I've fired a Mosin before actually.

Strangley enough I shoot better with a Mosin than an AR-15, and out to much greater distances. And recoil has never bother me much on those. Don't know why, but both .30-06s I've fired simply recoil harder then 7.62x54R

The other rifles I really like are the .35 Remington pump, and the #1 Mk. III Enfield.
Fixed it.

When I was shooting my Mosin Nagant I was able to hit the 100 and 300 yard targets with ease the 200 yard target I could never dial in from a bench.

Standing I don't remember the ranges because I was shooting into a pit and whatever stuff was in the pit. A friend and I where at that pit and another shooter let us try his 45/70 rifle. It was a spot on rifle. The bullet went right where I had expected it to go.